Author Topic: 2021-05-09 Something In The Eyre  (Read 974 times)

2021-05-09 Something In The Eyre
« on: May 15, 2021, 06:09:21 AM »
Day two of last weekend's Elliston RTE, the ride home.  Usual story, load up the wheelbarrow in the dark and wait for first light before departing.  Today's t-shirt comes complements of German punk rockers Die Toten Hosen.

I googled first light which I often do but for some reason it gave me the results for june 1st.  I wondered why there was a big difference between that time and the one on WillyWeather.

First port of call was Talia.  I was told the road to the caves was a good dirt road but it was a bit rough for my liking.

Not many new roads this trip but Port Kenny Road from Port Kenny/Venus Bay to Pygery was one of them.  Blanketed by thick fog for parts of it and having the sun in my eyes for the rest of it meant I didn't see much until I stopped at this intersection in Yaninee.

I guess most Ozstocers who have ridden through Wudinna have a photo of the Australian Farmer sculpture (it looks nothing like a farmer) but how many of you have ridden your steed on top?

At dinner the previous night Julie mentioned there being tennis courts in Koongawa with lights and all so I had another look.  I had never noticed them before.  Then again I never noticed the Koongawa Hall until BR19 despite riding past it several times.  So who's playing tennis in Koongawa?  It seems like an unusual spot.  I guess you say the same about the Karcultaby Area School.

Another thing Julie said the previous day at the jetty was we should take a photo of Bodø and create a "where is Bodø" thread.  I laughed when I heard that because there was a thread like that (over a decade ago) on a football forum I post in.  It still exists.

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26250

I hadn't planned on stopping in Lincoln Gap but the need to go to the bathroom meant I did make a comfort stop.

The only detour home was to stop in Rhynie.  I had reasons for doing so.

My blueskysea dashcam didn't run for the whole trip.  The console had packed in and not storing the date/time overnight setting itself back to the default of new year's day 2017 and since it's filenames are time and date and I guess can't overwrite a file with the same name it had written anything new on there since mid april.   I didn't notice this until I got home.  A new console has rectified the problem.  Fortunately I had one sitting around after someone gave me theirs with all the components except a mic.

I wanted the video because I almost got run off the road by a car who decided to overtake a lorry at the the moment I was level with them.  No video but I do have gopro timelapse shots.

A blast of the klaxon and they moved back.  That was Tarlee.  Eyre Peninsula RTE's are like buses.  None for ages and then two come along at once.  By comparison next month's Macclesfield looks like a doddle.

Spotwalla/bubbler missed points again.  Between Redhill and Port Augusta on the way they got nothing and between Clare and home on the way back missed.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:16:51 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: 2021-05-09 Something In The Eyre
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 08:13:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 11:07:44 AM »
Excellent report, as usual, thanks Bodo.
Does the Versys have adjustable front suspension? If so, do you make changes when going onto the dirt, particularly corrugated dirt roads? The V-Strom does, but I haven't fiddled with it just yet.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »
To be honest I don't know.  I know I can alter the traction control and one other thing on the dash but I have never fiddled with them.

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
 ++. Glad you made it through.  A lot of car drivers do think their mirrors are not something that they need when driving
Richo

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 07:29:08 PM »
Plus many drivers have no idea what a "head check" is...  :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A