Honda ST1100 Section > Honda ST1100 General Questions

Checking and changing Valve Shims on an ST1100

<< < (2/10) > >>

alans1100:
I had my valves clearances checked for the first time at 120,000 kms......still within spec which surprised me.

kappy5003:
Mine has done about 96,000k so could still be ok. :wht11

I think I need to re sync the carbies again, last time I used a home made vacuum gauge that was a bit iffy. :H

Does anyone know where I may be able borrow or hire a decent set up in WA. :thumbs

Cheers
Kappy

kappy5003:
The other day I checked all the clearances seems as thought the right bank are just on the minimum of 0.006 in for inlet and 0.009 in for exhaust, on the left the front  2 inlet were 0.005 in back 2 inlet 0.006 and the front 2 exhaust were 0.008 and 0.009 respectively and other 2, 0.009. So if I've measured correctly there is several that definitely need doing, so I may as well do the lot.

When doing the shims would it be advisable  to take them to the high end ie inlet 0.007 and the exhaust 0.011 or middle of the road in which case I will only have a few to do??

On the thought of shims, can anyone recommend anywhere local (Perth) where I can get reasonably priced kits.

Here's one for the gurus several weeks before I pulled the STeed of the road I noticed she wasn't running as smoothly bit more noisier than normal, could that be the shims or the maybe the carbs needing syncing??

As I was pulling all the Tupperware off I notice clutch fluid down a bit, so I bled the system completely replacing with new fluid, gravity bleed.
On another note my front wheel has a little dent in it bit out of balance, (from a old lending experience, No details to boring :H) Is there anywhere in Perth where I can get it straightened once again for  :thumbs$$ as I can get good 2nd hand ex UK including post for around $140  ..

Cheers
Kappy   

saaz:
If you are going to do a few shims, may as well do as many as you can when the cams are out.  Clearances should be set at the upper end as they always close up on the STs.  That way you won't have to do the job for ages. The carb synch should be done after the valves have been adjusted.  I have a shim kit but not much use to you over there.

kappy5003:
That was my thought as well, guess I really wont know what shims I'll need to I pull them out and measure what in there now, I I'll also need a micrometer to measure the old one, as I believe the thickness may not be on the old ones.

I can get a kit from eBay for around $80 in including postage is that the norm in Oz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version