Author Topic: Soooooooooooooooooooo  (Read 6986 times)

Offline IanB

• Trundler
Re: Soooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 11:00:59 PM »
                   :hijacked                I'm a bit like glen but from a different perspective.
How do you get into those predicaments in the first place?
Confused about all the talk about close calls and offs.
To me they mean that for some reason the threat was not perceived by the rider.
OK I'll admit there are cases where a biff might be unavoidable but....................
Isn't it part of the education process of being out there to read the traffic/road and minimise those incidents
Safety gear - the most important bit is between the ears.
Common excuse in tintop v motorcycle accidents is "I didn't see him".
But who didn't see who or anticipate "who" being a total dope.
I expect a lot of flack on this comment but before you jump up and down - in hindsight was it avoidable.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

terrydj

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
I get in those predicaments in the first place because, I ride a bike and if you havn't you don't ride. I live on the Gold Coast right in the middle at Miami. Everyones in a rush to get no where. People on phones, those facing their passengers when they tak to them, those that don't look, those text messenging, playing with their GPS, changing lanes without looking, those just drifting out of their lane, and, and, and.
I've had a Road Train, out west, with 4 trailers on,  head straight for me on the wrong side for 5 minutes untill he woke up and went back to his side of the road.
Yeah part of the education process I suppose.
The experts say drivers are looking for other cars, trucks ect on the road, and thats why they don't see motyorcycles or pedestrians. Their not looking for them

Offline gerd

• Brisbane (Springwood)
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
Interesting discussion.

When I go for short trips I'll wear jeans and a T shirt and half gloves if it's hot.

Longer trips the leather jacket goes on.

I guess I am somewhat of a risk-taker but feel comfortable with it as I feel that I ride defensively.

I also ride a bicycle to and from work on major roads at speeds of up to 65km/hr down hill and definitely feel a lot more vulnerable doing that than riding the motorbike.

If we consider safety gear for motorcycle riders then bicycle riders should be in the same category too and they generally don't wear kevlar or full face helmets.

:dred11
gerd gabriel
2000 ST1100A