Author Topic: I Just Wanted To Say... Ya Can't Hijack This!! :-))  (Read 197012 times)

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
Re: I Just Wanted To Say... Ya Can't Hijack This!! :-))
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
It's even got an instruction manual in the lid on how to open and drink em.

:crackup   :eek   :beer   :rofl

The Ferrari F40 is a mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, two-door coupé sports car produced by Ferrari from 1987 to 1992 as the successor to the 288 GTO. At the time it was the fastest, most powerful, and most expensive car that Ferrari sold to the public, as well as the first production automobile capable of exceeding 200 mph (320 km/h).

Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
Go mate - consistency is the key, and a full report is essential.

Cheers, Diesel

Writing this from my Melbourne Motel room.  Completed 1729 km in exactly 21 hours.  Missus Biggles aghast.
All docomentation collected.  Now to lap Tassie then get it submitted.  Report to follow.  Very light-on for photos, but I'll cobble a few words together.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

Writing this from my Melbourne Motel room.  Completed 1729 km in exactly 21 hours.  Missus Biggles aghast.
All docomentation collected.  Now to lap Tassie then get it submitted.  Report to follow.  Very light-on for photos, but I'll cobble a few words together.

Good onya mate. Can't wait for the cobblers! Err words!        :thumb

Now go get some shut-eye!          :well

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
Wednesday 3rd October
After a restless night sub-consciously planning fuel stops and dodging kangaroos, I got the bike ready and asked a neighbour to be my Start Witness for the IBA ride attempt. Departed home 10:50 to get fuel. The 11:00 launch was based on getting a fair bit of the 110 kph Newell Highway covered before kangaroo o'clock (sundown).  Went through the new tunnel to get to Centenary Highway in about 20 minutes instead of the hideous goat track up over Bardon.  Thence out to Ipswich and Warwick. Rode straight through there on to Goondiwindi for fuel and a bladder break. Then on to Gilgandra for petrol and my tasty ham and cheese sanger, nicely cool after thawing.

What to eat?  You need convenient food, and must avoid fat that's hard to digest and sugar and carbs that make you sleepy.  That leaves protein.  So I went to Coles and found the health food section.  Have you seen it lately?   There are shelves of protein supplements, 90% flavoured with maltrex chocolate, whatever that is.  One pack I bought had things resembling rum balls, or dog droppings.  It doesn't taste like the former, and I still gag when I look at them.

Straight through Dubbo, Parkes and Forbes reaching Grenfell around midnight. Had called wifey in Gilgandra saying I didn't have a motel booked, and would be stopping when I needed to. SMS'd her in Dubbo saying not to wait up, that I was on a roll and would call in the morning.  At that stage I still hadn't let on I was on an IBA award attempt.  Before the naysayers jump in labelling the whole effort foolhardy, I'll make a few observations.  Firstly, one is not forced into any particular timeframe like the Farrider RTEs.  One can time the attempt to suit the weather, work, health, commitments and so on.  Then there is plenty of expert IBA advice available about the hazards of fatigue.  Regarding those two aspects, I needed to go to Melbourne to board the ferry on Friday night, but left on Wednesday giving me time to spare if anything worked against the safety or put pressure on to ignore common sense, e.g. bad weather, poor road or traffic conditions, mechanical problems or health/ fatigue.  So it wasn't just an IBA ride, but it gave the ride a bit more value.  Finally, to scandalise the agnostics and atheists of the world...  my wife prayed for the ride regardless of its nature, just becaue I was out there and would need some real help along the way.  I did not see one live roo all night.  Just one little rabbit hopped across the road to say, "We're all out here- just not bothering you."

Some funny things happen on the road.  It's easy to think of the B-Double drivers as the enemy when you're stuck behind one, especially if you're unlucky enough to be driving some poor powerless thing, not an ST which eats B-Doubles in seconds.  I pulled in behind a big rectangular one at Gilgandra.  The road was flat and he was driving the limit, so I was happy for him to deal with the fauna.  We were barrelling along and I was on the truckie's channel but it was full of scratchy transmissions from all over the state.  Suddenly there was one flash from his right indicator.  I happened to be in his left wheel track (I swap around, partly to see a bit of the road ahead).  A second later a big lump of unidentifiable carcase came through the right hand side.  I don't know if that's a widely known message, but it forged a link between us in our isolated worlds.  I gave him a hearty beep-beep thankyou when we parted ways.  You probably worked out for yourself that one flash right and one left means it's clear ahead.  Even if I hadn't been planning it, I take the opportunity to honour that offer.  It might be the driver is sick of you tagging him.  Provided the turbulence isn't an issue, it's noticeably warmer behind a big truck- maybe due to his engine heat, or just because he's wind -breaking for you.  I'm definitely not advocating "drafting"- that's deadly dangerous.  Sit back  two car lengths or so minimum, and you'll still get some benefit.  The aerodynamics are baffling, but some make less turbulence than most.  It's like the ones coming towards you- some nearly blow you off the road, and some of the biggest go by with hardly a ripple.

Thursday 4th
After midnight it gets seriously cold, especially when there is no cloud cover and you're away from the  coast.  Valleys are worse than ridges.  As it fluctuated between 5 and 10 degrees, I continued on through Young, Cootamundra and Junee, by now looking for a petrol station open.  Junee has a card operated 24 hour pump, but I wanted the certainty of a docket for my documentation.  With 65 kays left on the count-down I found a Coles Shell in Wagga Wagga, but they didn't have hot coffee, so I went up the road to the Caltex to get one there at 2:40. I know the purists avoid stimulants for their long  rides, but it's fuel for me.  I need three a day, and yes, I'm dependent.  Go tell someone who cares. 

Short break, then on the road to Albury and the Hume Highway.   Badly needed a light breakfast but couldn't  find a Service Centre so went into Wangaratta to the 24 hour Maccas.  My wife is a Home Economics teacher, so I've been given all the lectures about the errors of fast food, but an Egg McMuffin when you need it is irreplacable. The great burger inspired the thought that I was way within the time-frame to reach Melbourne, making it a comprehensive SS1600 (Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1600K; 1610 km ridden in 24 hours). Back on the road I looked at how I was feeling and the distance, combined with the fact I was on a 110 kph highway and decided to bypass my target of Seymour and go for Melbourne. There were two aspects to that- firstly, the planned route was 1629 km by Google maps, but my Zumo reckoned it was a safe 1633.  I had to have a solid minimum 1610, and I dreaded the thought that the IBA adjudicators would measure it differently and say I really went a shorter route and fabricated my claim, disqualifying me.  The other things is, try telling a Queenslander that in 21 hours you rode from Brisbane to Seymour.  "Why bother?" they'd say, "you can see enough here!"

I couldn't believe the number of speed cameras there were on the highway, with no warning signs except the usual general ones. They aren't just two poles as in Brissie- they have about eight poles with multiple cameras facing both ways.  I hit Melbourne and the Ring Road decisions were thrust at me.  I opted for City ring road which included the airport which I knew was away from the city but the rest sounded less useful. Got 100 metres along it and had to make another choice.  Asked a grid-locked truck driver and he said, "Go left."  It put me on Sydney Road, and 100 metres along it there was a Golden Chain Motel, for which I hold a 10% discount card. Got an early-occupy room and my Finish Witness and Finish Docket all in the same place.  Fait accompli.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
 :thumbsup

Great effort and what.... no skippy's, you sure you came through Young?
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »
Isn't that a little on the dangerous side to put yourself through that kind of fatigue? You must always consider the other road users.

Mighty effort Biggles.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:40:31 PM by Sabie »
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »
Biggles, it's not something I would attempt myself. The most I've done is 4000kms in three and a half days to get back home in time for Xmas in 2007 and now I'm quite happy doing 800kms a day.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »
From being around several FarRiders, and seeing the planning that goes into these rides, they are always about completing your ride safe, for you and for everyone else.

The planning and conditioning that is done to prepare for one of these is quiet amazing, I only Did a 1000km in 24, and I had prepared for it and it is much shorter than the 1600

Well done Biggles a fantastic effort :)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
I haven't enough to write for a proper ride report but yesterday we rode the 270kms over to dad's place over in Berri. Most of the way over we had the wind behind us and being trailer free kept to the state 110kph limit. We stopped just out of Burra for drink stop and again on the Cadell ferry. I usually go the other way north of the river but decided otherwise this time and took advantage and used the ferry to walk around and get the blood movin'.

When it came time to leave I called into the United servo for some fuel. No major dramas with wild life after dark on the way back except for one little rabbit and a roo about half way between Morgan and Burra. When I got back home I worked out the fuel usage for the trip over and came to a surprising 19.67kms/litre or 5.08L/100kms or around 550 kms for the tank.  Slightly better than when I ran out of fuel (after 357kms with trailer) after getting back home from Silverton.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:04 AM »
Well done Biggles awesome. :-++ :-++ :-++
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »
Well done Biggles. The longest I've done has been 1100k and I know the solitude and problem solving that can be done on a long ride on your own once adjusted into the 'groove'. Great that the skippys stayed at home for you. Enjoy your rest and the rest of your ride.

:bl11

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
Isn't that a little on the dangerous side to put yourself through that kind of fatigue? You must always consider the other road users.

Mighty effort Biggles.

Thanks Sabie. 
I think my account covered all the precautions that I took.  Bear in mind I had three hours spare under the rules.  When Diesel did his SS1600 he had a sleep on a park table.  If at any time I felt I was losing concentration, I could have pulled into any of the scores of rest areas and town parks along the way.  The terms "in the zone", "in the groove" and "wired" come to mind when thinking about one's performance.  I'm fully aware of the frequency of accidents involving single vehicles that are attributable to fatigue, and also the fact that where a second vehicle is involved it can be the result of one person's micro-sleep.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
:thumbsup

Great effort and what.... no skippy's, you sure you came through Young?

Yep, and Forbes, Grenfell, Junee etc where not a single soul was stirring.  Boy, when you country people go to bed, it's everyone!  They're like ghost towns after 11:00 o'clock.  Maybe the roos figure they might as well get some sleep too.

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
Well done Biggles.  :-++ :-++

I'm planning to do an SS1600 in March on the way to the National Rally.  With some luck, the new Territory government will have kept one of their election promises by then and removed our 130km/h speed limit, a 1600 should be pretty easy without speed limits to stick to.  :grin  Longest day I've done so far was 1300, from Ti Tree to Darwin when I first bought the bike.  I did that fairly easily with no preparation, so think I should be ok with the 1600.

Wendy

:bl11
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
Can't remember if I told this story or not. But a few years ago when I got my licence I went and picked up a 250 Virago.
I live about 2 hours from where I got it from and the minute I rode of with my shiny new bike gear and L plates, I felt like I was the king of the road...well...king of the back streets. because this was also the first time I'd ridden on a public road with traffic.

As I pulled out onto the freeway the heaven opened and the heaviest downpour of rain you can think of dumped on top of me.

This continued for the 2 hour journey home. All along the freeway I felt like I was flying, in all this rain....truck after truck passing me...

My wife who was following me in the care told me later I was only doing 80km...

So when I eventually made it home. I pull into the lane way beside my house about to garage it for the day and get out of my soaking wet gear. The rain had stopped by then. My neighbour stuck his head over the fence and chuckled...

My neighbour is as big as Diesle and twice as wide, and rides a Harely fat boy (or whatever they're called).

"oh look at that, you got your licence."

"Yeah", says I thinking I was it and a bit.

So he come over and walks around it... looks and L plates and then at me.

And says  "That's cute, My wife used to ride one of these...you'll love it" and walks off

I then picked up my deflated ego off the ground and went inside and sulked for the rest of the night.

:D hahahahaha

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
Legendary effort Biggles :-++ :-++
Congratulations on achieving the SS1600 :hatwave
Thanks for sharing :thumb

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
Can't remember if I told this story or not. But a few years ago when I got my licence I went and picked up a 250 Virago.
I live about 2 hours from where I got it from and the minute I rode of with my shiny new bike gear and L plates, I felt like I was the king of the road...well...king of the back streets. because this was also the first time I'd ridden on a public road with traffic.

As I pulled out onto the freeway the heaven opened and the heaviest downpour of rain you can think of dumped on top of me.

This continued for the 2 hour journey home. All along the freeway I felt like I was flying, in all this rain....truck after truck passing me...

My wife who was following me in the care told me later I was only doing 80km...

So when I eventually made it home. I pull into the lane way beside my house about to garage it for the day and get out of my soaking wet gear. The rain had stopped by then. My neighbour stuck his head over the fence and chuckled...

My neighbour is as big as Diesle and twice as wide, and rides a Harely fat boy (or whatever they're called).

"oh look at that, you got your licence."

"Yeah", says I thinking I was it and a bit.

So he come over and walks around it... looks and L plates and then at me.

And says  "That's cute, My wife used to ride one of these...you'll love it" and walks off

I then picked up my deflated ego off the ground and went inside and sulked for the rest of the night.

:D hahahahaha

You are an absolute Legend Stringo - and def one of my fave Victorians!        :crackup

Great story mate - and safe travels to you guys.      :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
I think I'll keep her on for a while longer........

The Missus just OK'd a V-Stream for my upcoming birthday!         :runyay

Sorry Horizontal - this means we'll be twins again for a while!          :nahnah

If only it'd work for speed cameras!        :rofl                    :well               :law

Guess I'll be getting the standard one cut down now!        Wot thuh

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline gaz

• Then be The Batman
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
I like Turtles
 :runyay

I'm kidnapping your turtle and posting a ransom note...   It's only hijacking that's off the menu    8)

"It's not just my group. Heaps of people are being discriminated against."

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »
I like Turtles

I'm kidnapping your turtle and posting a ransom note...   It's only hijacking that's off the menu    8)

As Lucy said to Charlie Brown, "You're weird, sir."      :p

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
I like Turtles

:crackup ...  :think1
It's true, you should try working with him :wink1   :whistle
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »
I never check in here, so looks like I should...

And for a second there I thought Diesel had the ok to get a Vstrom so I was going to ask 650 or 1000   :crackup

I think I'll keep her on for a while longer........

The Missus just OK'd a V-Stream for my upcoming birthday!         :runyay

Sorry Horizontal - this means we'll be twins again for a while!          :nahnah

If only it'd work for speed cameras!        :rofl                    :well               :law

Guess I'll be getting the standard one cut down now!        Wot thuh

Cheers, Diesel
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
Well... Do I have to say it?.......

GO CASEY!!!!

:hatwave :hatwave :hatwave    :runyay :runyay :runyay     :hatwave :hatwave :hatwave
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline gaz

• Then be The Batman
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
I like Turtles

:crackup ...  :think1
It's true, you should try working with him :wink1   :whistle

An administrator of the "Yes to Tecoma McDonalds" facebook page has written in support of the attack.

"We are pro-anything that upsets you hippies. So burn garden, burn!"

Read more:

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Hmmmm...........   :think1    ...

Have you ever just wanted to throw your camping gear on the bike and go somewhere?  Nowhere in particular - just somewhere???

I might do this.

Last time, it was a 900km loop around to Texas. Dinner at the pub and a $10 campsite at the local caravan park with shower etc.

Just sat outside the tent late at night by myself, under a full moon on a warm, still night - then a great morning ride to brekky, and eventually home!      :thumb

This is why we didn't buy GSXR's folks!        :wink1

Cheers, Diesel
OzSTOC Life Member