Author Topic: Pannier and fairing pocket keys for 1300  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Pannier and fairing pocket keys for 1300
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
I've recently purchased some key blanks for my ST panniers and fairing pocket locks, and I've located the post on the ST Owners site in the States showing how to fit appliance knobs to the keys so they can remain in place all the time.......however I've been unable to purchase the particular appliance knobs they recommend to do the job. I'm just wondering if any member has done this with their keys, and if so, what knobs did you use, and where did you get them from...........

come on now fellas..........cough up, I want to get on with the job  :well
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Pannier and fairing pocket keys for 1300
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
Selleys make a wonderful epoxy called "Kneadit".  It comes in a cylindrical stick in a plastic cylinder.  You cut off the amount you need and knead it.   :)

I made up a ball of it and stuck it to the top of the key blank and shaped it to suit myself.  It "goes off" in about 5 minutes and after an hour or so you can drill, tap and/or file it.  It's full strength in 24 hours IIRC, and it's as hard as a rock.  If you clean the subject with acetone it will stick to anything.

Using that technique you have complete control over the size and shape of the "head".  Of course it can be painted to match your pride and joy.   :thumbsup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
Thank's mate, that's interesting, and I never thought of doing that...........but, I would like to continue with the use of an appliance knob. They come up very neat and look like they've come with the bike.

I have the keys, I have the tools required (Dremel), I have the J-B Kwik Weld......in fact I have all that is required to carry out the job...........now all I need are the "knobs"...................and I'm determined to find them..........somewhere!!  :cuss
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
Have you tried Jaycar?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
Now there's a thought!!

Have you tried Jaycar?

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
Now there's a thought!!

Have you tried Jaycar?

That's where I got mine from. I got the smaller ones. A mate got the larger but I think they're a little too big. Personal tastes vary.
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
I used the black tops off small Listerine bottles. At the moment it's 12.45 1 in the morning and I need sleep, but will post photos later this evening. I also used Araldite to glue the keys in with. As I didn't have access to a Dremel, I used a hacksaw to trim the blanks, after I'd had them copied against the ignition key.
The Araldite pack comes as a two pack syringe with a spiral type of nozzle which fits on the end and mixes both the hardener and the epoxy at the same time. I'll post photos of this pack set-up later also.
The only danger is, it goes off terribly quickly. I lost one key thinking I could straighten it before the epoxy set (as it leaned away from the vertical), but I was a bit too slow off the mark :cuss.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:02:36 AM by blueheeler55 (Peter) »
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
Thanks' Roper, I'll look at Jaycar and both sizes. I'll also have a look at those Listerine bottle tops as well, thanks' Pete. I don't need the Araldite though as I already have JB Weld which is supposed to be even better. I'm interested in having a squiz at those photos!

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
Couch, as promised, here's the pics of my pannier knobs and please pardon the dusty bike:

They're nothing special, but they work for me :)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
JB weld is the best epoxy I have ever used.  Nothing short of amazing on everything I have tried it on.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Hey Peter.........thanks for the photos. I actually have a small size Listerine bottle in our bathroom so I can see one of the lids first hand. They're a squeeze to remove top and have a symbol on the top of the lid showing what's required to remove them, and I think I can see the symbol on the top of your lids. They seem to fit the bill quite well mate. They're a fairly soft plastic but filled with epoxy would be quite solid no doubt. Something to think about that's for sure!! :think1

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
That's exactly what I've read elsewhere Saaz!

It only cost $12.50 + $7.50 for postage, and there is certainly more than enough to complete my little job. That's not to say thay Araldite doesn't do a good job..........it does, but I believe JBs the "ducks nuts".

JB weld is the best epoxy I have ever used.  Nothing short of amazing on everything I have tried it on.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
While I haven't tried the JB weld, my reasoning for using this Araldite is that it self mixes and I could squeeze it directly into the caps to whatever level I needed, hold the keys in place for about 30-60 seconds and it's all done.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
I can understand that.........I'd never knock anyone for saving a bit of time and effort!!   Provided it does the job, then it's honky dory!!

While I haven't tried the JB weld, my reasoning for using this Araldite is that it self mixes and I could squeeze it directly into the caps to whatever level I needed, hold the keys in place for about 30-60 seconds and it's all done.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

It only cost $12.50 + $7.50 for postage, and there is certainly more than enough to complete my little job. That's not to say thay Araldite doesn't do a good job..........it does, but I believe JBs the "ducks nuts".

You can buy JB weld at Jaycar outlets. I have bought it in some auto stores as well.  I have also used the Araldite when JB weld became hard to get, and it is quite ok.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
I brought it from JB Weld it (aust) online. My nearest Jaycar store is 125ls from where I live, and my nearest Supercheap is 95kls away, so unless I'm heading in to the "big smoke", it's more convenient for me to shop online. If I had to make a special trip in then I'd be up for $35 (return) for fuel in the cage...........less of course for the bike but I don't really enjoy riding the bike around the "big smoke"............All right, so I'm spoiled with country road riding!! Sooooo!!

You can buy JB weld at Jaycar outlets. I have bought it in some auto stores as well.  I have also used the Araldite when JB weld became hard to get, and it is quite ok.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
Hey Kev.......compared to Nubeena, Hobart is real "big smoke"

I don't really enjoy riding the bike around the "big smoke"............

Hobart?..  :rofl

Cheers

Kev

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

Winston 66 ,
 Wonders
 :rd13   :hatwave :runyay :think1
  I used the plastic  tops off the small bottles of the dry ginger ale that I use as a mixer with the favourite beverage (scotch) that I like.
  For the adhesive there was some Need It , a two component epoxy repair medium that was left over from patching of some holes and cracks the 12 ft ali dingy  .
 This worked for me ,
 Actual cost , Nill.

Cheers
 Winston66   :beer :hatwave :runyay :thumbsup
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »
You've done well mate..........it doesn't get much cheaper than that!!

Winston 66 ,
 Wonders
 :rd13   :hatwave :runyay :think1
  I used the plastic  tops off the small bottles of the dry ginger ale that I use as a mixer with the favourite beverage (scotch) that I like.
  For the adhesive there was some Need It , a two component epoxy repair medium that was left over from patching of some holes and cracks the 12 ft ali dingy  .
 This worked for me ,
 Actual cost , Nill.

Cheers
 Winston66   :beer :hatwave :runyay :thumbsup