Honda ST1100 Section > Suspension ST1100

Fork oil replacemen.

(1/3) > >>

Shane:
Hi Can someone tell me how to replace the fork oil on the st1100 and when does it need to be replaced. the manual does not seem to give me clear intructions although i am no mechanic.

Brock:
As far as I know, its not one of those regular items. The oil is replaced when work is done on the springs, or if you want to try a heavier oil to change the damping rate. (Thicker oil slower/better damping)

saaz:
Every few years is a good idea, as it does get dark and horrible.

The proper way to do it is to drain the oil, remove the springs, rinse the forks out, collapse the forks and put in new oil up to the specified oil level.  The fork that has the anti-dive on it (right on standard models, left on later ABS) can be a pain to do as the spring has to be compressed to fit under a collar.

A shortcut way is to drain the oil in each fork into a measuring container, and put the same amount of new oil back in.

Bikebear:
To drain the forks (at least on the '99 model I have) the forks have to be removed from the bike and the oil tipped out the top.  I have planned to do mine since I want to check everything out and maybe up the viscosity a litle since I am 2XL size.

I guess when I do it I should take photos (or maybe get the missus to)and do a write up.

saaz:
I forgot that the 96 on ABS models don't have drain screws in the forks, so you have to remove them.  I have never worked on one of them.

And should also mention that anyone with a police version, the correct oil level (and springs if you are replacing them) is the same as the pre-96 ABS models, not the same as the standard civilian models.  The Honda police supplement has the correct specifications. The oil weight in the police model is 10W equivalent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version