Author Topic: How did you get your nickname?  (Read 75827 times)

Stickerman

Re: How did you get your nickname?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »
 :think1  That's right, I make Stickers  :p

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
 :blu13left

Well I really looove Gadgets, I am really impressed with the latest technology and I'm an Electronics/Calibration Technician at work so it kinda came naturally. 

I've had several other nicknames at various times in the Army, but they didn't really stick except for those who knew me then.
 :blu13
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
!!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
Well.......I was originally known as Tazziebaz, :) which was a combination of where I now live (Tasmania) and my christian name (Barry or Baz, for short)...............then I had a slight misshap, didn't I, and unfortunately I posted a report of what happened on this site, and then a certain 6'4'' banana bending smart ar#@ got hold of it, didn't he!! and my name changed overnight to COUCH!! :cuss

For those who don't know, I was making a very slow uturn (idle speed) at a T junction when I elected to travel over a very short stretch of grass that appeared to be dry and solid...............well it turned out to be dry on top but had a couple of inches of soft ground (mud) beneath the surface.....needless to say, although my bike approched the grass totally upright, as soon as my back wheel hit the grass, away it went, and I was down before I had time to take my feet of the foot pegs. :crazy The footpeg actually closed up on my foot and although I was wearing boots, I thought I'd broken it for a time. Fortunately a vehicle travelling past saw it all happen and they came back and gave me a hand in lifting it, which I doubt I could have done in the MUD.
Bugger.........here I am now re-living it all again!!  Hence the name "Couch"....meaning a type of grass I guess.

For those of you yet unnamed souls.............beware, Diesel is always on the lookout! You just never know what you might end up with. 

The latest one I believe is "ONENUT".................but I wouldn't have a clue where that one came from, hey Roper!!  :rofl :rofl
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline RafaST

• ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 04:52:31 AM »
Very good afternoon to all. RafaST logically comes to my current bike,yo me llamo Rafael so i decided to include ST in honor of my machine.In Spain i am also in several forums but my name changes,here i am Rafa100RS and is by my beloved and longed B. M. W,R100RS which was with me 7 great years. Greetings. :thumb
Roll forward,roll behind that more da,the important thing is to get there.

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
Re: !!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »

The latest one I believe is "ONENUT".................but I wouldn't have a clue where that one came from, hey Roper!!  :rofl :rofl
[/quote]

It came from me posting a reply in which I stupidly said that ROPER was pronounced 'Itchynacker' in Japanese. I forgot that 'Itchi' means 'One' in Japanese (I have a Japanese friend who taught me to count to 5 ), therefore, some smart@$# put 'One' and 'Nacker' (as in Nut) together and the rest is history.

ROPER
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

It came from me posting a reply in which I stupidly said that ROPER was pronounced 'Itchynacker' in Japanese. I forgot that 'Itchi' means 'One' in Japanese (I have a Japanese friend who taught me to count to 5 ), therefore, some smart@$# put 'One' and 'Nacker' (as in Nut) together and the rest is history.

ROPER

PURE GOLD mate!      :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »

ROPER
[/quote]
Dave, you could always sign it like this:
1つのナット
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
Bloody hell mate......who would do such a rotten thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROPER
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:33:56 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Skip

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »
"Grasshopper" springs to mind. How many nicknames can a guy have????
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »
"Grasshopper" springs to mind. How many nicknames can a guy have????

Hey! I was lucky enough to have Baz  Couch  Grasshopper cook a barbie for Mrs Diesel and myself and you should have seen his Ninja skills with the meat!!!!!  Couch is also the ONLY OzSTOC Member to be 1 thousand five hundred METRES ABOVE the ground towed behind a BOAT!

That reminds me - thanks for a great night Couch and Mrs Couch and the Seedlings!    :thumb       - Now - where is that thread hijack icon...

oh yeah....      :hijacked

End of hijack

OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
My name is Dan but that's taken on most forums, so I just thought of another similar name - Des seems to be available most of the time.  It seems no-one likes to be called Des!

I've just been playing around with the Profile settings and found that I can change my name!  So I still use Des to log on with, but it now displays my real name, Dan.  Cool!  :thumb

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »
I can change your name as well Dan......

Now thats cool :grin :grin :grin
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Diesel. Did you mean to say 1,500 metres???? ....4,500 feet????.... towed behind a boat???? That must have been SOME boat!!

I told you a million times, don't exaggerate!  :wink1
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
Diesel. Did you mean to say 1,500 metres???? ....4,500 feet????.... towed behind a boat???? That must have been SOME boat!!

I told you a million times, don't exaggerate!  :wink1

He would need an airways clearance from Flight Traffic Control just to go out getting towed by his boat!   :eek
 Maybe 15 metres Diesel?  That's a manageable bit of rope.  There isn't a paraglider big enough to support 1.5 kilometres of rope.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
Well, I stand uncorrected. Let's phone a friend - COUCH???!!!
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »
Fifteen hundred feet my friend :crazy.........................a demonstration flight using a 19ft wingspan Rogallo Wing (hang glider) at Lake Kurwongbar, Brisbane, at the 1974 Australian Water Ski Championships, towed behind a skicraft driven by Charlie Smith and witnessed by a few hundred. At the time the highest flight under tow in OZ, and very likely still is. I used two 800ft polyprop ropes joined together and I took off from one end of the lake, it only took me a few minutes to reach fifteen hundred feet after which time I released the rope and glided safely (thank god) down to terra firma with a few tricks thrown in on the way down. I also did many kite flying demonstrations for Keith Williams at Seaworld on the Gold Coast, and on the Brisbane River at the conclusion of the Warana Parade (area now called Southbank), including night flights with small lights attached to my kite, although those flights were restricted to 500ft. Two of my fellow flyers and myself were the first ever to hang glide in Queensland. I went on to compete in 5 Australian Water Ski Kite Flying Championships after which time I decided to give it away while the going was good.

Unfortunately a few of my friends were not so lucky....RIP John Ogden, Frank Murray (brother of gelignite Jack Murray), Bill
Flewellyn. :'(

PS: Biggles, we flew under tow almost every week of the year for 5 years at heights between 350 and 1000ft but never had clearence from any Airway Authority to do so, I recall one day when flying at 1000ft at Atkinson Dam we had a light lane fly under the kite...........frightening to say the least!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:38:33 PM by Couch »

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Mine is as simple as WE ride a ST..... = ST2UP

Cheers

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
PS: Biggles, we flew under tow almost every week of the year for 5 years at heights between 350 and 1000ft but never had clearence from any Airway Authority to do so, I recall one day when flying at 1000ft at Atkinson Dam we had a light lane fly under the kite...........frightening to say the least!

Obviously well OCTA (Outside Controlled Airspace).  The closer you are to an airport, the lower the Control zone.  The Brisbane River would be under Brisbane Airport control, hence the 500' maximum.

What you describe is a different scenario to the conventional parachute tow that boats do, which max out at around 200'.  Hence the scepticism.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
Probably because I cut my hair short.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
Hey Biggles...........they hadn't even thought about towing parachutes behind boats when we were flying kites!

I did fly once on the Brisbane River after the Warana parade (similar to Melbourne's Moomba) on 1000ft of rope...starting on a small concrete pier next to the old Victoria Bridge and I only released the rope when the boat went under the Captain Cook Bridge, I then flew out over the buildings and the Vic bridge before landing in the water next to a small jetty. There was a couple of thousand people there that day. They were very exciting times!!..............now I get my fix from riding my ST1300!!

Obviously well OCTA (Outside Controlled Airspace).  The closer you are to an airport, the lower the Control zone.  The Brisbane River would be under Brisbane Airport control, hence the 500' maximum.

What you describe is a different scenario to the conventional parachute tow that boats do, which max out at around 200'.  Hence the scepticism.

Offline growly

• ST Legend
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
well new here but here goes.
the latest form of my knickname is "Growly" , strange as it seems it started about 22 odd years ago at a party with Diesel and some other shady friends , one of them (Rob) for some unknown reason said that i fart more then i talk so decided that from then on he would call me mongrel guts.... well it stuck. mungrel guts got changed to mongrel th
en to moongrowl, monrowly foncooloo  , and lots of others over the years till we get to growly. so i can thank Diesel for and my "mates" . i have many many friends who dont even know my real name is Paul and their kids just know me as growly.
so there you go  :butt . and just to clear the air, the original reason for the name is very undeserved.
I am slowly getting my self more Honda's, up to 5 now.
Also ride GTR1400, Hayabusa & 2 scooters to mix it up.
Farrider # 469

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:49 AM »
Awesome stuff Growly - welcome aboard ol mate.

For those who don't know - Growly was the guy on the Trike at the Nambucca Heads FarRide AND the guy on the Boulevarde at the National OzSTOC Meet at Blackheath.

Looks like he might join the ACT Region OzSTOC ride meeting at the Robertson Bakery.

Knock yerself out around here champ - we're all friends.

Cheers, Diesel   PS - Great party that. (22 years ago)
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
You blokes must have been close to underage 22 years ago  :rofl
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
well new here but here goes.
the latest form of my knickname is "Growly" , strange as it seems it started about 22 odd years ago at a party with Diesel and some other shady friends , one of them (Rob) for some unknown reason said that i fart more then i talk so decided that from then on he would call me mongrel guts.... well it stuck. mungrel guts got changed to mongrel th
en to moongrowl, monrowly foncooloo  , and lots of others over the years till we get to growly. so i can thank Diesel for and my "mates" . i have many many friends who dont even know my real name is Paul and their kids just know me as growly.
so there you go  :butt . and just to clear the air, the original reason for the name is very undeserved.

Clear the air.....  :rofl :rofl :rofl you've done yourself no favours there!   :crackup :crackup :crackup

Offline growly

• ST Legend
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
so i guess this makes me tail end charlie on the rides then  :-[
I am slowly getting my self more Honda's, up to 5 now.
Also ride GTR1400, Hayabusa & 2 scooters to mix it up.
Farrider # 469