Author Topic: Change the OzSTOC selection process or not ?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Change the OzSTOC selection process or not ?
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
Ok get your reading glasses and a coffee.... :nahnah

The OzSTOC leadership team as we have evolved has always used a method of selecting members to undertake roles within the club based on their passion for OzSTOC, contribution to the group, skill set and all round suitability to the role. This commenced from the conception of the club with Diesel bringing Streak into the equation.

Soon after Saaz and Brock where poached as forum Moderators to the club, followed sometime later by Whizz who assisted in an administration role and data collection as well as his Moderation duties then Pockey was added to the skill mix to add the feminine touch to the forum and for the Pillions section.

These roles were selected by the previous Leadership team in Diesel and Streak, in late 2013 Pockey and I where approached by Diesel & Streak with a proposal to take on the leadership role of OzSTOC as they wished to retire from the leadership roles and focus on other commitments, after many weeks of negotiating, soul searching and research we agreed providing Saaz would come in as a third partner for the sake of transparency as we believed having a married couple at the helm could lead to a poor decision making process in the event of a stalemate. Saaz agreed and we moved forward with the new leadership team in early 2014. 

One of the early concepts we put in place was State/Territory Ride Co-ordinators, National Rally Co-ordinator and a Facebook moderator and shop caretaker. The rationale behind additional members taking on these extra positions was to lighten the load of the Leadership team and to better provide a collective focus on the clubs growth as we now were well beyond 600 members. We in the leadership roles found these appointments enriched the members OzSTOC experience based on the feedback and encouragement we have received.     

We now find ourselves in a position that through natural attrition and tragedy that a void now exist in the OzSTOC team. Streak asked to be removed as a Moderator nearly 12 months ago and Whizz and Saaz are no longer with us, and in many ways have left an irreplaceable emptiness, but as an organization we must move into our future.

The previous and current leadership teams have received some backlash in the past from a minority of members about the way our organizational structure was selected and appointed into various roles within OzSTOC and further questioned the transparency of the process. To this end, we are going to utilize a very different format to hopefully alleviate future concerns about this process, but more importantly give a member/s who have a genuine desire along with those already in these varied roles to help propel OzSTOC into the future. Selecting and approaching members into these roles has been an arduous task in the past, but I'm sure the vast majority will agree that for a organization that is not a registered club with a constitution or business plan we have made good choices and selected members who's genuine focus have the best interests of the group as paramount.

So how this is going to play out..... :think1

I'm requesting a member/s with a genuine passion for OzSTOC, its members and our principals to consider the following offer.......

We are looking for a current member to come on board the OzSTOC leadership team with Pockey and I, to make the third voice in the clubs direction and decision making processes. The member would also become a Moderator of the clubs forum to assist Brock, Diesel, Pockey and I. This is open to ALL OzSTOC members regardless of duration of membership, forum post counts or popularity etc. But one exclusion to many members will be the tyranny of distance.....in the past the leadership team has meet a few times each year face to face in addition to RTE's to discuss many aspects of the clubs direction, the prospective member would need to be east coast based or seriously prepared to travel. Pockey, Saaz and I have had far more meetings in strange places than members realize over the last 18 months  :eek

It should be obvious but I will state it for the record, there is absolutely no remuneration package with this role or ours, in fact to be brutally honest....it will cost you money, while not a fortune its a job of love and can not be taken lightly. It will cost you sleep, it can impinge on family life and not everyone is going to like the decisions you help make, but it does have its little personal rewards occasionally when a plan comes together  :thumb

If I haven't lost you yet and you think you have the passion, willingness and commitment that is considerable  :o send a PM to me please with your claim for the position by 15th of November 2015, Poll will go live the following day and close at the end of November 2015.

We will then post a poll on our forum so the collective membership can research and vote for the candidate who they believe to be best suited for the role. We will hide the Poll results until the completion of the Poll and then release the results to the forum for all to see the final count.

Now this is important!!.....If we get minimal participation and votes in the OzSTOC Forum Poll this will indicated to us that you wish us to remain with the status quo in regards to member position selection and have us chose a suitable and willing candidate as in the past. Further if there is only one applicant they will need to be approved by the majority, consisting of Pocket STocker, Brock, Diesel, myself and StinkyPete the National Rally Co-ordinator to give us total of 5 in the selection quorum. If we have no applicants, then we will get on with the task at hand managing the day to day activities of the club as we have been and using the best practices we have worked by in the past hopefully entice a suitable candidate into the role.

I know this all sounds quiet political for an apolitical group, but it will provide a transparency to the process that we have been told is lacking in the past.

:beer
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:28:13 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: Changing the process or not ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Well said
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
This looks like an appropriate and fair way forward, and is a step towards setting the precedent for the way future leaders are selected.   I would encourage anyone with a passion for OzSTOC and a willingness to get involved in leading and the decision making process, to think about putting your hand up.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
 :beer :beer
I appreciate what you guys do, as your predecessors have in the past in what can be a thankless time consuming role.
Whoever does step up would need to consider the commitment,passion and time sacifice that the position demands.......it ain't easy at the top.
Cheers Brian
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Pocket STocker

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
I think it is a fantastic idea, and i am happy to say one i have had nothing to do with creating! Well done! Looking forward to seeing  who puts their hand up for this amazing, wonderful group ☺
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
There are two things I could add.

Firstly Chris and Jean, is you might want set a deadline for nominations to close, say 3 weeks, to give members who are considering it, time to talk with family and friends and then release the poll with a similar defined closing period, to allow for members who travel etc time to log in and vote.

The other thing I would suggest is leave it open to all and make use of video conferencing if you can. It takes a little getting used to the small time delay, but over Internet is cheap.

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:05:00 PM by ST2UP »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Pocket STocker

Offline SteveR

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 01:35:22 PM »
Well written, I just wish some of the other clubs I'm involved in were half as organised, diplomatic and PROACTIVE as you guys are!! Ive only been around a few months, but really enjoy the group already, I'll be watching with great interest to see what comes about.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

The following users thanked this post: Diesel, ST2UP, Abe, Wild Rose, Pocket STocker

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
Well thought out.

Have you thought about creating the position of Honorary Proof Reader?    :rofl
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »
Well thought out.

Have you thought about creating the position of Honorary Proof Reader?    :rofl

The club couldn't possible afford your skills of critique Bill.....But you did say Honorary  :think1

Can I send you the young blokes homework to start with  :butt

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »
There are two things I could add.

Firstly Chris and Jean, is you might want set a deadline for nominations to close, say 3 weeks, to give members who are considering it, time to talk with family and friends and then release the poll with a similar defined closing period, to allow for members who travel etc time to log in and vote.

The other thing I would suggest is leave it open to all and make use of video conferencing if you can. It takes a little getting used to the small time delay, but over Internet is cheap.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gadget, post update......Expression of interest for the role close 15/11/2015 with the poll opening the 16/11/2015 and closing at the end of November 2015.

We talked and played with conferencing briefly, in that session the 2 main issues that arose where our internet speed lets us down and we spent 5 minutes looking at the other parties still shot and we had a couple of products that we needed to manually assess. But there may be times it's possible  :think1

Thanks for the input  :thumbsup
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Philbo

• Old,not bold
Re: Change the OzSTOC selection process or not ?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »
Pat on backs time!
I'd like to congratulate the leadership team for doing a great job!  The forum is interesting and informative and very supportive of those of us with a love of motorcycling.
I would personally prefer to trust the current committee to select or encourage additional members.  If it came to a ballot, I don't know if I would have enough information about the candidate to decide suitability or compatibility with the existing group
Phil

Ermagard

The following users thanked this post: Pocket STocker

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 07:03:03 AM »
I look forward to seeing how this goes, good luck to everyone that puts their name forward :thumbsup

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: gaz

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:53 AM »
Pat on backs time!
I'd like to congratulate the leadership team for doing a great job!  The forum is interesting and informative and very supportive of those of us with a love of motorcycling.
I would personally prefer to trust the current committee to select or encourage additional members.  If it came to a ballot, I don't know if I would have enough information about the candidate to decide suitability or compatibility with the existing group
Phil

Your correct, it is a big broad group of members spread Australia wide......but can I recommend to assist you in your vote (If you chose to vote) is to research the quality and content of the candidates post on the form, this may provide some insight  :think1

Thanks for your confidence Phil  :-++

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
I look forward to seeing how this goes, good luck to everyone that puts their name forward :thumbsup

think it is a fantastic idea,  :crackup
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
 :popcorn

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
 :popcorn  :popcorn  :beer
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »
Great idea but in all seriousness I feel the way it has been done has worked well.

Having been (and currently still on) a number of boards I can say there is a huge benefit to the working progress when all board members are on the same page.

As there is no financial benefit ( nor could there possibly be ) I like the idea of the current board members choosing someone they can and want to work with.

I understand the issues about transparency and the like but again we are not a financially motivated club and as you said it will actually cost the board members to be a part of it.

I will support the executive if they choose someone and I will also support members if it comes to a vote...... although I think we are going to have had enough of electioneering in the coming months with some State and federal elections due and also a lot of councils are coming up for renewal as well.   :fp
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

The following users thanked this post: Pocket STocker

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »
I am quite happy with what is proposed.
An old saying, 'We may not see eye to eye, but at least we are all looking in the same direction'.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Abe, Pocket STocker

Offline Skip

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 07:36:39 PM »
To Chris and Jean. I think you are a fantastically awesome couple. If no one voluntarily puts their hand up, I have total confidence that you would approach a likeminded person to join the team. I fail to see how anyone could be in this for self interest. Well done to everyone that has had an input into running and co-ordinating this blog/forum. Legends, every one of you.  :thumb 
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
I'm in it for the renumeration and retirement package...

Due to be doubled at Xmas..

o:) o:) o:) o:) o:) o:) o:)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 08:18:13 PM »
Brock you are worth heaps more . . Quadruple what you get now . . I'll support that!
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Yep an increase to 3/5ths of ?ark all is still an increase  :hatwave
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
UPDATE:

Well the 15th November closing date has come and gone, thank you for the PM's of support and the support of the current and previous leadership and moderation team  :thumbsup

We had 1x phone call to ask a couple of questions but no ensuing PM and 1x PM for the role.

Based on only the 1 application the 5 admin/moderation members mentioned above will now discuss and vote.

Stay tuned.

:popcorn
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
 :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
opcorn  opcorn opcorn opcorn
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555