Honda ST1300 Section > Oils, Oil Filters & Servicing ST1300

Q. Regarding oil level glass

(1/2) > >>

Draco (Heartbreak Kid):
 :blu13 Hi all happy new year. Does anyone know about oil glass inspection and level. I have just completed an oil change ran the bike with 3.7 litres of oil and waited to check oil level. The glass shows empty?? :eek any answers or theories??  :blu13left

StinkyPete:
Draco, have a read of this thread.....    http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=12263.msg1227628#msg1227628

The "Owners Manual" says to run the engine for 3-5 minutes, and then let the bike stand for 2-3 minutes before checking the oil level. (See Page 96)    The manual also states that she takes 3.9 litres, so I'd say that you simply have not yet put in enough oil.   Fill to half way between the marks on the glass with the bike on level ground and on the centre stand.   :thumb

Nigel:
Hi Rob, just be careful, it is so easy to overfill, and the sight glass goes black as you cant see the silver backing. My younger bro does this more often than not on his Beemer. On my 1100 there are two tiny marks on the sight glass about 2 maybe 3 mil down from the top use a torch if you have to, makes it easier. With 3.7 it should be in the glass.
Nigel

Draco (Heartbreak Kid):

--- Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2018, 04:10:50 PM ---Hi Rob, just be careful, it is so easy to overfill, and the sight glass goes black as you cant see the silver backing. My younger bro does this more often than not on his Beemer. On my 1100 there are two tiny marks on the sight glass about 2 maybe 3 mil down from the top use a torch if you have to, makes it easier. With 3.7 it should be in the glass.
Nigel

--- End quote ---

:blu13 Well I put another .2 of a litre to make 3.9 and still the oil refuses to show itself present.  :think1 :cuss BUT for sure I know there is 3.9 litres in there :|||| :|||| :blu13left

StinkyPete:
With a filter change, I'm pretty sure I put in more that 4.0 litres to get to the middle of the sight glass.

I usually put in 4.0 lt, run the bike for a couple of minutes, give it a few of minutes to settle, and then top up the oil to get to the middle of the glass.    If it's not in the middle of glass when on level ground and on the centrestand, you need to add a bit more until it get's there, but remember that it will take a minute or so for it to drain down to the sump after you add a little more oil.  There's nothing to worry about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version