Author Topic: What is Your Favourite Farkle/Improvement to your ST  (Read 38060 times)

John Meara

Re: What is Your Favourite Farkle/Improvement to your ST
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »
Toss-up on a very difficult decision:  No. 1 I think is the seat mods. 

Improving the atrocious OEM Honda seat was mandatory and fundamental to me, because I don't think my wife or I would have ridden the ST1300 for long unless we were comfy and confident.  The John Moorhouse seat put me closer to the ground so I wasn't always on tippy-toes, gave me long-distance capability, and stopped my pillion sliding forward under brakes.

I had it covered in leather, and after many many kilometres, i had it recovered.  I brought this seat with me to my second ST1300 (swapping it over).

A close second is the communications gear.  Initially, on my first ST1300, I had J&M gear, which provided for 27meg 2-way, rider to pillion, feed-in from Honda radio and Zumo MP3 - brilliant.  Now my Starcom does it even better with less bulk and digital. 

Whilst No.2 is brilliant, I wouldn't be riding the ST without No.1.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:44:28 PM by John Meara »

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »
What make is the TPM Terry........and if you can remember, where did you get it from?

V-Stream, then the Smuggler followed by the throttle lock and bringing up the rear of the faves, the TPMS like Terry's.
PJ
That Tyre Pressure Monitor is firt rate. It also monitors the tyres on the trailer.
tj189 has a bloody good one too
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
Damm..........I believe that seat of your's would fit my backside very nicely John :p.................if you ever consider selling your bike, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee consider selling me your seat :) If I still lived in Brisbane I'd be off to see John Moorhouse, I'd love to be just a little closer to the ground.

Toss-up on a very difficult decision:  No. 1 I think is the seat mods. 

Improving the atrocious OEM Honda seat was mandatory and fundamental to me, because I don't think my wife or I would have ridden the ST1300 for long unless we were comfy and confident.  The John Moorhouse seat put me closer to the ground so I wasn't always on tippy-toes, gave me long-distance capability, and stopped my pillion sliding forward under brakes.

I had it covered in leather, and after many many kilometres, i had it recovered.  I brought this seat with me to my second ST1300 (swapping it over).

A close second is the communications gear.  Initially, on my first ST1300, I had J&M gear, which provided for 27meg 2-way, rider to pillion, feed-in from Honda radio and Zumo MP3 - brilliant.  Now my Starcom does it even better with less bulk and digital. 

Whilst No.2 is brilliant, I wouldn't be riding the ST without No.1.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:25:53 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline youngSTer

• young one
  • BMW R1200RT
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Mine is the GPS so none can tell me where to go!!! also sheepskin seat covers and throttle lock, then the windscreen from the UK with a lip on it to reduce wind buffeting etc.
Sometimes I pretend to be NORMAL,
but it gets boring,So I go back to being Me!

Bikes I've had;
Suzuki K10 80cc.
B.S.A. Bantam.
Honda CB450.
Suzuki Savage.
Honda SL100.
Honda Postie Bike.
Honda ST1300A. Best of All. GONE & SOLD
Honda CB 500X. New to my Stable. GONE & SOLD.
NOW BMW R 1200 RT

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
John Moorehouse seat tailor made to fit my backside................I WISH!! :-++

Fender extenda maybe............stops a lot of the road grime from getting thrown up on the bike. Sheepskin seat cover, maybe next, with a close second going to OEM heated grips. Powerlet power to tank bag so as I can fire up my iPhone while underway which also can be used to charge my battery without removing the tupperware. Almost forgot, honderline top box, which has proven to be very handy at times. My Kaoko throttle lock is right down on the list....it works very well, but I seldom use it as there are not really that many long straight roads in Tassie and I prefer to have throttle control in my hand when riding through twisties most of the time. The waterproof biologic case for holding my iPhone, which is attached to my left side handle bar is also handy. The Laminar Lip. Don't know if I should consider my Camos helmet bluetooth as a farkle, but if so, then it's certainly well up on the list as well. Pannier bags have proven to be handy in the short time I've had them.

What's next to the wish list.........definately Delkevic's.....I'm working towards them.  Drift camera..........also still on the list. :whistle
Don't really need a GPS at this stage as the Metroview application on my iPhone works very well through my bluetooth headset, however if I was intending to do any serious travelling then I'd certainly consider a Garmin zumo. I don't consider my raised handle bars and fairing wind deflectors to be farkles as they were already on the bike when I brought it

That's about it I guess! :)

Offline youngSTer

• young one
  • BMW R1200RT
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
I nearly forgot.  REMOVING THE MUD WAST NEST FROM THE AIR INTAKE. Does not throw you of any more when riding rough roads or trying to trickle along in traffic.

Bikes I've had;
Suzuki K10 80cc.
B.S.A. Bantam.
Honda CB450.
Suzuki Savage.
Honda SL100.
Honda Postie Bike.
NOW BMW R 1200 RT

terrydj

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »
For me it's the cut down screen I got from Eagle Screens I had way to much buffetting with the standard one 2 months after 1 bought the ST I hated it &was looking the sel it, this one mod made such a difference to me that I'll never sell it now. Plus I like the look of it too
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

terrydj

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
For me it's the cut down screen I got from Eagle Screens I had way to much buffetting with the standard one 2 months after 1 bought the ST I hated it &was looking the sel it, this one mod made such a difference to me that I'll never sell it now. Plus I like the look of it too

Mate you are not the first or the last to say a cut down screen is the best and they work. Cut my ST1100 screen down less than a week when I first got it and have never regretted it and I have met a few that have done the same thing too ST1100's, ST1300's and the occasional Gold Wing as well.
Two thing that you notice straight away is the way the bike handles heaps better and for some reason your helmet becomes quieter and you feel more comfortable.
 And when theirs bit of heat you can ride with your visor up a notch and its just perfect and you get to understand while dogs hand their heads out the window :thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:59:16 PM by terrydj »

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »

Mate you are not the first or the last to say a cut down screen is the best and they work. Cut my ST1100 screen down less than a week when I first got it and have never regretted it and I have met a few that have done the same thing too ST1100's, ST1300's and the occasional Gold Wing as well.
Two thing that you notice straight away is the way the bike handles heaps better and for some reason your helmet becomes quieter and you feel more comfortable.
 And when theirs bit of heat you can ride with your visor up a notch and its just perfect and you get to understand while dogs hand their heads out the window :thumbsup

I increased the height of my screen for a similar reason......air flow over the top of the screen hit just above my helmet visor causing wind noise also pushing my head back so the increased height put air flow over the top and I don't have aching neck muscles anymore. I can leave visor open a couple notches without any issues as well.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
You apparently don't mind looking through your windscreen.  A lot of riders don't like that.
However if I'm doing a long distance at highway speeds, I find it more relaxing to have the screen right up and ride in the quiet cone behind it.  I know it's damaging my fuel economy, and it's not "cool" but I can hear the music better with my poor hearing and it's less fatiguing on the shoulder muscles.
When I'm in "sport mode"- working the twisties, the screen is down so there's no distortion of the view and I can relish the wind that goes with the speed.  That's when it's pure motorcycling rather than simply travelling.
To each his own.  There's no points to be scored.  There's no "right" way to do it, just what suits you.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
No, I look over the top, screen is just under my eye level.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
I find that when it was up the buffeting at my back was so annoying & Yeah ya right terry I hate to look thru the screen
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

terrydj

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »
With a cut down screen, the Bike handles 100% better at least and the Bike becomes a heap easier to ride and for me more enjoyable.
I know when I have ridden bikes with screens, like the 1400 Kawa, the FJR Yammy, ST1300 Honda and the occasional Gold both 1500 and 1800, I feel to removed from the riding experience to feel safe.
The riding experience for me is  the sense of feel, not the removal from whats going on

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »
For me the best addition has been my Bike-Quip Screen which has signifincantly reduced wind noise, making long rides much more comfortable.   This is  followed closely by my Oxford Hot Grips, as I suffer quite badly if my hands get cold, and top quality winter gloves just dont cut it for me.
Originally I hated the OEM seat, but after adjusting the angle at which it sits and adding a quality sheepskin cover, it's fine.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline H3NDO

• 2004 Blue ST1300A (ABS)
  • Bringing in the younger Generation
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »
Mine would have to be the cruise control from MCruise and the tinted screen from eagle screens.

The cruise control is AWESOME and imo well worth the $$$$

The screen is the same specs as oem just tinted.
Arguing with a woman is like getting arrested ... Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you ... so use your right to remain SILENT !!! lol
:blu13left

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »
Well I have many favorite farkles and improvements, but I am really enjoying adding these lights :)

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
Favorite would have to the customised seat, I am able to sit for an hour or three with not much problem at all.  Comfort means keeping your mind on the road
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »
photo taken by one of the guys i know who has been in LA, USA

how about that for a farkle....your own mounted assault rifle....

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:26 AM »

how about that for a farkle....your own mounted assault rifle....

Now that's the ultimate farkle!   Forget the speed gun, and go straight to the real thing.  :cop
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
Boy! Can't wait for these to hit the OzSTOC Shop!      :rofl
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Dick B "Yewie"

• Sydney NSW
  • Switched to a 2015 Yamaha Tracer
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
Couldn't live without my heated grips and the handlebar risers are the best!!!  :)
 :rd13
"Yewie"

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
After 5,500 k's to and from the National ride........MCL wings.....just sensational !!

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline youngSTer

• young one
  • BMW R1200RT
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
My favourite Improvement was the installation of 2 Shoo-Roos, this also has been the cheapest addition at the cost of $29.95.

On the National Run of 5340 kilometers they sent 4 Kangaroos, 1 Fox, 1 Red Healer and hundreds of Crows which were feeding on Roadkill back into the bush where they had come from. :blk13 :blk13 :runyay :hatwave

Bikes I've had;
Suzuki K10 80cc.
B.S.A. Bantam.
Honda CB450.
Suzuki Savage.
Honda SL100.
Honda Postie Bike.
NOW BMW R 1200 RT

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
My favourite Improvement was the installation of 2 Shoo-Roos, this also has been the cheapest addition at the cost of $29.95.

On the National Run of 5340 kilometers they sent 4 Kangaroos, 1 Fox, 1 Red Healer and hundreds of Crows which were feeding on Roadkill back into the bush where they had come from. :blk13 :blk13 :runyay :hatwave

Is the brand Shoo-Roos?
And where did you get them from?
(I know you told me at the rally but I forgot :||||)

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)