Author Topic: A bit of a workout for the bike befor the end of the year  (Read 1879 times)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
A bit of a workout for the bike befor the end of the year
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »
I felt as if I need to give the bike a run before the end of the year just to see how it handled and how the seat would be after having some modifications done to it.
Early Saturday morning I headed off towards Melbourne, with my turn around being Tallarook VIC.total distance would be back to back saddlesores, so an IBA ride of SS2000 miles.
Having done the run down the Hume a couple of times made things a bit easier well so I thought.  My last trip down was a good run but this time I had forgotten that I had left around 9.30pm and my start time for this run was 2.00 am, this was a bit of a blunder on my part. I started hitting the holiday traffic just around Coffs Harbour which put a bit of a hole in my timings. These buggers are worse than the kangaroos!!
I actually felt like turning around and heading home because of this simple mistake.  I persevered with the traffic for about an hour (oncoming traffic was nuts), and it slowly died away and the rest of the run down was great, even going through Sydney was a breeze.
I camped at one of the IBA motels in Vic and woke up to check my phone for the time and it told me it was 0330, well better get up and get going as I had about 4 hours sleep, or so I had thought, it was not until I was up the rode about an hour when I remembered the time difference  :headwall actually had three hours sleep.
I was glad that I had taken the warm n safe jacket along as it was very cool when I woke up, so plugging it and the gloves in made things very comfortable.
I did have a nice experience on the way back somewhere between Coff Harbour and Grafton, the other motorcyclists weren't so happy though.  As I rode along I noticed about 4 riders standing on the side of the road, so as I normally do I stuck the old thumb up to see if all was well, uh oh....got a thumbs down, took about three kilometers before I could turn around but got back to them.  There was a flat tyre on one of the bikes and not a repair kit amongst them. Quickly pulled out mine got him patched up and off.  The group were from Coastal Riders on a return from the Gold Coast and very appreciative that we could fix the tyre.  Nice bunch of riders who were heading into town the next day to purchase a tyre repair kit  :)
Now I said I had a nice experience from this incident and it was, as it was a nice feeling to be able to assist a fellow rider in trouble.

well, all up two basic mistakes a good learning experience :thumbs and two nice feelings, the other being completing the SS2000.  Paperwork all done and hopefully the IBA should update their list again in about 3 weeks with this one and some others that I am waiting for  :dream

Well another run down, will have to start looking at what is next :whistle
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: A bit of a workout for the bike befor the end of the year
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »
Awesome work TJ, thanks for sharing :-++ :-++
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
Well done TJ  :thumb  I can imagine what the traffic was like around Coffs, as it is bad enough during the week.  The run back into Sydney at the end of the holidays can be really bad into Newcastle (over the bridge where you turn right), but on the bike you can go past the traffic jam  at the lights and have the road to yourself, even Pennant Hills Road  :runyay
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
Great Stuff TJ  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
Nice TJ, but you didnt say how the seat was........

I guess it did the job cos you didnt complain.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
I think I still need to work out a bit more with the seat, its close but not quiet there yet.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
Great outcome.  Even fitting in a Good Samaritan act during an IBA ride!!  That should score bonus points!   :)
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
 :rofl
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456