Author Topic: Is it legal  (Read 8344 times)

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
Is it legal
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
Winston 66   :rd13 :hatwave :think1 :think1
I have a query for today.
 Whilst I was out enjoying myself , on an enforced 150 kilometer shopping trip in order to obtain some needed hardware parts for my trailer build, I found that the ST eed wanted to rev out a bit and I got a little excited, so much so that if Mr .Plod had been around ,I would have been forced to join Garvo's lost and found club . In a big way.
 Now to my point.
 Has anyone had any experience with the personal savour, or the personal protector. that is commonly known as,
 A radar Dector.?
 Are they legal.?
 Where can I get one?.
 What brand or make would anyone recommend.?
 Have you got any relevant comments.?
 Any feed back or observations will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Winston66, Northampton West Aus.

:rd13    :hatwave :runyay :beer :think1 :think1
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
Re: Is it legal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »
Winston,

Up your way they would be using Laser and there is no 'excess' overspill of the beam.

It is aimed directly at the vehicle and at 100m only has a 'splash' of 1m diameter.

You're 'locked-on' and reading obtained at about the same time as you go "What's that noise?"

Don't know how well they'de work with the Multinova's but even they are being replaced with a small lazer that's left on a tripod. I saw a photo of one and even if you did see it, it would be as you were about level with it. No flash, no nothing.

Good luck,

Dave R                                                                :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
This link may help.  I would double check each states legislation though.  :law

http://radars.com.au/radar-detector-laws.php
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Down Under

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »

Illegal in NSW!  :law

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
Winston66  says.Thanks Guys.
That link is very informative.

Cheers.
WINSTON66: NORTHAMPTON.
 WEST.AUS :hatwave :runyay :beer :beer :dred11
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
Basically Winston,

Detectors are legal in WA, not very effective against multanovas, usually no good against laser (can be warned of in right circumstances), effective if Highway patrol are driving around with the radar on, but not if they use it in the "see you turn it on" manner.

See you turn it on means that as soon as the HP see you they activate the radar and measure your speed, in this mode its too late you are done, how ever if they use it against another vehicle before they see you, you will get a warning some time before you are in range. Around North Hampton, I'm guessing more mobile presence than fixed detection.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
This question raises the point about uniform traffic laws across the country...there simply aren't any! Much as I hate to sound naive, I thought Australia was one country...it says it is in all the books and advertising stuff I've ever seen, but in reality it really isn't. Australia even describes itself as a single country, but as can be seen by a quick look at the website in the link so thoughtfully provided by TJ189, every State and Territory (BTW what's the difference???) have different laws for just about everything. When is this country going to start acting like one place and stop all the stupidity with state boundaries that exist only on paper? (exempt from this is State of Origin, Go Queensland!!!)

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Down Under

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
This question raises the point about uniform traffic laws across the country...there simply aren't any! Much as I hate to sound naive, I thought Australia was one country...it says it is in all the books and advertising stuff I've ever seen, but in reality it really isn't. Australia even describes itself as a single country, but as can be seen by a quick look at the website in the link so thoughtfully provided by TJ189, every State and Territory (BTW what's the difference???) have different laws for just about everything. When is this country going to start acting like one place and stop all the stupidity with state boundaries that exist only on paper? (exempt from this is State of Origin, Go Queensland!!!)

Cheers
Whizz

We came close to having uniform national road rules when the National Road Transport Commission drafted the Australian Road Rules.  However, getting all the states and territory governments to agree to the proposal and overcome some of the legal hurdles associated with state and territory boundaries proved to be an impossible task.  In 1999 NSW took the bulk of the ARR's on board and the rest of this legislation was largely bastardised with the other states and territories electing to amend or replace part of their existing traffic legislation with the new ARR's. 

The whole reform process was a bit of a disaster.  As a result, in NSW anyway, we're left with layers of complex national and state traffic law.  It's a nightmare to administer and worse to enforce.  The dream of having uniform traffic laws in Oz is just that.......a dream! 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:45:15 PM by Down Under »

rendog

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Hold a referendum and abolish state governments.
That's my answer - Vote 1 rendog for President  :think1
I notice in the link to various state legislation that an
allegation made that a specific device is a radar jammer is sufficient - in the absence of proof to the contrary.
No more innocent until proven guilty fellas  :law

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »
The concept of "innocent till proven guilty" has been deliberately thrown out the window where anything to do with traffic law is concerned. Look at the number of people who get done for speeding when they obviously weren't, but do they take it to court No, because they know they won't win 'cause the copper wears a blue uniform and is obviously therefore in the right, regardless of what actually happened. In any instance of their word against yours you will lose! and it doesn't matter what the actual facts are. And if you try to say anything different then it will cost you thousands of dollars in court costs to save a couple of hundred dollar fine.

Anyone who thinks that the legal system is anything but 100% biased against the poor punter is living in a dream world. All you need is an accusation by a copper that you did something and you might as well open your wallet right there and then because it will cost you regardless of whether you did anything or not. I honestly wouldn't trust a copper as far as I could throw him! What happened to the idea of evidence, not just a copper saying it happened!.

Sorry but I believe that the rule of law can only be enforced effectively when the punters actually trust the cops, and I for one wouldn't believe them if they told me the sun was up outside unless I went outside and looked for myself.

OK, my rant is now officially over.

Cheers
Whizz
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

rendog

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
How about some stealth paint:hatwave

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
Shhhh...don't tell anyone this

But tests have been conducted on cars with various types of so called defences against radar and laser...and guess what...they don't work.....

A few years ago I was one of the testers...for a full day we put all sorts of things on the car to fool the equipment..... i'll sell you magic paint  :wink1 :wink1 if you want..but i wouldn't waste your money...it doesn't work....

Cheers :beer

Kev

Garn, they're paying you to say that!!  Might interrupt their income stream.   :p
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Hey Whizz...........I know where you're coming from, but I have to agree with Kev on this one. I know there are some real pricks who wear a badge :law, but by the same token there are some very fair and decent ones as well :cop. I've been booked a couple of times in my car over the years when I know I wasn't doing the speed they said I was doing :cuss, and it's very disappointing not to be able to do much about it, but in all fairness there have been times that they've been spot on :whistle. What I hate though is when you get caught in an area where it's quite safe to be travelling a few kls over the limit..............they often set themselves up in those areas because they know it's safe to speed a little :crazy. I've been a licensed driver for 52 years and have never been booked for doing more that 16kls over the limit, and usually it's about 7-8kls over. I've only ever been booked for speeding while driving a car and never on a bike.....I've been lucky I guess :).

Be aware Whizz that we have a few serving police officers who ride STs and are members of our club............I choose to believe that they're among the good ones  :thumbsup
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
One of the magic sprays, turned out to be nothing more than hairspray.

There is a paint used on stealthy aircraft, and it would no doubt work against radar speed units. There are a couple of problems with it tho, one being its about a grand per sq cm and another is that bit that seems to be in the law books about using anything that may stop a speed reading device from operating properly.. :grin

Painting your bike matt black and giving it a rough surface will probably reduce detection by laser (matt black doesnt reflect to well).

I have seen police not even bother to use hand held speed devices on bikes, as the frontal area is too small to get a good signal reflection. A gold wing, or Hardley electrify glider would be good targets but.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
I dunno if there's any truth in it, but I thought they used the rider's helmet for a target.

:crazy
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Poppy Dave

• Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Brock,

There are VERY few instances were you can't get a bike.

I've even managed to get push bikes ( just out of curiosity tho), never book one.

It's literally just like aiming a firearm with laser sights. You get the red dot on the front of your target and you get the reading. Easy.

Aiming at a helmet would 1/ be too hard. 2/ wouldn't want to shine a laser beam into someone's eyes.

Sorry guys, as they used to say in the old sideshows, "Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances."

Dave R

Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
Cheque's in the mail...  :rofl :rofl

Hmmpf,, my payment was made by direct deposit..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
I choose to believe that they're among the good ones  :thumbsup

Kev

that is a joke people....  :-(((

Oh no, another bent Cop!

(another joke- dangerous territory here)    :-[

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »
Thank's............please make it out to cash!!

Kev

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Poppy Dave

• Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

Kev

Oh no, another bent Cop!

(another joke- dangerous territory here)    :-[

VERY !

( Not a joke )
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
An interesting  anedote,

Some years ago after spending Xmas at Busselton (WA), just after Bunbury heading north, A car that had been sitting on my tail (was in a car at the time towing a trailer) manged to overtake at a great rate of knots  and disappear around the bend. A few seconds later, my radar detector went off indicating a Laser in use, but it was a funny patchy indication. As i rounded the bend, there were the Bunbury boys with their Laser, and the car that ripped past me. He gave me a very dirty look as I went past as well.

The funny laser indication must have been a bit of back scatter/reflection off the car in front. I have never seen it happen again.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »
Anyone notice that the weather was good today....legally speaking...  :crackup

Kev

Yep- legal hijack!
Although we had our daily shower of rain this morning.  No inconvenience.

Offline Poppy Dave

• Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Anyone notice that the weather was good today....legally speaking...  :crackup

Kev

Yep- legal hijack!
Although we had our daily shower of rain this morning.  No inconvenience.

:rofl :rofl
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
I think a beer is in order at the April meet Biggles...  :thumb

Cheers

Kev

Well thanks mate, but don't feel ya hafta!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Great legal weather here as well,  nice n cool in the morning
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829