General Category > General Discussion

ST1100/ST1300 Comparison

(1/13) > >>

Totgas:
I'm assuming that a great deal of you have seen the UK youtube video about the differences between an ST1100 and the ST1300 and how this particular rider (who is very experienced) prefers the ST1100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPT5I2-4OsY

Personally having never owned an ST1300 however love the look of them, I have been put off by a test ride last year and the comments I have read/watched regarding some of it's short comings.
My question to those of you that have made the transition is which bike do you prefer and why?

Biggles:
The ST13 is more agile- i.e it turns in easier and generally feels lighter.  The panniers and top box are bigger and better.  It looks sportier.  That said, the ST11 is no slouch, is cheaper, has plenty of power.  The degree of difficulty in removing the plastic and general servicing is about the same, but the ST13 has more spare space under the seats and plastic for things like airhorns and intercoms.  I don't know how the cruise control goes on the ST11, but works well on the 13.

Streak:
Well my experience is 3 years and 30,000km on the ST1100, and 3 weeks and 6,000km on a ST1300, I actually think the difference in the bikes is not massive, but enough that i am happy with my upgrade.

With wind and rain i think you are better protected on the ST1100, so i am very glad i have the wind deflectors on the ST1300.

I find the ST1300 feels lighter to handle turning and tipping into corners and the like, but the ST1100 feels like it sits on the Highway better (hard to describe why).

I am disappointed in the Pie Warmers on the ST1300, i use both on my ST1100, but i find the Left hand lockable one useless on the ST1300 as it gets so bloody hot.

The Sportier look of the ST1300 is a Winner for me also, i have always liked it.

Panniers and topbox are about the same on both for me, but the ST1300 wins as i can put a helmet in the Panniers.

I am on love with the adjustable screen, sounds stupid i know but it makes the bike for me.

ST1100 is Easier to service, and being an older bike it is easier to work on as well.

For pillions Teela has noticed considerably more room for her on the ST1300 over the ST1100, and the foot peg height is more comfortable for her

I bought a 10 year newer bike and it feels like it, i am very pleased to have made the change, but if i had to ride the ST1100 for another couple of years, i would have quite happy to.

gibbo57:
Hi Streak, many thanks for your opinion on the differences you see between the two.   As I am new to the ST line and now own a Ex-Police Pan,  I found the above video and your comments of great help.   I have been toying with the idea of buying a 13 as well, but I may wait for a further 12 months until I get the complete feel of the 11.   Once again many thanks for your view.
Cheers
Gibbo
 ++
 :wht11

Totgas:
Quote "but the ST1300 wins as i can put a helmet in the Panniers"

and you can't with the 1100? - Me thinks you jest, as I've been doing it for years.
A.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version