Honda ST1100 Section > Suspension ST1100

ST1100 Replacement Shock information

(1/1)

Streak:
Hi Gents,
              I sent an email to Ikon suspension asking about the difference and Quality of Shoicks to buy, below is my email, and below that is their response:

"Hi Geoff,

Could I trouble you for a little information?

How does the 3610 series compare to the standard adjustable shock I have now?

I have been told by a couple of other ST1100 owners that I can get can get a progressive rear shock for my bike from the US for about $400 landed here:

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-18424-progressive-suspension-465-series-rear-shock-for-honda-st-1100-st1100-abs-motorcycles-199.aspx

How does this compare to the ikon? I would rather shop local If I can, but $285 is a big leap.

Thank you for all the information, I look forward to your response.

Cheers

Graham"

Response

"Hi Graham,

Our mono tube gas pressurised 3610 series for the ST1100 gives a screw thread pre-load with a progressive rate spring. Our rebound control is also adjustable with the shock being fully rebuildable. Typically we find that European themed products which ours is many ways tend to have better spring and valving choices than US made or US specified ones and other parts like bodies and piston rods tend to be more robust. Ironically if we were talking about fork springs I have often found US themed choices to be the better ones.

I can't say I have any experience with the 465 series Progressive. Interestingly one of the features they highlight on the link is the use of a viton seal. In recent times we have moved away from them. They were very fashionable for some years and we have been into that fashion too. However it seems that technology in other materials has now advanced giving us better seal performance at temperatures that higher than viton likes to deal with. That is important in shock absorbers because they can get very hot. Like many things some of these factors do amount to splitting hairs but it is something I find interesting.

You can find more information at the following web address. http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/product_ranges/3610_series_shocks.shtml

Regards
Geoff"

Thoughts everyone?

Streak:
bump!

Brock:
Well its certainly a good reply. The Icon shock looks to have a heavier spring. The good thing about Icon is that should it need to go back, they are closer and shipping would be less

Streak:
Well I have ordered the ikon shock through my local Honda dealer, they are giving it to me for $570, not bad considering that ikon straight to me quoted $685.

Will take some photo's of fitting when I get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version