Honda ST1100 Section > Ask A Tech about your Honda ST1100

Re: ST1100 power loss Question

(1/3) > >>

hobs:
Hi HT,

I will start the flood of requests for advicefrom your valuable experience. Have an ST1100 that prior to my ownership was sat idle and neglected in the previous owners yard for 2yrs. Have repaired, rebuilt, replaced and polished the poor neglected STeed. Have pulled the carbys off and cleaned out the jets, checked the diaphrams and put back together. Have removed and cleaned the tank form residue and old gas. Bike starts every time, cold or hot, idles reasonable, but lacks power, seems to not pull on all cylinders. Had it briefly looked at by bike shop before moving to SA, who advised me to run some carby/injector cleaner to clean off any residue. Have done that for 2 tankfulls and seems to run better, but not right.

What do you advise for my next actions to determine cause of power loss. Am working in Whyalla at moment and professional advice is Adelaide, which is a bit far away to drop in on.

Cheers,
Hobs

Abe:
Hi Hobs,

I had a flat spot in my 1100 when I first got her, but all good now as I did:-

Adjusted float level
Adjusted pilot jet
Replaced carb insulators (4) make sure they are secured with clamps.
Carby sync on the 3 adjustable carb's (No.4 is not adjustable, and if correct your base for the others)
Replaced air filter (K&N)
Replaced spark plugs

In the Haynes service and repair manual for 90-01 models states:-

Poor running or no power at high speed

Air filter restricted
Spark plugs fouled, defective or worn out
Spark plug caps or HT wiring defective
Spark plug caps not in good contact
Incorrect spark plugs. Wrong type, heat range or cap configuration.
Ignition control unit defective
Ignition coils defective

These are just a few things you can start checking and crossing off the list of possibles.

Cheers
Dave

honda tech:
Hi hobs.
Ok. Good job for striping and cleaning the carbs. First thing that should be been done.
As said about. Spark plugs and air filter replace. There not expensive and a good thing to do anyway. Plug oil and filter if its not been done. I've had a few 1100s that have been stood and the carbs leak a small amount of fuel in the motor. So do that if not been done.
Also with the fuel cleaner. It's a gimmick thing. They don't work.
I do use a engine conditioner by three bond that is the bees kness. It's tricky to use it but works 100% of the time. Best stuff ever.
But... Before that. I'd do a valve clearance check. And check the fuel lines etc. also I've found bees nests and even rats nests in air boxes etc so check that.

Please don't go changing air/fuel mixtures. Useless someone's played with them they don't need adjusting. Check the plugs colors.
Give all that a go and let me no how you go.
Good luck.
Ht

saaz:
Quite often a simple spark plug change does wonders, and as HT says is a cheap thing to do

hobs:
have changed the spark plugs already to see if that help. Just about to go out and fiddle and see what I can and maybe chance on the problem. Will not 'tweek' anything that I can't 'untweek' if need be. Hopefully will find something that works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version