Author Topic: Blue Tooth Motorcycle Intercom  (Read 29622 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Blue Tooth Motorcycle Intercom
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi Gents,
              I am looking at getting a Blue Tooth Intercom for my Helmet, i dont have the dough to spend on a star comm, or a Scala Unit, I have been browsing ebay, but i am just interested to hear any experiences....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-BT-Interphone-BLUETOOTH-Motorcycle-Helmet-INTERCOM-/160632265379?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25666ddaa3#ht_3637wt_1139

is one i have found and looks to be ok, any thoughts?
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

rendog

Re: Blue Tooth Motorcycle Intercom
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
A2DP = stereo music when paired to a phone or MP3.
AVRCP means remote control, so if you have a matching phone you can recieve calls by touching the control unit on your helmet.
They're light at 20 grams and they're waterproof.
Unless you've got a really quiet helmet, really powerful magnets are needed, like 0.8 - 1.2 T. (Description just says powerful)
Screw on clips ??? Hope you don't have to screw a bracket to your helmet.
At 6 hours talk time they won't last on one of those 1200km FarRide thingos.  :D
Hope that helps

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
I don't have any experince with that particular one. here is some info that may assist http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/bluetooth-intercom.htm
I use earplugs these days with inbuilt sound.  Comes from too many years not using them (quite apart from too many loud concerts I suppose !)

I think you jsut need to list what you want from the system, then put then in priority order, and cost.  Bike to bike, rider to pillion, mobile phone, music etc etc.

First up I went for an autocom as the basis of my comms, but went for a hand held UHF interfaced to it.  Did not use it much as it was a pain to hook up all the time as you had to take it off the bike and charge the battery, but when I did it worked fine.  I would not have spent much more in the long run getting the bike powered UHF 5w UHF, as I use it far more now it is just wired in.  Same with blutooth module on the autocomm..if the phone is on it pairs when I start the bike, so as I have the earplugs in anyway it all is usable, and the UHF is always there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:22:30 PM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
well after much searching reviews and advice I have been on Ebay and bought:

SENA SMH10 BLUETOOTH DUAL -2 HEADSETS for about $318 Australian, link is below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330618869347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5367wt_1139

it seems to be very user freindly, meshs with mobiles and bluetooth devices easily, and does VOX so see how we go!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
Nice work Streak - I'll bet Teela is happy with that too as she now qualifies automatically for some PRADA shoes and a Louis Vitton Handbag!!!      ;)     ;D
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
Nice work Streak - I'll bet Teela is happy with that too as she now qualifies automatically for some PRADA shoes and a Louis Vitton Handbag!!!      ;)     ;D

Yes I have had to go and hand out extra cash for my farkles, that's the deal, what I spend as extra's on the bike Teela gets to spend on herself

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Rodd

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
I'm very interested in how this goes, Graham. I've been considering a decent comms system for a while.
I want to be able to talk to my wife and have the option of listening to music but also have the mobile phone cut in when it rings.

The one in your link can be charged via a mini-usb cable, so (I'm assuming) can be charged via a '12v plug to USB' adapter while your moving if really necessary.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
I'm very interested in how this goes, Graham. I've been considering a decent comms system for a while.
I want to be able to talk to my wife and have the option of listening to music but also have the mobile phone cut in when it rings.

The one in your link can be charged via a mini-usb cable, so (I'm assuming) can be charged via a '12v plug to USB' adapter while your moving if really necessary.

well this is what comes with

Items Included

Headset Main Unit

DC Power Charger

Cigarette Charger

Glued Surface Mount Adaptor

Velcro Pads

Speaker - Microphone Clamp Unit

USB Power Cable

3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack Cable

Spare Microphone spong

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:36:55 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
Rodd, suggest you also check out the Camos BTS available from Dale Mclean Motorcycle Electronics. I have one of these and the sound quality in stereo is exceptional. You can pair 2 units to it if you like (Ipod & iPhone) it cuts the music and auto answers the phone, clarity is excellent. Can also be paired to a Garmin Zumo if you wish.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Hi Graham, as discussed in a PM - that's what I've been looking at too. The problem with this type of gear is that it is so difficult to try before you buy.

So, .... If you feel like doing 3 consecutive Iron-Butts next week then you can pitch a tent in my back yard (only 1 night though!). That way I can try it out before I buy my early Christmas pressie. ;-)

Definitely post your experience here!
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Will do mate, i have just finished putting the Ram Mount on for my Phone http://ozstoc.org/index.php?topic=147.msg706#new

From what i am told they are great to use, but i will tell you in a week or so when they turn up!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Rodd

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
Watched a video where they trailed that headset setup. Sounds impressive. I've only found one place that comes close to the price you quoted, tho.

Offline BigTed

• Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
Hey Graham, did you ever get any other info on that v10 from ThirdGear? They also have a v20 that includes FM radio.

Has anyone heard of ThirdGear before? Any recommendations?

I'm not sure what it's worth - but they do say they have a "30 day moneyback guarantee - no questions asked".

Rob.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:37:52 PM by Rob »
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
I seriously looked at them, but the Sena's Reviewed better, and seem to be a better built unit
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
Hey Fellas.......just as a matter of interest the Camos BTS 200 (rider to pillion - 10 metres) will give up to 14 hours talk time and 180 hours stand by (powered up not in use) and the Camos BTS 300 (rider to rider - 500 metres) will give up to 8 hours talk time and 180 hours stand by. Dale McLean sells and recommends them. I'm sure the Sena is a good unit but I've read a review where they mentioned that the VOX is very slow to respond. In a test conducted the words spoken were "mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow", the first word to be heard was "snow".  Hopefully the problem has been corrected! I've taken numerous phone calls with my Camos 200 (auto answer) while riding and everything works as it should, if you're listening to music, it stops, and the call comes through, and after the call is finished the music comes back on again  :thumb.................your hands don't leave the h'bars.
PS: I have also read some good reviews about the Sena!  ;D
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Rodd

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
That's the trouble with trying to decide on stuff like bluetooth headsets. Trying to compare the differences and what suits you best (for the money).
I like the review that said Sena designed their controls to be really easy to use and that the speakers were a decent size and had quite a good volume range.
The firmware can be updated as well. As problems are found with the Sena then they can update the firmware to correct it.

I just did a quick search on the Camos BTS 200 and this is the first write-up I came across:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14989

I didn't look too far into the Thirdgear unit. I saw that it had a battery time of 6 hours which was half the Sena unit. It would be rare for me to want to sit on a bike for 6 hours but tho.

Sena review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

Scala review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/cardo-scala-rider-g4/review.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:19:57 PM by Rodd »

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
Interesting write up on the Camos Rodd........so different to what I've found.   

First up there is an on/off button. I never had a problem fitting the speakers over the top of the head under the padding in the helmet or fitting the mic. The wiring was plenty long enough. And the unit definately answers hands free.
As I mentioned Dale McLean from Dale McLean Motorcycle Electronics sells and recommends them, and Dale is very well respected within the industry. I doubt he would sell them if they were inferior in any respect.

There are just so many different kinds of these units now on the market and it's difficult to know which way to go...........some of them are really cheap, and whose to say that they're no good! It all comes down to personal choice I guess. I just know that I've found the Camos to be OK. 

Rodd

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
A while ago I bought a wired helmet comms system cheap over eBay.. I should have known because once I got it I put it in a drawer and haven't even used it since. I couldn't be bothered plugging and unplugging the thing everytime I got on or off the bike. So I've wanted a decent bluetooth one since but have been sitting-on-the-fence being unable to decide. Many seemed way too expensive and I didn't want to pay that money and then have troubles with them.

Another Sena seller popped up on the Bay today.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220866648306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4291wt_1396
$307.90 delivered! Time to bite the bullet!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
 :thumb that's the worst thing with buying anything, you always find it cheaper.....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Rodd

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
I was just about to purchase from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140612211869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2102wt_1163
$278 + $52 delivery (just under $330AU) but decided to have another look on eBay.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
That's a good price mate, I wouldn't think you'd buy cheaper than that!

A while ago I bought a wired helmet comms system cheap over eBay.. I should have known because once I got it I put it in a drawer and haven't even used it since. I couldn't be bothered plugging and unplugging the thing everytime I got on or off the bike. So I've wanted a decent bluetooth one since but have been sitting-on-the-fence being unable to decide. Many seemed way too expensive and I didn't want to pay that money and then have troubles with them.

Another Sena seller popped up on the Bay today.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220866648306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4291wt_1396
$307.90 delivered! Time to bite the bullet!

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
My Sena SMH10 Turned up today:

I unpacked it below, the only bogey I found was that there was no Aussie power plug:

but i fixed that as the iPhone charger is also compatible with it so all is good:

It all hooked up really easily as per the instructions, phone calls work great, music plays great, below is both units hooked up to iPhone's using the Nova Music application, streaming live music over the internet into our helmets.

so tomorrow is me putting the tank cover on, and setting up the charger to the iPhone on the bike
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline BigTed

• Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »
Hey Streak - Excellent!

Sena have told me that the SMH10D-04B is the version with the Aussie plug. However, I can only find it for $399. As you've discovered, any USB charger will do so I don't think they'll sell many.

I'm very glad to hear all works good in the living room, now for a strong head-wind test!

I have a few questions for you:

• Does the snaplock of the electronic unit onto the helmet clamp seem positive? ie. a good wind won't find it blowing off?
  • Can you get the Shoei TZX with clamp, but not the unit - into a panier? What is the helmet size?
I can't wait to get mine: my earbuds are a pain to keep in when I put the lid on.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

• Does the snaplock of the electronic unit onto the helmet clamp seem positive? ie. a good wind won't find it blowing off?
  • Can you get the Shoei TZX with clamp, but not the unit - into a panier? What is the helmet size?
I can't wait to get mine: my earbuds are a pain to keep in when I put the lid on.

it mounts very well, i dont think it will go anywhere
my Helmet is an XL 61-62cm, and it fits nicely in my top box, but not so well in the pannier

and for interests sake for charging the iPhone i bought a black cable to it does not stand out so much, and it gives plenty of length from the 12V port in the box.

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63