Author Topic: No- GoCruise !! GPS  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Pete54

• ST Legend
No- GoCruise !! GPS
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
Hi guys!, can anyone give me some help?. My Go cruise GPS ( wich has been working great until a few weeks ago ) after loading up and working fine for a minute or so , displays Going to sleep mode!! then shuts down, but if you hit the on button straight away it go`s back to where it was working fine again!, but only for half a minute or so then displays Going to sleep mode again! . This process keeps going ( very frustrating ) i`m wondering if it`s not charging properly??.............any hints!!!??......Pete! :( :slvr13
03 ST1300

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: No- GoCruise !! GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
Most GPSs need a day on charge first before you can use them on the bike.  Try keeping it plugged into a power source if you want to play around with it.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Pete54

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »
 I`m running the GPS of the bike battery, but i might try putting it on the charger supplied, but it only has a USB conection so will try to charge it on the desk top computer! and see what happens!!.................cheers!     Pete.   :slvr13
03 ST1300

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Have you tried doing a reset by poking a stylus into the reset hole (sorry if that sounds dumb).
It should work fine if plugged into power, turn it on and see if the battery notification is showing that it is charging. if it is you can turn the gps software on or wait around twelve hours for it to charge up again.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Pete, the bike battery supplies 12 volts which is dropped to 5 volts to charge the GPS via the mini-USB connector, so charging from either a wall socket or the bike should make no difference to whether it is working correctly or not. Take a look at the charging indicator when plugged into any of the three sources (bike, mains or computer) and make sure that it shows it actually charging, if it isn't then the charging circuit in the GPS has died. If it does show it charging then leave it for about 12 hours with the thing turned off so that you get maximum charging current to the battery, then try it again.

I have a GoCruise 1602 and it has a LED on the front left side of the unit which glows red when charging and then turns green when fully charged. If the LED hasn't turned green inside 12 hours then the internal charging circuitry or the battery have died. As a tip, when you plug the GPS into a computer USB socket when its switched on it should, after a few seconds, ask whether you simply want to charge it, or whether to use the GPS as a mass storage device, i.e. you can upload and download stuff to or from it. Either selection will charge the battery, which should then give you about 4-6 hours of use before it runs out.

If the charging thing isn't happening, then try the hard reset option, and if that doesn't work you will have to return it to the supplier, although it's probably easier to throw it in the bin and get a new one.The GoCruise is quite cheap anyway and a new one gets you all new maps and the latest software, so not a complete loss.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »
Pete, it is starting to sound like a power setting in the sys.txt file of the primo software. check your mobile phone for my number as a missed call
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456