Honda ST1100 Section > Suspension ST1100

Melbourne Suspension Revalve

<< < (8/9) > >>

Garry_Coates:
It has taken me a while to get 2000 kms ups with an injured knee from trail bike riding. I have settled on the external adjustment settings and all is good.

It is funny how quickly you adjust to improvements and factor that in while cornering. I have to remind myself of what it was like before getting both front and rear suspension done. Not bad for less than $750 parts and labour.

Regards
           Garry

Garry_Coates:
With 183,000km up on the ST it is time to have the suspension freshened up. The nitron rear shock (108,000 km) has been completely rebuilt with a 500lb spring and modified dampening. That now makes both ends > 50% higher spring rates than stock. I would love to talk to the original designer of the ST about this as the oem springs barely carry the bike without a rider. It is always surprising how much the rear suspenion affects the front. This time for good as there is less fore/aft movement and better tyre feel.

I am now reviewing options for the front. It is either a purpose built kit or just freshen up the VTR1000F cartridges previously installed.

I would love to hear of any relevant changes done by others.

Regards
           Garry

Garry_Coates:
A quick update on front fork options:
1. Nitron and Matris have cartridge kits that will work for 41mm forks but will take some customising. This is in addition to the Traxxion AK-20s already discussed.
2. Nitron 22mm cartridge kit seems to be the better option as there seems to be interest here and the valving looks good. I have not found anybody here interested in customising Matris for the ST.
3. The steps for nitron
    a. Take your forks to a nitron certified suspension tuner
    b. They will strip the forks and consult with Nitron
    c. Nitron will send the custom kit to the suspension tuner for installation (2+weeks)
    d. Pay the tuner approx $1800 and collect the forks
    e. Install them and fine tune adjustments

I am pretty much happy with the Nitron steps except for 3d. It is hard to justify for a bike with 183,000 km. I will probably then persevere with the VTR cartridges. 

Regards
         Garry

Garry_Coates:
Just noticed  on ebay "ANDREANI FORK HYDRAULIC CARTRIDGE HONDA CBR 600 F 1991 94 FORK Showa 41". This would fit the ST1100 up to 1995 plus police models for about $900 landed in Australia. Would have to work out changes required. I noticed no external rebound springs though which probably means derived from racing. Maybe within the cartridge.

Regards
          Garry

Garry_Coates:
Update:

I ended just refurbishing the existing ST1100 fork and VTR1000 cartridge setup and using the same 5wt oil. To get a little softer compression:
1. Removed 3mm preload
2. Increased air gap from 170 to 185mm

Fork travel now increased from 115mm to 133m. Low speed compression still a little too strong but the rest is fine.

Regards
          Garry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version