General Category > LONG DISTANCE RIDING, Proper preparation, Safety and Tips

Long distance rides and cramps

(1/4) > >>

ST.George:
G'Day STriders,

My recent trip to Ebor enlightened me more on the problem of cramps and long-distance riding.

First of all, heat and dehydration is the main issue. On the way to the Middleton AGM I was distressed by cramps and turned back on the second day to return to the Gong. I tried to hydrate properly but my heart medicines incompatibility with Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium and Quinine prevented me from using any of the popular commercial products to mitigate the cramps.

On the night b4 the Ebor trip I couldn't get to sleep at all cause of the memories of the Middleton trip. So I started the ride a bit groggy and was worried about this as well.

So how did the Ebor trip go - (a similar day's ride of 8+ hrs)?

Not one serious cramp. Why? Cold weather. No sweating. Instead of being heated by the STeed I was kept warm.

Other factors: Bought an AirHawk cushion. With the smallest amount of air this cushion keeps your tush off the seat and allows circulation to flow. Also, whenever u want u can do a tush-wiggle on the bed of air that is created by the cushion. Might look funny from behind but who cares.  :butt

The only thing I would change is to add a woollen seat cover cause the cushion seems a little slippery and the cover would solve this and the cover would also hide the cushion from scumbag thieves. I lent my seatcover to A2Z to try out on the trip and when he gets his own, it will b going on the AirHawk.

Another factor was the LDComfort underwear that is comfortable but I think is more effective in hot weather because then, far less other undergarments are necessary.

Lastly, a tip from Abe, seems to work for me. I took a thermos of warm chocolate milk along. I also tried this out on my recent trip to Nundle and it seemed to make a difference then as well, (in hot weather). Milk has a small amount of Potassium and Magnesium that is not a problem with my medicines. Plus it provides some rehydration.

So what's the gist of this? Hot weather is much more likely to cause cramps. Good seats are very important. Milk is good. And lastly of course, stop and stretch as often as u feel like.   :runyay

Marcus:
Brilliant! glad you worked it out... I hated reading that ride report of yours about Middleton...

Now you need to narrow it down even more... (you don't want to do all that stuff everytime)

As for the Airhawke. I have mine pumped up alot. As aposed to what everyone says about only having enough air to allow a gap between seat and bum. I noticed that made a big difference to me, personally, sits me higher, kind straightens the legs a bit more.

Or a Hydration Pack
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/OOHYPN2LE/title/ogio-erzberg-550-le-hydration-pack

ST.George:
Thanx Marcus,

Am amazed by your preference for more inflation in the AirHawke. Could it be that the inflation is altering the angle of your seating position to where u really like it and that you don't have any real problem with circulation cause u r younger than me?

Yeah m8, that Middleton ride was so scary. But the adrenaline rush I got from surviving lasted for a week. Surely the best value natural drug high u can get!  :hatwave

Marcus:

--- Quote from: ST.George on July 12, 2013, 04:59:56 PM ---Am amazed by your preference for more inflation in the AirHawke. Could it be that the inflation is altering the angle of your seating position to where u really like it and that you don't have any real problem with circulation cause u r younger than me?

--- End quote ---
Yeah I don't have bad circulation problems, I tried with just a little bit of air but found myself getting numb bum after a while, having more air helped me alot, and also I'm just guessing that straightening the leg angle would also help with circulation flow...

I don't know, but give it a shot. It couldn't hurt.

Biggles:
Part of the problem with having a lot of air in the Hawk is it makes you less firmly placed in the saddle, so when you accelerate you tend to roll back and then forward when you brake.  I'm guessing if you inflate it more than it was when I experienced that, then it becomes firm enough not to cause the "rolling" movement.
Obviously it all boils down to getting it to do what works for you.  That's the beauty of the adjustable pressure feature compared with the gel-seat variety that I wasted money on while experimenting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version