Honda ST1100 Section > Oils, Oil Filters & Servicing ST1100

metal piece in oil identification - from oil in sump pan

(1/2) > >>

Asterysk:
I dropped the sump pan off today and found some interesting debris, a piece of thread, some black pliable stuff and some metal shards, its the larger shard I'm especially interested in, I thought maybe it was from the edge of an old oil filter but it could also match the head, any suggestions gratefully received

StinkyPete:
Wow!   That doesn't look good, and is perhaps a good reason to be using a magnetic sump plug.

ruSTynutz:
 :fp :eek

Biggles:
Any one of those bits would be a concern, but a collection like that would cause a lot of people to tear the engine down.
In this case it could be evidence of way too long between oil changes, but even that would produce shards of metal.
You might just have to change the oil again after 1000 kays and see what's in there.  Any more trash like that and the engine has to be overhauled.  That's assuming it doesn't develop a horrible noise before then!

Asterysk:

--- Quote from: Biggles on April 12, 2020, 08:09:57 PM ---Any one of those bits would be a concern, but a collection like that would cause a lot of people to tear the engine down.
In this case it could be evidence of way too long between oil changes, but even that would produce shards of metal.
You might just have to change the oil again after 1000 kays and see what's in there.  Any more trash like that and the engine has to be overhauled.  That's assuming it doesn't develop a horrible noise before then!

--- End quote ---
I am at  the stage of heads off, gearbox out now and nothing obvious, I'll just keep going and if I get to the crank I'll pull it out and do a bit of piston polishing and honing to try and get some benefit ! Thankfully it is coming apart easily so easy that I think its been apart before

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version