Author Topic: Motorcycle Quote of the Day  (Read 435942 times)

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Motorcycle Quote of the Day
« Reply #725 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »
It did start to rain near the first construction activity about 30 miles out, where a large piece of machinery was cutting a swath through the trees with a huge cutting wheel.  The machine threw chunks of bark and branches all over the place.  I caught a piece of something on the end of my toe that was quite painful.  Around 50 miles out a huge backhoe was digging on one side of the road and depositing Its bucket loads on the other side.  We had to time our passing to be between swings of the huge bucket.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p247
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #726 on: September 14, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »
About 20 miles past the construction I thought I saw a deep washout across the road in front of me as we were travelling about 40 MPH.  My clouded, rain-covered face shield blurred my already poor vision.  I thought I didn't want to hit the ditch at that speed, so I went for the rear brake.  Unfortunately I hit it a little too hard, throwing the bike into a slight broad-slide.  Consequently it was crossed up when it struck the minor washout and I did a really ugly departure from the bike, landing on my head.  Jake said when the bike landed it hit first on one side and then did a complete somersault, landing on the other side.  It's amazing how much that little machine can take, not to mention my 72-year-old body.  I bounced along the ground and heard my helmet hit the dirt road three times before I finally came to rest.  As Jake was picking me up, he said I was lucky I landed on my head; otherwise, I might have really gotten hurt!
The only damage that resulted from the spill was that the brake pedal got bent, which Jake straightened while I regained my composure.  I sustained a slight concussion and we had to stop a few times to rest when I got dizzy and nauseated each time we took off.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p247-8
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #727 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
I noticed that from riding a few hours with bare hands, the strong return spring on the throttle had caused all of the heavy skin on the entire palm of my right hand to break loose from the flesh like a huge blister.  It meant that I would have to use my heavier gloves and I'd have to hold the throttle mainly with my fingers and thumb until the skin a chance to reattach itself.  It also meant no more riding with bare hands until I could get different return springs installed.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p254

Offline Pezzz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #728 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:24 AM »
"What the **** was that?"  (Anna Bligh)
I thought the mayor of Hiroshima said that. (According to KB Wilson)

Sent from somewhere using something on my phone :-)

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Pezzz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #729 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:54 AM »
I have never heard a motorcycle make a quote now I come to think about it  :wink1 :grin let alone a quote of the day :whistle :grin
My bike says "something" often... Either that or the fuel tank is venting....

Sent from somewhere using something on my phone :-)

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #730 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
It rained the entire day between Beaver Creek and Watson Lake, 570 miles of the roughest part of the Alaska Highway.  Most of the dirt in the 22 miles of construction was soft from the rain and offered no better handling than the loose gravel on the way up.  At least there was no dust and it was still early, so there wasn't much machinery working and I rode through most of it between 65 and 70 MPH.
The road surface was particularly rough around Haines Junction and Lake Kluane.   Going across some of the huge breaks in the pavement at 75, the GS would let out a loud "Brrrrumf," as the paralevers and cantalevers soaked it up like it wasn't there.  Even though I had several extra pounds of air in each tire, the sound it made was sometimes unnerving.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p262-3

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
I left the co-op store totally exhausted and thinking, "Oh well, it could be worse; it could be raining with strong crosswinds instead of the head winds."  Almost like magic, the strong winds changed to the side and heavy rainsqualls started.  I cut my speed to 70 and a few times down to 65 when the crosswinds got up to 40 and 50 MPH.  Having had the Gold Wing break traction once with both wheels at the same time in similar conditions, I was very leery of what could happen next.  The BMW was about 250 pounds lighter than the Gold Wing, and my tall tank bag, high trunk, and back-seat luggage all contributed to giving it a huge silhouette and making it want to act like a kite, wind-surfing me across the prairie.   I had to constantly struggle for control and I worked for every mile.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p267

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #732 on: September 18, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
It got the most hair-raising when trucks coming the other way at the same high speed would momentarily block the wind and I would become entangled in their turbulence.  I would be instinctively making the necessary corrections behind the truck when all of a sudden I would be spit out the other end; which left me to struggle with regaining control on the wet, slippery road, while the crosswinds would again hit me hard from the side.  I'd laugh about it at the time, but after a few of those I tried to find a different track whenever a big truck approached.  The tire tracks on my side were usually filled with water, there was a lot of loose sand along the shoulder, and the center of the lane was shiny with oil drippings; so there wasn't a clear track anywhere, and I was continually aware that the wind could knock the bike out from under me at any moment.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p267

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #733 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
I also had problems with my eyesight in Saskatchewan whenever I passed long trucks.  I couldn't see far enough to get clear view for my pass and sometimes I would think I had a clear shot when I would start passing a truck moving around 70 or 75 around 80, I would realize that the truck was a tandem rig with two trailers and a huge 12-wheel dolly between the trailers.  Some of those rigs were more than 150 feet long.  I'd usually have the throttle screwed on all the way; but when I would be 3/4 of the way by, I would then see someone coming fast from the opposite direction.  It would be far too late to change my mind and drop back, so I'd have to continue my pass.  Before I could get all the way by, the oncoming car would be there, and I would have to tuck in close to the truck's cab.  The other vehicle would have to take to the shoulder, usually with his horn on high.  I think they should either ban that length truck from 2-lane roads or have a sign on the back informing motorists of the length of the rig; but with my eyesight, I probably wouldn't be able to read the sign anyway.
Motorcycling Stories  Piet Boonstra p268

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #734 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
Howard had a racer’s bias against touring.  He campaigned, sometimes successfully, a highly tuned Honda 350 Four against droves of "off-brand ring-dings" on Midwest road circuits.  He thought touring a tedious penance for some unspecified sin committed in an earlier life.  He also feared and distrusted venerable British Twins.
Howard’s last word of advice was that I send a Honda Gold Wing to the post office in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and then pray that I made it that far so I could change horses en route. No thanks, I said. I'd ridden a Gold Wing.
Too easy.  Like taking a tram up the Eiger, instead of climbing the face.
Anybody could get to Seattle on a Gold Wing. Farrah, for-Gods-sake, Fawcett-Majors could get there on a Gold Wing.  It was adventure I was after, not trip insurance.
Leanings  Peter Egan p15

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #735 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
There was some rain gear, minimum clothes, and a carefully chosen tool kit.  No compass, snakebite kit, or spare shoe laces.  Travelling light on a motorcycle demands ruthless restraint, a fine sense of asceticism, and a big wad of colourful plastic credit cards.  We left before sunup on a Saturday morning.
Two hours of ghostly pre-dawn gloom swirled past, and then at  7 am. the Twin delivered us to the crest of the palisades above the Mississippi River Valley.  The air was cool, but the first rays of the sun warmed our backs and began to burn away the mist.  Only the towers of the bridges below rose out of the fog.  The hills on the opposite bank were golden green in the morning sun.
"Not bad!" I shouted over my shoulder.
"What?" my wife replied.  We were to have many such conversations in the miles ahead.
Leanings  Peter Egan p16

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #736 on: September 22, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
I loved my Honda 50.  It was a 1964 step-through, C100, two-tone blue, with 6,000 miles on the odometer.  I bought it from a doctor who was cleaning his garage and wasn't sure if anyone would want the little thing, but took a chance on throwing an ad in the paper.  His doubts were understandable.  Who, after all, would want a used $75 machine that takes almost no maintenance, is reliable as a stone (though slightly faster), and takes the owner to work and back all week for 37 cents?
The day I drove out to look at the machine it was sitting in the doctor’s driveway, and even as I drove up I could see that the bike was in mint condition.  It nearly brought tears to my eyes.  My Volkswagen was still dieseling  as I wrote out the cheque.
Leanings  Peter Egan p23

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #737 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
My first gas stop, on the second morning, revealed that the Honda had guzzled no less than half a gallon during the 80 miles we'd covered the previous day, at a cost of 32 cents.  That was 160 mpg. John was numb. "Thirty- two cents?  That's crazy!  Hell, I spent over a dollar on granola bars yesterday, just so I'd have enough energy to pedal this bike."
He stared at the Honda with a troubled frown, as if trying to grasp some searing new truth.  "That's plain madness.  You can’t make a gas tank leak that slowly, much less run a vehicle.”
Leanings  Peter Egan p27-8

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #738 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »
Just outside of town I stopped to install some ear plugs I'd bought to ward off total deafness on the long trip.  After five minutes, I had to stop and take them out.  They worked too well; I couldn't hear a thing.  They made riding surreal, and eerily quiet.  For all I knew, my exhaust header had fallen off and a broken rod was hammering my block to pieces.  I began to fantasize engine and chassis noises, much the way someone wearing stereo headphones constantly imagines that the phone and doorbell are ringing. 
Like those early airline pilots who objected to enclosed cockpits, I preferred to hear the wind in the wires and ignore the instruments.
Leanings  Peter Egan p34

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #739 on: September 25, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »
When I couldn't stand it any more I sold my 160 and bought a sports car- a 1959 Triumph TR-3 with no side curtains and a hole the size of a cannonball in the otherwise opaque rear window of the convertible top.  The Triumph, of course, was no warmer than the Honda, but since it never ran more than three minutes at a time I never had a chance to get really cold.  Also, when you tapped the horn button the steering wheel began to smoulder and melt, which added a touch of comfort in cold weather.  The wiring harness finally burned up and I sold the car for a tremendous profit and bought myself another bike; a 305 Superhawk.  By that time it was summer.  I was done with winter riding for good.
I took the sheet off the Norton, dumped in a gallon of stale lawnmower gas, strapped its trickle-charged battery back under the seat, and went upstairs to dress.  I put on all the clothes I owned and then went down to the garage to get my waxed-cotton Belstaff jacket.  My wife won't let me keep it in the regular coat closet because she says it smells like creosote.  I wrapped a scarf around my face and buckled my helmet.  The Norton's anaemic electric starter went "dit," so I started the bike with just enough kicks to steam up my face shield with hot panting breath.
Leanings  Peter Egan p48

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #740 on: September 26, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
Motorcyclists in cold weather are always in a quandary over their speed.  Should they ride fast and get it over with, enduring the ravages of high-speed wind, or should they ride slowly, prolonging a slightly less terrible agony.
Jim had chosen Slow Death.  Coming down the highway his bike looked like one of those lone cavalry horses returning to the fort with a dead rider full of arrows slumped in its saddle, stopping here and there to nibble on sagebrush.  I'd never seen Jim ride so slowly, or so stiffly.  And I'd never seen a motorcycle turn a corner without leaning, but Jim did it as he pulled into the parking lot.  He pulled to a stop and sat on his bike; just sat, not bothering to shut the engine off, as though he expected some kind of emergency ground crew to run out of the restaurant and lift him off his Commando.  No help arrived, so he slowly reached for the key and turned it off.  A minute later he tilted his head downward and began to look for the kickstand.  A stiff robot leg caught the edge of the stand and kicked it out.
Leanings  Peter Egan p49

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #741 on: September 27, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
He walked right past my table without looking at me and went to the counter.  "Coffee," he said.  The waitress started to ask if that was for here or to take out but something in his voice made her think the better of it.  She quickly set out a large white Styrofoam cup with a plastic lid.  Jim paid and walked over to my table.  He sat down heavily, without speaking, and peeled the lid from his cup with a hand like a claw.  He took a drink and looked darkly into the cup.  I feared for a moment that he might dump the stuff over his head, or at east pour it down his boot.  But he just warmed his hands over the steaming cup and looked at me, raising one eyebrow in a sudden show of levity.
"Been here long?" he asked.
“Can’t tell yet.”
Jim looked out the window. "Lovely weather. It looks like midnight."
“Supposed to snow."  Jim nodded.
"We better warm up and head for home.  I don't want to spend the winter in this place."  He looked around. "Even it if is warm."
Leanings  Peter Egan p50

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #742 on: September 28, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
The rear was an ancient K-70 Dunlop, and the front carried no identification at ail except the single word, "Riken," which I took to be either a brand name or a misspelled assessment  of the tire’s road- holding qualities.  Both tires were worn perfectly square across the bottom, leaving a heeled-over footprint about the thickness of a dime.  The mildest lean caused the bike to handle very oddly, cornering in swoops and dips, like a playful otter chasing trout.  Also, the rear tire tried to slide a quick 180 into every turn, which was no fun at all.  So I went down to the cycle shop and bought a pair of Universal tires, legendary for their low price and for cutting down on sparks and noise by keeping your rims off the pavement.  They were a vast improvement.
Leanings  Peter Egan p62

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #743 on: September 29, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Universal shod, I rode off into town to show people my new bike.  The Honda 150 Benly drew mixed reviews that first day.  Everyone had an opinion; no one was neutral.  A friend of mine said it was "a bike only a pimp could love," and a man at a stoplight told me it was the "best damned bike I ever had."  The child across the street, who just recently learned to talk, described it as "a funny motorcycle."  People who knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles thought it was "very pretty," or even "beautiful."  Those more acquainted with the breed rolled their eyes back in their heads and snorted, or merely chuckled quietly.  Then, when they settled down to examine the old bike, their eyes took on a vague, faraway look and I knew that they were being transported back to something or someplace.
Leanings  Peter Egan p62-3

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #744 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
We got under way early on a Saturday morning, heading north out of Madison toward a town called Sauk City.  The first 15 miles of highway were crowded and busy.  The 150 felt smooth and crisp in the cool morning air, but just couldn't push two people and a windscreen through the air at anything over 50 mph.  We got passed by everything on the road; funeral processions, farm implements, three nuns in a station wagon- everything but a homecoming float and the Tijuana Marching Guitar Band.  Most people seemed to sense we were working with some kind of power deficit and gave us waves of encouragement.
Leanings  Peter Egan p63

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #745 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »
We went back to the village and I took the Triumph for a test ride.  Everything was loose, but the bike ran fine.  So after a moment of silence for my life's savings I swallowed hard and wrote out a check. We were only 25 miles from the city, so I decided to live dangerously and ride the Bonneville home.  Barb drove our Volkswagen, "Follow me, but keep your distance," I advised.  "Watch for falling parts and blink your lights if run over anything."
Leanings  Peter Egan p73

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #746 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »
The brakes were terrible, but every time I dived into a corner at unchecked, suicidal speed I discovered there was no cause for alarm; the Triumph heeled over into an easy arc and came out of the corner without flinching.  The hand and foot controls felt crude and antique after the velvet-and-Teflon smoothness of those on my Japanese Four, yet the performance of the bike was anything but antique.  The speedometer needle touched a surprisingly easy 105 mph as I moved out to put some distance on a gravel-tossing milk tanker.
The Bonneville tracked down the road with an uncanny, almost gyroscopic stability at that speed, encouraging you to go faster than 12-year-old maladjusted engines full of dirty old oil ought to.  I got a firm grip on my enthusiasm, slowed down, and made it home without blowing the thing up.
Leanings  Peter Egan p74

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #747 on: October 03, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
We gave up the search and headed out of town to the Interstate, where found a motel and a nearby restaurant staffed by some high school girls who seemed to be getting the most out of their grape gum.  We had a dinner of enchiladas out of a can sprinkled with a kind of cheese product.  The enchiladas were cold, but were served with hot lettuce; proof that lettuce heats faster in a microwave oven.
The number of people in the restaurant business who cant cook to save their lives is staggering.  If they were plumbers our houses would all be flooded.  If they worked for the government things would be just as they are now.
Leanings  Peter Egan p89

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
Beneath the relaxed magic of the sun and palm trees is a special tension that keeps people alert, their eyes moving.  Daytona is full of famous people, at least if you follow motorcycle racing.  At the hotel coffee shop you hear the rapid ups and downs of a British accent and turn to see Mike Hailwood sitting at the next table with a friend.  He is engrossed in conversation, fortunately, and doesn't notice the forkful of grits and melted butter you've just dumped on your lap.
At a crosswalk on Beach Boulevard a van pulls up and its driver turns out to be, on second take, Gary Nixon.  While dining on sweet and sour shrimp at the Hawaiian Inn that night our perfect view of four hula dancers doing a floor show is interrupted by the entire Yoshimura family filing in, led by Pops himself.  Wes Cooley joins them a few minutes later and Rich Schlachter drops by to say hello, or whatever very fast, famous guys say to one another.
Leanings  Peter Egan p98

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #749 on: October 05, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
The crowd in Daytona is truly international.  The British arrive in droves, escaping the same lousy weather as the Americans from the north or the eastern seaboard.  Lots of French; in the hotel lobby a French reporter with a fistful of notes is shouting a race report long distance to Paris or somewhere ( C'est Cooo-leee!  Non, non Cooo-leee!") while a blonde woman who somehow escaped from a designer jeans commercial clings to his arm and pouts and generally looks French.  Canadians are everywhere, with plenty of red maple leaves on their luggage so no one mistakes them for Americans.  At the International House of Pancakes a group of Italian men wearing Meccanica Ducati T-shirts argue among themselves over the meaning of Cheese Blintz or Buckwheat Strawberry Delight and a man behind us in line says, "By God, this really is an International House of Pancakes."
Leanings  Peter Egan p98-9