Author Topic: Oxford Heated Grips  (Read 14275 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Oxford Heated Grips
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Well it got down to 9c in Brisbane the other day and now that I have arthritic pain in both my hands decided it was time to bite the bullet and buy some heated grips.
I looked at the cheapies on e-bay and the fitting videos and the fact that they warm to the efficiency of 10 watts. The Oxfords although 200 times dearer heat to 45 watts and come with a controller and an auto switch off (2013 model). So I thought this was the set for me.
Looked through this forum and whilst there are general remarks about the Oxfords nothing too detailed eg which type for the ST1100. I purchased (via e-bay $120) a set to touring grips (wrong) way too short, should have gone for the "Adventure" model. Mistake 1. Second the old grips came off pretty easy with the wife's hair dryer. As recommended used the super glue on the first (throttle) side. Mistake 2. The glue only jams the grip 3/4 of the way up and makes it impossible to slide it all the way on. And it's on so dame tight that it isn't going to slip no matter what.
Finished the rest of the install as stated, without issue.
Checked all the connections and all is working however - and this is a question for the guys with these fitted already.

Is it my perception or is the throttle grip cooler on the (R) from the (L) - or are my grips faulty. What might explain the difference is that the (R) side has a nylon sleeve and the (L) is solid steel.

Feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
Adrian.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:17:26 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Oxford Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I've only had the grips on for one long ride (over 1000 kays a few weeks ago) and they're both great, and the same temperature.  I would deduce not having the right one fully on due to the super-glue is your problem.  Heat is being lost by its not being held in by the throttle cylinder.  I bought mine on eBay, but picked them up from the warehouse here on northside Brisbane.  They warned me about the superglue and supplied a two-pack "Araldite" glue.  I honestly used no glue on either side because they fit so snugly.

You might try the hairdryer on the throttle side to see if it will weaken the super glue.  No promises if it doesn't work, but I'll take the credit if it does!   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
As I couldn't get the grip on with the super glue I removed it completely. The heating differences may be due to a weaker heating coil on the (R) side. To aid the slide on I found that a bit of talc helped.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
Like Biggles, I didn't use much if any superglue on the grips. I would rather be able to remove at a later stage if need be. As a precaution, I did put two drop each side to stop the twist.
Removing grips is easier with an air compressor. A blast of air up the jacksie does wonders.

There should not be any difference between RH and LH, with regard to heat. They should be the same temp.
It is possible to replace the adventure grips at a later stage if you want too. The grips are interchangeable with what ever controller.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
I have heard that hairspray is good for getting the grips on, and when it drys it acts like a glue, keeping everything fixed.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
During a really cold Tassie ride last week I also noticed that the right was a little cooler.  As I didnt fit them I am unsure why but its not an issue.

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
I have heard that hairspray is good for getting the grips on, and when it drys it acts like a glue, keeping everything fixed.

Did just that but now i have two cable ties on right hand grip holding it on tight because slipping

Will take off and use a little silicon  :think1

Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

Offline Bluey

• Burleigh Heads, Qld
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
I have Oxfords on my 1100 and I do not notice any real difference in temperature left to right. I love them!

Not all super glues are the same - it is possible to get a gel super glue that takes longer to cure - Bunnings have it and that is what was recommended to me by a bike shop.
'99 ST1100

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
Not all super glues are the same - it is possible to get a gel super glue that takes longer to cure - Bunnings have it and that is what was recommended to me by a bike shop.

Good suggestion I get a tube next time I'm up there.
Cheers.

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
There is a noticeable difference in the temps between right and left.

Also found the same when researching which are the best brands. So I knew about it in advance.

Some say it's because we take our hand off the left grip more than the right grip and it cools somewhat.

The difference in mine is only marginal but does exist.

Still, wouldn't be without them!

P.S. Greetings from Venice, Italy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:22:04 PM by SToz »
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
P.S. Greetings from Venice, Italy.

Taking a FarRide to an extreme, aren't you?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
A piece of 25mm Heat shrink fitted onto the Left handle bar under the grip will generally even out the heat variation issue......

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:25:36 AM »
Put a set of Hippo Hands over the top, Oxfords on 40% (2nd setting) and summer gloves and I rode 1297 km in temps from -2 to 9 degrees without an issue.  I agree with the way we hold the bars being  different, I tend to have a looser grip of the right side.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
Purchased some gel super glue and applied same to left grip. Right is on really tight no movement. Worked really well - Thanks. One other point to note is that the right grip should be placed as per the instructions however the left grip needs to be rotated anti-clockwise otherwise the lead interferes with the clutch.
Cheers,
A.

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
Well it got down to 9c in Brisbane the other day........

9c ??   You poor bugger Wot thuh    Not a lot of sympathy from us southerners I'm afraid.  We are freezing out bits off here in Adelaide today with 9c  at the moment and drizzling ice water. I have Oxfords fitted to my ST1300 and only notice a difference in temps when my grip is different from left to right.   I suspect a looser grip on the left and a firm grip on the throttle may explain a different feel from one side to the other.  I used no adhesive of any kind, and both sides are a firm fit with no slipping.  Could not live without my heated grips.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Well you've nearly convinced me to have a look at a set. I've been considering them for a while but loose interest during the summer as the issue is quite the opposite. Coming into winter soon so I am thinking that heated grips might be very attractive during the colder months.
Keith
05 ST1300

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
I've been considering them for a while but loose interest during the summer...........

We turn 'em off during the summer, and thus they are OK for all year around.    :rofl :rofl
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Boy those people in SA are book smart or what...   :fp  :fp  :fp

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
Sorry guys, Honda OEM heated grips are the way to go, a bit more expensive, but both sides the same temp, 4 settings and rarely ever need to set higher than on number 2 setting, on number 3 setting the palms of your hands start to feel too hot (burn) even on the coldest day. Very neat, easy to reach control panel. Coat handles with Honda hand grip glue and spray inside of grips, and handles with Isopropyl, slide grips easily over handles and jiggle into desired position. Isopropyl evaporates wiithin about 30 seconds of sliding them on, and glue sets the handgrips in position. Easypezzy! :thumbsup
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »
Sorry guys, Honda OEM heated grips are the way to go
Didn't even know they made them otherwise I would probably have gone down that path. I was under the impression that all the UK Police bikes were fitted with Oxfords. Seems rather strange they didn't just order them from Honda.
Any idea on cost?
A.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Sorry guys, Honda OEM heated grips are the way to go
Didn't even know they made them otherwise I would probably have gone down that path. I was under the impression that all the UK Police bikes were fitted with Oxfords. Seems rather strange they didn't just order them from Honda.
Any idea on cost?
A.

I didn't think Honda made them any more.
Three of us in Perth have got a brand called CLS. From Motorad Garage. German made. Set and forget.

https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cls

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
Actually it seems Honda still do except for models NT700, ST1100, ST1300, VFR1200, NSA700 and all models of 125cc or lower.
That makes us special, however in not a good way.
A

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
As far as I know they're still available. Like most Honda OEM items they're cheaper to bring in from the USA, I'll try and locate where I brought them from and how much they cost and post it later.  The photos below show the control panel and where it's located, plus the grip. I have them connected through my Quartet Harness and they will only operate while the motor is running! :grin

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
I purchased them from Honda East Toledo in Ohio, USA on 19/8/2011 and they cost $170.99 delivered to me in Tasmania.  I just checked their web site and they're still available, cost is now $$175.00 + shipping $79.00.   They've gone up a little in price since I brought them, but with the dollar value I guess that's to be expected.  Like all Honda products the quality is excellent! :grin

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
OK thanks, so can you link to the web site you found them on?
Keith
05 ST1300