General Category > Members Health & Wellbeing

Mental Health

(1/6) > >>

Big Gaz:
As a guy who is battling depression and anxiety .
I had given up , as i thought the world had given up on me. I could not function properly , i was a wreck and a disaster waiting to happen .
I went on stress leave for 5 weeks late last yr . i listen and took in what my GP and Physiologist were saying ... i built a bridge with help and survived .
Even though to this day im treated like a leper at work from senior management , my fellow work mates and friends finally gave me the chance to say what was on my mind and if needed they were critical of some of the stuff i put out and i repsected their comments before burning their house down. (joking ... it was great)
tTo cut a long story short , dont walk away from your mates when they need you the most .
just friendly banter is so under rated .
We dont want sympathy just understanding and some one to care enough to ask are you ok . Thank God i found my ST   

StinkyPete:
Garry,
Its good that you are prepared to speak openly about your depression and thanks for sharing.  It's terrible problem and I've had work colleagues who have suffered badly, and even taken their own lives.   Part of the management seems to be the presence of supportive family, understanding friends with whom you can discuss your depression, and taking part activities that you love and give you purpose.    For me, riding the long hauls solo gives me the headspace (helmet time) I often crave and need.

To other OzSTOC members, never neglect to ask "R U OK" if someone seems to be struggling.

Pete

alans1100:
I do have some mild depression and more than likely from being out of work for so long (just over 7 years) and all the related job search issues these days plus chronic lower back pain. Doc put me a low dose of anti depressants which did help. Not bad enough for a mental health issue and physical disability for a pension at the moment even though the lower spine is gradually getting worse.

Not to bad this year having gone into some volunteer work which has taken a lot of the stress away from applying for work you know you won't get. Getting the casual grain harvest work on the weighbridge with Viterra for the last two seasons as also helped a lot and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Gadget:
Thanks four the open and honest sharing.

I've lost a couple of friends to the Black Dog, which is why I'm a supporter of the Black Dog Ride.

https://www.blackdogride.com.au/

A friend of mine recommends the local Men's Shed.

https://mensshed.org/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shillas:
Garry,

You're not alone in dealing with this. It's great you feel secure enough to post about your struggle.

Have dealt with my own struggles, got through with friends, meds & a good psychologist. I much prefered that outcome than seeing workmates & neighbours take their lives.

And a good bike keeps me in a good place.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version