General Category > LONG DISTANCE RIDING, Proper preparation, Safety and Tips

Thinking of Riding Around Australia?

(1/9) > >>

Streak:
Thinking of Riding Around Australia?

You have Ridden Australia?

Post your Questions, Thoughts, Tips, Ideas, Suggestions here

Bikebear:
If you're gonna ride the roads highlighted on that map you better be riding an offroad adventure bike for that bit around the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria, that is not an ST friendly road.

Streak:

--- Quote from: Bikebear on October 14, 2013, 05:02:52 PM ---If you're gonna ride the roads highlighted on that map you better be riding an offroad adventure bike for that bit around the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria, that is not an ST friendly road.

--- End quote ---

Lol it's just an image to give people the idea  :thumb

alans1100:
We've thought about doing this for awhile and over two or three months duration but don't know when yet.

In the past we've done the coastal route from Kingston SA to Sydney and back across to Adelaide via West Wyalong and on another trip we've gone as far as Alice Springs.

On my own I've done around from Adelaide to Pt. Hedland via the coastal route but went via Kalgoorlie rather than Esperance and while at Pt. Hedland I did a ride to Broome. So all I need to do is the route from Broome to Sydney.

Due to prevailing wind conditions I think riding anti clockwise would best. I would tend to stay with the tar when going across QLD so Mount Isa is the way I'd go. With the trailer we are able to camp just about anywhere beside and out of site of the road for free. Money is better in our pocket than someone else's, so why throw it away?

We use roadhouse showers every couple days and we have a portable shower (recycle eski water) as well for use at a camp site and we normally take 3 to 4 days spare of food/water etc and top up at supermarkets along the way. A trip of this length would see us do a similar thing because it works for us.

StinkyPete:

--- Quote from: Streak on October 14, 2013, 05:15:18 PM ---Lol it's just an image to give people the idea  :thumb

--- End quote ---

In early 2015 we plan on going from Adelaide, Tennant Creek, Mt Isa, Townsville, Cooktown and back down the coast and home to Adelaide.   This trip will complete a circumnavigation of Oz for three of my travelling companions.

My tip?
Camp on unpowered sites in caravan parks and use the camp kitchens for cooking, shelter when the weather is bad, and for catching up with other travellers.   Cooking your own meals will save a fortune.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version