Author Topic: Soooooooooooooooooooo  (Read 6987 times)

terrydj

Soooooooooooooooooooo
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:40 AM »
So I see's how the majority of site members have firm views on the use of clothing protection, like helmets, jackets and such, while riding, so I has a bit of a think. You kow I see those on sports bikes in full leather and the best of everything when it comes to protection and at times I've asked em whats the deal and they all say its because it gives them protection when they fall off. Hmmm maybe I should tell them that the pros wear full armour and mesh suits under theirs, thats why they can bounce along the road and most of the time get up???
Then theirs the guy in his touring gear, the same questions aked and the same answer is given.
So me thinks what would happen if it was against the law to wear protective clothing other than what is considered normal clothing when your on your bike. No jacket, boots, gloves, pats, helmet, just street clothes :think1 Would these people that dictate safety clothing be worn on Motorcycles still ride :think1
You see, me being an idiot understand that the reason most wear Motorcycle clothing and helmets when riding is because they believe, know, understand that it gives them protection when they fall, like a sence of false confidence when they ride.  Now I reckon thats why riders ride at the speeds they do and do the things they do and take the chances they do, because they think they have protection if they fall?????
Just wonder if the person on the R1 would put the knee down if he /she only had street clothes on. The tourer doing what they do without the gear???? Ahhh but then again, hear on the Gold Coast we have the riders of R1's in board shorts, thongs and helmet, with the chick on the back in Bikini and helmet taking off from the lights flat out, the Gold Wing rider in shorts, singlet and helmet so maybe I am wrong in my thinking.
Me the only safety gear I ever had when I first got on the road was a Bell helmet and a Mars Brando Jacket. Take away the helmet and it was street clothing :rofl
If it was against the law to use safety equipment on bikes, I would definately still ride. Just have to get me an Army Great Coat for the winter and get me another Mars Brando jacket s I think the old one has shrunk :rofl

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: Soooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:16 AM »
Nice one mate - that's quite a fascinating point of view that I hadn't considered. I     :rofl   when you said about the R1 rider NOT sliding his knee with street wear on coz you're exactly right!

I probably would ride if safety gear was banned because I:

- drive a 3,000 lb death machine;
- cross the street;
- smoked for 15 years;
- rode a M/C for years;
- eat at food halls;
- swim in the ocean etc etc etc

Remember your 15mph step off which put you in hosp for 6 weeks? If you were a leather and armour clad hero that day - would you have just got up, said a couple of profanities and kept on groovin'? If the answer is yes, or maybe to this question, then THAT is what we strive for. We know hitting a stationary truck at 90 is lights out no matter what you're wearing, but it's more the little ones where the safety gear is worth its $$$$$.

I'd love to ride 'commando' - but I always think of Davo's predicament - a billion miles with safety gear - all OK, 100 miles without it - game over!

Of course, Brock (I think), mentioned riding with no helmet home one day after it was nicked from his parked bike - would I do the same?  Damn! Probably! Making me full of &^%$#$ about my staunch opinion on safety gear!       :fp

Thanks for a real thought provoking post.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
I am there to, when i started riding it was in a helmet that didn't fit, and a crappy navy windcheater, do i look back now and thing you dumb Bastard, yes i do, having seen the damage from the slow accidents, i refuse to go to the shops without my jacket at the very least on.

if i hit a car at 120km well then i could be forgiven for being naked and laughing like a crazy man, as that would do the same as most of the gear we wear.

I am with diesel i wear mine for the stupid slow ones that wearing the gear we laugh and walk away, if we didn't we would be sitting in hospital with tubes on board
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

terrydj

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
Diesel, Mate, I woke up with an ambulance their as I was knocked out???????????? Ahhhh helmets obviously don't stop that and yeah I would of just rode away. Rode away with thee broken vertebrae in me neck??????????? Didn't even know they wre broken :butt
Was hit once by a truck too, ahhhh knocked out, woke up when the abulance dude woke me. Just think that the vast majority of fools that ride, rely on their safety gear and not their abilities. Struth, I've been in a local Mcdonalds car park on a Sunday watching so called mature riderts coming to grief getting their bikes off the stand and even worse when they actually have to take off, hitting cars, falling off and waddling on their way. Just think it would all be different if safety gear was banned for Motorcycles thats all. Got a reall strong feeling that motorcycle fatalities may actually even drop.
The only proof I have is that when Motorcycle helmets became manditory, the actual Motorcycle fatalities increased. Maybe that was because that the added security of a helmet gave riders a false sence of security or that because of the advertising saying it will save you from dying helped heaps.
Hmmmm I can do this now because the helmet and the safety gear I have will protect me :rofl :rofl
Bloody forgot. A great long term riding mate of mine did hit a truck at???????????? Yeah bloody dead as DoDo. And he had the safety gear on but me thinks maybe loaded with pills at the time, and on a friggin BMW
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:15:41 AM by terrydj »

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
Of course, Brock (I think), mentioned riding with no helmet home one day after it was nicked from his parked bike -

I did that after weighing up all the options. I could have walked 4Ks to the station, got the train home, searced for a bike trailer to retrieve the bike, or try find a new helmet (no spare at home). Then after that return to find the bike gone, or a ticket for overstaying the meter (and/or towed). Time for all this would be 4 to 8 hrs. Ride home, no helmet get booked (maybe I can talk my way out of that one- cos I was wearing $1000.00 worth of safety gear) or maybe be injured. I made it back to Joondalup, went to my bike shop and got a new helmet for no cash down and a month to pay, as I didnt have $300.00 in the pocket or the bank.

I have done the Jeans and great coat thing, and Belstaff wet weather gear. Never went for leather as it was way to expensive. I did however wear as good a safety setup as I could afford and was available at the time. In the 80s when I started riding, there wasnt much around.

I Thailand I am guilty of riding in runners, jeans (no Kevlar) and a t shirt (and Helmet), but only as I dont have any gear up there.

By the way have I mentioned that I'm going back there soon??  :rofl :rofl :hijacked :hijacked

Now back to our program. :well
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
Yep - I hear you - I'd even jump out of a plane - as long as I had ONE piece of safety equipment!      :wink1

I agree that people's riding techniques would change dramatically if you took away their safety gear, and they WOULD become better riders - but that doesn't make Harry McFool in the tin top a better driver!

It's very easy to walk along the kerb of a road - but put that kerb up in the air 15m and you attack it very differently!

Was hit once by a truck too, ahhhh knocked out, woke up when the abulance dude woke me.

Do you reckon that if you were wearing a huge day-glo flouro coloured jacket that the truck would still have hit you?  For instance, do coppers get hit in traffic very often (when NOT in pursuit)?

OzSTOC Life Member

terrydj

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Mate I ride 6 out of 7 and have for most of my life and Day Glo, Flouro is just a wank. Hmmm why you ask :think1 Cause I've had a see in the Dark, Day Glo Flouro jacket now for near on 2 years. Use it as an everyday unless out in pouring rain, or doing the distance and it makes bugger all difference to the cars that try and kill me, everyday.
I think the DayGlo stuff gives the fools who ride just another excuse for their incompetance. My jackets not a crap bit of gear. Its top of the line and noted at the top of the heap OLYMPIA, one I imported from the good old USA. So put your sunnys on and take a look.
As to the truck hitting me. Well it wasn't his fault. I turned from a T intersection just before he did a Uturn. When he looked I wasn't their, when he turned I was. Just one of those things??
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:52:12 AM by terrydj »

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
Terry,
fools who ride
is a bit strong, not every one who wears a fluro vest/jacket is a fool.

I wear a fluro jacket as I figure every little bit helps. It still doesnt help against those that look but wont see but. Im sure even Tack and Roper will tell you that even they dont get seen even if the strobes are on..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
Ahhhhhhh all I said was "the DayGlo stuff gives the fools who ride just another excuse for their incompetance"
DayGlo stuff    Fools who ride    excuse for their incompetance. Get it. The Fools that ride,            not everyone who wares DayGlo, but the fools that ride who do.
But I'm not an educated man who knows how to write or spell, although the maybe 1/2 dozen or more things people put on their walls to make em feel important that I have, may say something different

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
When I first threw a leg over a road bike back in 1957 (actually learned to ride in 54).............no one wore helmets :crazy. I still remember riding with my hair, "that I had in those days", blowing in the wind. Do I believe it's dangerous to do so now?? absolutely!!  We just didn't know any better, apart from the fact that the only helmets ever seen looked so dumb :eek!  But I did wear a black Brando style leather jacket and black denim jeans with silver studs down the side :p..........and yes, they did have them back in those days!

Would I ride again without a helmet.............only in an emergency!
But I would never ride in shorts, singlet & thongs :-(((............apart from anything else, it just wouldn't be "COOL"  :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
That's a nice jacket Terry, & mate, I don't consider it a wank..........I'm not a real big fan of Day Glo Flouro gear as I never ride at night here in Tassie but I'd certainly wear that one myself!! You can see it's a quality jacket!

Mate I ride 6 out of 7 and have for most of my life and Day Glo, Flouro is just a wank. Hmmm why you ask :think1 Cause I've had a see in the Dark, Day Glo Flouro jacket now for near on 2 years. Use it as an everyday unless out in pouring rain, or doing the distance and it makes bugger all difference to the cars that try and kill me, everyday.
I think the DayGlo stuff gives the fools who ride just another excuse for their incompetance. My jackets not a crap bit of gear. Its top of the line and noted at the top of the heap OLYMPIA, one I imported from the good old USA. So put your sunnys on and take a look.
As to the truck hitting me. Well it wasn't his fault. I turned from a T intersection just before he did a Uturn. When he looked I wasn't their, when he turned I was. Just one of those things??

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

terrydj

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
You know wifes uncle a couple of years ago raced at the Isle of White. In the old peoples class recing his BSA. Now he's 70+ and was telling me a couple of old geezers (I mean he's like 70 :rofl) how old wre they?? were winging to him how they couldn't race anymore in their Puddin helmets, flying Jackets and sheepskin lined boots and they were really pissed off. Hmmmm but when they raced usinmg that gear it was state of the art.
Wifes uncle currently is the Australian ahhh off road, Motorcoss whatever its called champion in his class/age group. He rides and races a Greeves. His sons also the Australian champion in the same deal. He's 52 and rides and races a BSA

terrydj

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Couch, that jacket is tops. You can use all the pockets with gloves on. The zippers are just the best. I can't break it and a jacket normally lasts me a couple of years at best. When I'm up North on the mines its a zillion degrees and the jacket just lets all the air in and when your sweating its just a cool Breeze. Also have the OLYMPIA pants that are vented but in Grey and are first rate as well

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »
Yep - I hear you - I'd even jump out of a plane - as long as I had ONE piece of safety equipment!      :wink1

I agree that people's riding techniques would change dramatically if you took away their safety gear.

For instance, do coppers get hit in traffic very often (when NOT in pursuit)?

I for one would leave the "jumping out of plane" thing in the insanity bin along with other similar things.

We don't have a lot of Police on bikes in SA and I believe that they are a dying breed. But I doubt most wouldn't see one until the lights and siren came on. The few that I have seen over the years were only dressed in standard blue shirt and breeches (looks like the gear that you'd ride on a horse). Makes you wonder when you have a state govt advising us to dress proper for a bike and not supply their own police with the right gear.

I've never been able to afford leather gear and at most only prevents minor stuff anyway and if you hit/are hit you'll still get broken bones etc or worse. Even a helmet is not the end all. When I was younger I did hear of a guy that had a mishap on his bike and was alive until they took his helmet off. Must have his his head so hard that his skull cracked and helmet was holding his head together. Don't know if it's true or not but I guess anything is possible.

As for me I wear jeans, boots, jacket, helmet and gloves. The same for my partner. Safe enough for the minor walk away scrapes and bruises.
Traction control? wouldn't know if it's working or not. ABS? Maybe twice in 6 years it may have worked and the only time I've had a car not see me at night and a truck driver who saw me and pulled out anyway. Guess I just got into the habit of being prepared just in case.

What I see a lot of the time is the Harley (mainly) and other cruiser riders dressed to the nines in leather and the girl on the back wearing next to nothing. Female scooter riders wearing skirts and high heels, guys (girls as well) wearing shorts, singlets and thongs riding off road bikes. But that's their choice and not mine.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
Sorry Terry a mis interpretation on my behalf.. :( :(
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
I have always worn leathers & still do apart from making me look cool, many years ago I was hit by a car his bumper hit my lower left leg causing multiple compound fractures the only thing that stopped my leg being severed was the boots & leather pants I was wearing
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
The Ambo's hate leather and Kevlar but, it really messes up their scissors.  :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
They actually unpicked the seam on my leather pants but they sliced the boot of,f as they did the blood just went woosh like a flood
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
Saw a young guy last week riding a bike with learner plates on wearing a tank top, shorts and thongs, but he did have the helmet on so he was legally wearing all the compulsory safety gear on. I just shook my head and wondered if he would ever make it to licence time.

terrydj

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
Mate it obvious you don't live here on the Gold Coast. Board Shorts, Thongs, no shirt, helmet,  on an RI, chick on the back in a Bilini, is a daily thing here. But I do see, scooter riders, Board shorts, bare feet, helmet, surfboard/boogey board under the arm cruising along

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »

I agree that people's riding techniques would change dramatically if you took away their safety gear, and they WOULD become better riders - but that doesn't make Harry McFool in the tin top a better driver!

It's very easy to walk along the kerb of a road - but put that kerb up in the air 15m and you attack it very differently!

You only get what you pay for.you can spend $80.00 on a helmet on eBay,you might as well wear a bucket, it might give you the same protection. I think you have to spend some money to get a good,safe lid.I saw a bloke on a hog yesterday riding in thongs,t shirt and shorts. He must be a real bikie or it could of been all those tough tatts he had, they would still scrap off on the black stuff.you wouldn't let your kids ride like that, so set the example. I would hope all you banana benders would do the right thing.I have ridden in 40 plus, very uncomfortable, but to me it's not worth the risk.
Cheers Aj :blk13

Was hit once by a truck too, ahhhh knocked out, woke up when the abulance dude woke me.

Do you reckon that if you were wearing a huge day-glo flouro coloured jacket that the truck would still have hit you?  For instance, do coppers get hit in traffic very often (when NOT in pursuit)?
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »
I stopped reading all the posts on this thread after terrydj carried on about hi vis gear, how do you know that all those close calls you had when wearing it would not have been acicidents with out it. I guess you will disconnect yours brakes next as they give you a false sense of being able to stop in a hurry if you need to.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

terrydj

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
Your exactly right.
All those close calls happen whether your wearing Hi Viz or not. Isn't that what I said. Its just that I think/believe that a hell of a lot of those that wear HIVIz believe it will make a difference.
As to dissconnecting the brakes, well my first bikes either had none or drum brakes which is the same, and with all the technology involving brakes on bikes these days, the same things seem to happen. I can stop because I have Anti Lock, ABS on my bike and new soles on me boots so why should I take notice of the speed I'm doing or the distances involved and that fool in the car.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
the Hi Vis is something i deal in on a day to day basis with my store, and it is similar to the bikes, it is there for a reason, some believe in it, some don't.

I have been told all the opinions left and right, but in the end it is as simple as what you yourself are comfortable wearing.

the main people i have issue with are the people who decide to ride fully geared up, and then have their girlfriend/wife/child on the back in a helmet that does not fit, shorts/skirt and a T-Shirt, it seems they will take the time to look after themselves, but don't take a second to think about the safety of the pillion with them.

Myself I don't feel comfortable stepping on the bike without at the very least jacket, helmet, gloves, & Jeans.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
Yeah - I think my next jacket will be hi-viz - or at least yellow.

Members have showed us some great jackets and they come in all colours in the 'Farkles & Gear' section.

Here....   http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=358.0

But if you want to comment on jackets - do it in the jacket post - not here - so everyone can find all the great info in one spot.        :cop

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:31:17 PM by Diesel »
OzSTOC Life Member