Author Topic: Sidewalk Cafe Restaurant and Bar - Airlie Beach - Sat 23rd Aug 2014  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Sidewalk Cafe Restaurant and Bar - Airlie Beach - Sat 23rd Aug 2014
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
I'm in Airlie!!! :runyay

I just spied an ST on the round-a-bout.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

Thats a long way to go to spot an ST :eek Way to go above and beyond :grin

Have a great time... don't forget pics :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »

Thats a long way to go to spot an ST :eek Way to go above and beyond :grin

Have a great time... don't forget pics :thumbsup

If there is no pictures "It didn't happen"  :grin
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Mystic2

• ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
Quick trip down to Airlie to have lunch with Gadget , RTG came down with Mate & I , close parking was at premium  :well had to set timer to avoid a ticket  :law , Good feed  , plenty of scenery  WOW:  had a chat with Gadget , wished him safe trip home and He was off  :thumb , Lucky RTG stayed the night  :like we had good trip home :thumbs
 :dred11
Mystic2
Mystic2

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
On Friday, at 7:30 am I headed off to Rocky and drizzly wet conditions.  My old gloves weren't keeping the water out so at 14 °C my hands wre getting cold.  I'd forgotten to polish my boots, so my feet were getting damp as well.  By the time I got to Childers I needed a bladder break and pulled up under cover at the servo to the bemusement of a guy filling his truck.  He was agog at all the flouro and my drowned rat impersonation.  He confirmed he could see me coming for miles.  :grin  Turns out he is a Buel rider and gave me a heads up about the road works north of Apple Tree Creek.  This confirmed my plan to go via Bundaberg, that and my desire to seek out a Bike shop with for some waterproof gloves.

Back inthe saddle I made good time into Bundaberg and fuelled up and got directions to the Motorbike shop.  Found a pair of DriRider Rain gloves in my size, purchased them and set off again.

Just out of Bundaberg I took the turn to Rosewood and the rain stopped.  It remained fine all the way to Rockhampton.  :runyay With my hands now warm and dry my damp feet didn't feel so bad, and the dry weather allowed the leather in the boots to dry out. 

A few of the truck drivers commented on the flouro and were surprised when I responded on the UHF.  When I explained I rode a lot in Brisbane and it was to get the car drivers to see me, they acknowledged I had suceeded, but one posited the hypotheses that maybe I could be considered a traffic hazard from blinding them.  :eek

By 4 pm I was pulling into the driveway at my brothers house and surprised to be glad to be out of the saddle.

After a great feed with my brother, his wife and two daughters and their kids I headed of to bed eager for the next day.

I woke 15 minutes earlier than I had planned due to an error setting the calendar in the phone, so I headed off at 6:30 am from North Rocky. 

After the rain a few days earlier and the extra cool morning there was fog about which kept misting up the windshield and then clearing.  the antifog insert on the visor came into its own with the visor remaining clear all morning.  The fog made the start a bit hairy, as from within Rocky through to St Lawrence it is renowned for the big bunnies to be hopping about.  By the time I got to Yaamba the fog had cleared.  At Yaamba the Car park on the left south of the Service Station was jam packed with Motorhomes and Caravans.  Thankfully I beat them to the road and had a really good cruisey run through to Sarina only being stopped by one cane train. 

My brother had told me about a back road to semi bypass Mackay's Traffic Lights, so I took that turn and before I knew it I was out the other side of Mackay and back on the highway.  Again I was fortunate when ever I came up behind a Caravan or Motor home there was either an immediate overtaking opportunity or a very soon after.

I kept on peddling and after 480.0 km (trip meter) from filling in Rockhampton I wheeled into the servo on the outskirts of Airlie beach at 11:50 am.

After wiping all the bugs of the windscreen, headlights and visor and re-fuelling I jumped back on to head into town.  A dozen or so round-a-bouts later I hit the main street of Airlie Beach and rode to the Side-walk Cafe only to discover all the parking across the road was taken anf the nearest empty spot was up in the main street.  No posted parking signs, so I asked the local store keeper and was informed it is 1 hour only.  :-[ So I set a reminder in my phone to remember to move the bike.

I went for a walk, found the cafe and waited for RTG, Mystic2 and Presh to arrive.  After 15 mins I spotted a  :13Candy on the round-a-bout and figured they weren't far away.

They arrived and we had a quick chat and ordered lunch.  Got one of the wait staff to take a photo for us, admired the passing parade and the scenery and ate heartily.

The food we each ordered was fantastic generous proportions, beautiful flavour and and the tastiest Chips I have ever had.   WOW:

Too soon, my alarm went off to tell me it was time to move the bike.  I weighed up another hour chatting or the last two and a half hours back through roo country in the dark and decided it was safer to go early.  Said my farewells and thanked everyone for attending and headed for Rocky.

On the way back I took the detour through Marian to bypass Mackay and stopped to check on a Harley rider who was looking hot and bothered on the side of the road.  He assured me he was OK, so I took off again. On through Sarina, Koumala, Carmila and a planned stop at Clareview was interrupted by a lovely young :cop from Carmila who wasn't best pleased with my rate of progress and :law gave me a certificate of un-appreciation.  He took his sweet time filling out one small form  :||||  :'( I was highly embarrassed as I could have, should have been using the Cruise Control.

So have been stopped I threw the stop out at Clareview and pushed on for Rocky knowing now I definitely face the prospect of Roos on the road. 

North of Marlborough, while the sun was still up, I noticed a really big Eastern Grey grazing on the side of the road.  That gave me quite a fright, because I hadn't spotted it until I was almost on top of it.  So with the sun setting fast and eyes wide open, relentlessly scanning the edges of the road for the next hour and a half I rode into Rockhampton.

Up at 6:30 am this morning and headed off from my brothers place and proceeded sedately for home.  was caught up by a truck and had a quick chat about the bite that had been taken out of me on Saturday and moved over at the first opportunity to let him pass. I then reset my cruise control and from Bajool through to 40 km North of Childers, I sat behind him and he would pull away on the flats and I would catch him on the hills.  Where it got really steep, I overtook him and wished him a good trip.

Just south of Maryborough I looked south and saw whay looked like an imminent drenching, so I found a spot to pull over and quickly grabbed the wet weather pants.  By the time I'd finished putting them on it was starting to get heavy, so I hit the road again psychologically prepared to ride wet weather all the way home.  Two minutes later it cleared and I only copped a drop or two after that.

Just north of Gympie in the 90 zone I saw one Candy Car and  :wht11  :wht11  :wht11 of the :cop.  I suspect they may have been responding to a call from a driver who had reported on the CB of a white Suzuki car driving dangerously.

As I approached Gympie the fuel gauge said 90 km range and as I'd already done 470 km I figured I'd make it to Nambour and hoped I could make it to Palmwoods.  Knowing I had the Jerry can on board I risked it and just north of of Palmwoods at 565 km on the trip meter the bike just completely lost oomph.  2nd stop to quickly empty the Jerry and then I had enough to do another 90 km.  Anyway that was enough to see me through to Caboolture BP with enough to get home, but I thought I'd fill today rather than on the way to work tomorrow.

At 2:40 pm and 2,200 km later I rode into the Garage at home.

Would I do it again?  Not in a hurry. Next time I'll take more days and do it at a much more leisurely pace.  And I would have booked to stay the night in Airlie.
Am I glad I did it?  Too right, I now know I can if I need to, although I think not having a head cold would have been better.

It was a long way to go just for lunch, but I can now say I've done it.  :grin

Thanks to RTG, mystic2 and his mate Presh for turning up.  It made it all worthwhile.

Here's the map of my jouney.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:39:25 PM by Gadget (Gary) »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
Great report and photo's Gary, sounds like a great ride except for the certificate of un-appreciation  :eek
Hopefully catch up with you next Saturday  :thumb
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Mystic2

• ST Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
  :clap Good to hear you made it home safe  :like bad luck with that certificate  :cop we didn't see any down or back :whistle
 :dred11
Mystic2
Mystic2

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Good write up Gadget  :thumbsup, And a big thank you to Mystic 2 and RTG for holding up the North Queensland End, good on ya Ian and Arty. ++

I saw Grasshopper at work on Saturday when I went in to try and get Pauline's work commute bike going, Tackleberry's had an Off and his "Plum" has been squished a bit, same as his pride I'd say. But best wished to you Tackleberry and get better soon, just tell 'em it was the Misses who smacked ya.

I would have loved to have gone, but with the impending move it just wasn't possible.

Sab

(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Awesome RR Gadget :-++ :-++ :-++
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »
Good report Gary,  :thumb

Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it home safely. So how unappreciative were the constabulary of your spirited progress?

It is easy to get caught these days. I have a habit of getting a little too ambitious about the distances I think I can ride in a day when I start planning a trip. That has at times inevitably lead to me feeling that I need to keep pressing on throughout the day so that I can arrive at the destination before the daylight runs out. And that coincidently seems to be when I have the roadside chats with the law  :||||

I was caught heading up to the Ozstoc weekend in Yeppoon, but was fortunate the officer reduced the offence to a lower one that saved me a few dollars and points. So I considered myself lucky. Yet I saw others who had set themselves even bigger distances for their day go flying past me well up into the instant loss of licence zone!  :eek

These days about 500k's per day is about my ideal limit.     
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
Barry, the damage was in the vicinity of 70 coffees.  :|||| Almost the price of a set of PR4s.  :|||| He was the first car I'd seen in 15 minutes.

As soon as he flinched left I pulled up so I thought he could have been more lenient.  :-[
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
He's always there that guy, getting folks who forget to reduce speed after the 110 k zone from Marlborough to Clareview... Around Ayr is another hot spot.
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »
Good RR Gay, and glad you are back in one piece. You must be putting a few "k's" on that beast...
Cheers,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.