Honda ST1100 Section > Ask A Tech about your Honda ST1100

ST1300 head bearing

(1/1)

Richard Court:
 :candystwheelie
I had a new genuine Honda bearing fitted to my 2003 ST1300 about a year ago.  Since then my bike has developed an annoying  front end rattle.  Last week I had the bike serviced and asked the mechanic to rectify the problem which he did by tightening it.  After a short test ride all seemed fine and smooth but then I went for a 400 Kl run on the weekend and on the way home the rattle started to manifest itself once again.  Has anyone else had this problem and  can give me a solution'
when I travel over a rough section of road I hear a "CLUNK CLUNK RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE" :beer

Paul:
 :-[  :eek It sounds like the bearings weren't seat correctly the first time they were fitted, this has happened to me with a previous bike.
I had to adjust  the bearing tension at least twice before they seated properly.  :thumb

:blu13

saaz:
Agree with that. bearing races need to be installed and driven all the way in, then torqued up correctly.  Adjusting it a few times should do the trick.

Richard Court:
 :candystwheelie
Thanks so much guys for your helpful and speedy answers.  I will give it another try. :beer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version