Author Topic: Motorcycle camping tricks'n'tips  (Read 5125 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Motorcycle camping tricks'n'tips
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »
It occurred to me that we may all have those little bizarre camping tricks and tips that are really worth sharing to keep them alive. There is no future in keeping quiet on these practical and innovative ideas that makes travelling light on a bike so much easier and fore filling.

So let's hear your tried, tested and proven ideas and the fails along the way......

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Motorcycle camping tricks'n'tips
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
Here is just one of mine...tried tested and used over many years on bush camping trips.

When we camp we love a modest fire and intensionally look for suitable locations based on this....sometimes for cooking and occasionally for warmth, but mostly just to sit around and stare at the fire.

In Place of fire lighters or other aggressive forms of ignition I started gathering and storing in a sealed ziplock bag the lint from the cloths-dryer filter, mix a little Manuka shavings (fat wood ) into the bag and you have a red hot solution for starting a camp fire even with less than perfect wood. I tend to use a ferrocium  stick to start the lint with ease.

The other solutions to the same problem instead of commercial fire lighters and matches is to use cotton balls soaked in a little Vaseline, used teabags soaked in kero and allowed to dry in the sun then kept in a tabaco tin or magnesium shavings.....I have used all of these additional methods with varying degrees of complete success.

So what's your tips ??
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:29:01 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ST.George, gaz, Gerard & Sandra

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
I've never had much trouble getting fires going (even our combustion wood heater) with the leaf and twigs laying under most trees; a match maybe two or a cig lighter is enough. For me a fire is a winter only thing.

Generally I recycle the water from the Esky for washing dishes etc. Might even give myself a wash over after a hot day on the road. I have a small bucket that I kept from our laundry soap.

On hot nights I only put the inner mesh part of my dome tent up. Just like sleeping under the stars without the bugs getting to you.

I freeze water in 3 or 4 two litre soft drink plastic bottles for the Esky so I don't need to buy ice for a few days. As the ice melts it gets recycled to drinking or food cooking water (this too can be used for washing up after).
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ST.George, gaz

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Tent Pegs for Hard Ground
When camping on the bike, I don't want to be carrying 3 kg of bulky hard ground tent pegs, so mine are all thin and lightweight pegs.   I do, however, carry just one seriously heavy duty peg for hard ground.   If it's needed, I'll make the necessary hole with the heavy peg, then pull it out and insert the lightweight peg.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ST2UP, Abe, ST.George, cravenhaven, SteveR

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »
Similar to Alan with the frozen water but we used 3/4 full wine bladders.

The reason for this is that when they are no longer frozen or full of potable water we can then scrunch them up and they take up almost zero room.

Also they will often be able to squeeze into a come ground freezer if they have one in the park you are at...... some do have these facilities.   :grin

The other thing I do like ST2UP is to collect in a large ziplock bag ( I think they are called storage size) a whole bunch of very thin kindling. We have a few acacia trees and these make great kindling when their branches die off.  I keep them in a plastic zip lock because the kindling bag is not always in a water proof place.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ST2UP

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
Here is just one of mine...tried tested and used over many years on bush camping trips.

When we camp we love a modest fire and intensionally look for suitable locations based on this....sometimes for cooking and occasionally for warmth, but mostly just to sit around and stare at the fire.

In Place of fire lighters or other aggressive forms of ignition I started gathering and storing in a sealed ziplock bag the lint from the cloths-dryer filter, mix a little Manuka shavings (fat wood ) into the bag and you have a red hot solution for starting a camp fire even with less than perfect wood. I tend to use a ferrocium  stick to start the lint with ease.

The other solutions to the same problem instead of commercial fire lighters and matches is to use cotton balls soaked in a little Vaseline, used teabags soaked in kero and allowed to dry in the sun then kept in a tabaco tin or magnesium shavings.....I have used all of these additional methods with varying degrees of complete success.

So what's your tips ??

So the old bucket of petrol doesn't work for you?  ;-*
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
As a general rule, whilst a water view may be attractive, so are you to the insects that inhabit such areas.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, gaz

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »
I do this for camping and travel on the bike in general, but rolling your cloths up instead of folding flat save heaps of room.

May not apply for camping on the bike but if travelling for longer periods with a trailer this may be useful.
When we had our camper trailer behind the 4 wheel drive we had a bucket with a lid that I half filled with water and added a few items of clothing and washing powder and the movement of the bucket mounted to the back of the trailer washed our cloths brilliantly. Just rinsed them that night when we got into camp.

A little bucket on the bike trailer could've used for this and showers etc.

Pockey  :grin
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
When bike touring, I put my clothes into a sleeping bag compression bag, and then quash the guts out of them to save space.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »
When bike touring, I put my clothes into a sleeping bag compression bag, and then quash the guts out of them to save space.

I prefer wearing most of mine, there's that wind chill factor to consider....

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
I cut an old T-shirt into little strips that fit into an a 35mm plastic film canister (yes, hard to find, but use something similar) , Then, when I light the citronella candle outside, I dip the cotton strips into the liquid wax, let it dry and stowe.

Also, use a cotton ball, half lightly coated in Vaseline.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ST2UP

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
While we are talking fire lighting......Doritos work a treat  :thumbsup

There just cardboard soaked in oil  :wink1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:27:47 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline NTRebel

• red centre red bike
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
While we are talking fire lighting......Doritos work a treat  :thumbsup
Which flavour plain or mexican :crackup :crackup :crackup
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
Ice lasts longer in your Icebox if you keep it off the ground so air can circulate around it  :thumb
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:44 AM »
If using Canvas products (swags, tents etc) and your seams are leaking......rub the inside seam with a candle stick and then the outside after it dries out.  ;-*
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
If sleeping under canvas, and its raining do not touch the roof. A leak will develop if you do.

It was always a good trick, in a land rover to touch the canopy over some ones head in the rain.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:54:11 AM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: SteveR