Author Topic: What is SPOT Walla?  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
What is SPOT Walla?
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
I am planning my trip to Middleton SA and back from Toowoomba in March for the OzSTOC National Rally, and the minister of war, peace, and worry, has expressed concerns about middle of no where and checking in on me.... :CB--

Tackleberry has mentioned SPOT Walla to me a few times, but I don't know squat, so I thought I would ask the experienced masters of OzSTOC and Distance Riding.

what works, what doesn't, and is it worth having?

Do you get what you pay for?

Is there any device better than others?

Any and all good and bad advice is appreciated...

Cheers

Streak (Graham)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: What is SPOT Walla?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
You can learn quite a lot here:

http://www.spotwalla.com/

but it will be interesting to read of STOC members' experiences.    :popcorn
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »
Hi Streak,

We carry Personal Locator Beacons (PLB's) at work (not often though) pending on the job, on our person (not attached to anything that we ride and don't carry it in a backpack (in/on our jacket at the front for easy and ready access, hopefully we land on our backs, though.  Theory is if we were to become separated due to an incident, ie: quad bike over the edge of a road some metres away and I'm still on the road with a broken leg etc, its no good to me attached to the bike and I then have to drag myself to the bike with a broken leg, oooccchhh).  Having the PLB on your front may just be a OH&S or Health and Safety thing with my work, but it does sound like a good idea, but each to their own.

Ours have a GPS function as well, and worth having, as it minimises  the search area and allows Emergency Services to find you quicker in your time of need.  I'll find out the brand for you.

They due need servicing and the price of replacing the battery (by a authorised dealer and re-certification for the next "X" amount of years) is close to the price of a new one, I hear.  Have you thought of hiring a satellite phone just for that time that you need it ??? emergencies only calls, gets expensive otherwise.

Government site:

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/registration.html

This site has good info and sellers list as well:

http://www.bwrs.org.au/?q=node/238

Have fun researching.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:11:40 AM »
G'Day Graham,

We run a SPOT 2 in addition to a Sat phone and conventional GPS for our other hobby 4x4 touring.....don't use the SPOTwalla site.....Have the SPOT setup to send a text message to a number of ppl's mobile with our Long/Lats and a preset OK message, in addition also sends to their email address which opens in google earth.

The Spot has 4 functions for sending, a help button that I have set up for non-life threatening emergency i.e breakdown that transmits my location and vehicle details, the OK button that sends a preset "where ok on this trip".....the 911 button for life threatening emergencies.....and tracking which displays a track of your location back to a email address (pay extra for this).

The SPOT uses satellites which is then transmitted back to the US, in the case of the 911 function they contact SAR in Canberra.

Cost is about $225 for the device then $110 a year to have on the network....this gives you 200 free messages. Uses lithium or conventional AA batteries.

Looking at the Next G coverage map the most you will be away from TELSTRA next G coverage is a little around Hay....if you use Telstra ?

Will have SPOT with me at Nambucca if you want a play.

Cheers

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:52:36 AM »
Each to their own thing I guess but for me it's not a problem being out of touch.

If it crossed my mind I might phone Heather at about the half way point when I used to do the 4000km hike between Adelaide and Karratha and Port Hedland (I worked both places). With Heather's brother at Boulder I'd call in there sometimes and call Heather while there. Sometimes I'd make a call from a public phone at a roadhouse if there was no mobile coverage. But I'd only make one, maybe two calls on a four night trip.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
It's not so much the out of touch but a safety factor to "if" something happened, I am keen to have anything that would mean I am located easily as well, coming from the west I have seen first hand how long it takes to find someone when all you know is they are between point a and point b, I would rather be found in hours rather than days....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »
I think that the FarRider thread gives a good account of options. I don't have one myself but have asked around and looked into it, just haven't done anything about it as yet.  Just at the moment I am following one trip that does not seem to be going to plan (not a safety issue), so am about to ask what is going on.

Should also have added that I have bought comms gear of this mob over the years  http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280&products_id=3168  quick delivery even though they are in WA.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:04:08 AM by saaz »
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
Streak, 

The whole idea of SpotWalla (one word) is a method of tracking the SPOT device that a lot of distance riders world wide utilise.  It isn't necessarily for the rider, unless you like to review your trip when you get home, but it is a method for the family, or friends to keep an eye on where you are when you don't have that contact.  I have found with kids, and a wife that knows what can happen, after her father had some serious crashes, the nervousness of the family goes down when they can log onto the computer and see where you are when you are riding backroads or remote areas. 

Don't get a SPOT device and SpotWalla mixed up, as they are two different things and they work independently of each other.  You can have a SPOT device and just use the SPOT site for tracking your route, or you can log into Jason Jonas' site (see below) and make yourself a page for people to track your rides/trips etc.  You have the ability to put on messages such as taking a break, if you pull over, so any watchers don't think you've crashed, the end of day message so they can relax that you have reached your daily destination, a mechanical breakdown type message that isn't life threatening, or a personalised message for medical emergencies.  You can also have these messages sent to multiple phones & Email accounts and personalise which ones go where.  For instance I have my break & end of day messages going to my wife and kids phones, and my email & then the breakdown and medical to another FarRider, and ex-copper, as a backup to help co-ordinate things.   

The SPOT device is the emergency locator device, similar to a PLB that Abe is talking about, but doesn't need to be changed when the batteries run out if you haven't used it, and if the frequencies are changed again, and doesn't cost you $400 up front.  However you do pay a yearly fee for unlimited tracking (I think up to 2000 points are free) after purchase, can use it everyday, change the batteries as required, and you can also send the non urgent message that you can't do with a PLB when in remote areas that you can't use a phone for.  I have also lent mine to a mate that went around Australia so his family and friends could watch his trip.  Merely logged on and changed the messages and locations sent for that period.  Like the PLB you can also carry the SPOT in different vehicles, on your person (come with an arm band) or attached to the vehicle, or in a top-box/tank bag etc.  Device costs are now down around $100-$150 if you get it from certain US sources (mate has just done this) and about $150 a year, which some may claim from Tax if you are a remote area worker for safety reasons. :whistle

Like a PLB the system is monitored 24/7 from a control room in the USA that has a direct phone link with our National Search and Rescue in Canberra to provide immediate response for urgent assistance.  Each device has a serial which is logged so they know who they are looking for like the PLB. 

The OzSTOC page suggestion was only if we had enough SPOT owners, it's another way to see rider locations around Oz, and when on rides a safety feature to check if everybody is going all right.  The SpotWalla page doesn't cost anything as Jason maintains it free to all users due to sponsorship and a love for what he does.  Personally I will be keeping mine, as do many FarRiders. 

For anybody else interested in looking: 

http://spotwalla.com/index.php 

Have a look at some of the maps and see what I'm babbling about. 

More than happy to answer any other questions.  I don't consider myself an expert, just been a user now for several years, and have explained to a few people about it.  Some have taken it up, and some have decided a PLB is better for them.  This is very much a personal choice, which depends on your own requirements. 

Whatever you choose get out on the road and hopefully not test the emergency functions.   :dred11
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:30:02 AM by Tackleberry »
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
Streak, 

Whatever you choose get out on the road and hopefully not test the emergency functions.   :dred11

great end statement Tack  :-++
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
Hey Streak,
I have both an EPIRB and Spot and have used Jason Jonas website.

Firstly in the event of coming off the bike in a remote area or any area for that matter with an EPIRB it's gotta be within reach to activate it. Not easy to do if you and the bike part company and you can't make it back to the bike.

Spot is worthwhile IF you're doing a lot of long distance solo remote riding.

However, and I'll cop it for saying this, but avoid JJ website for people tracking you. It's too unreliable and in some instances can take up to an hour to update. That is my experience. It was more distressing and caused more angst for those watching a non-moving Spot than them not seeing it or knowing anything at all.

Watching a Spot has its pros and cons. You gotta understand how your Spot watchers would handle seeing a Spot not moving.

I abandoned Spot and just ring in regularly and tell them in advance when to expect the next call, give or take 20 minutes here or there.

Happy decision making!
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline SToz

• Every day above ground is a good one!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
Sorry Streak should have added:

If I were in the future to do long rides again, I would hire a Sat phone....minimal cost and reasonable rates.

Just another thing to consider.

Cheers mate!
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SToz (Rick)
'04 ST1300A
IBA# 38032..... SS1600K  SS2000K  BB2500K

Offline Skip

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
And here I was thinking it was a new version of Where's Wally.   :crackup :rofl
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
I thought it was some kind of dessert !! :eek
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline STRay (Roo Killer)

• ST1100 - 1, Roo - 0
  • Perth, W.A.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »
Having a Spot and using Spotwalla eased a lot of OZTOC and FarRider minds when I hit the 'roo on the Border Run last year. Everyone was able to watch my progress in getting back to Perth.

I have had mine for a couple of years now, and wouldn't do a ride without it.

:dred11
Ray,

ST1100PT ( now 2 tone red )
ST1300AA - SOLD
GL1800E  Blue
FarRider   #110
IBA           #39079
STOC        #821
Roo Killer Extraordinare

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
There are similar apps for smart phones now. Glympse is one of them.
It allows you to send an email to another person and that has a link to a website showing a map with your last location on it. You can decide how often it updates, and the length of time that the map will be available.

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
So, has anyone purchased a "Spot" or an App since the last post  :think1

If so, what are your thoughts.

I'm thinking about purchasing a SPOT.

I do plan on increasing my long distant riding in the near future, and the wife said she likes the idea of the Spotwalla (I track the FR's, if I'm working, makes the day go faster)

Remember, happy wife=happy life or just get another one |-i  (I've married an angel)

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:55 PM »
My SPOT quit after 13 months.  Just stopped flashing/ transmitting.  I changed the batteries but no go.  The stationary SPOT did elicit an enquiry from someone watching, so they do work.
The upside is, Pivotel, the Oz agent will honour the 12 month warranty.
There are two models available.  The Gen 2 is available on eBay and has the advantage that it keeps transmitting when you stop, so it doesn't look like you've had an acco.  You can only get Gen 3 from the distributors (incl Johnny Appleseed, who price-match) now.  It's cleverer, and will quit transmitting when you stop (i.e. it has a movement sensor).  Fine for saving batteries.  Dumb regarding info.  A plus is it will accept NiCds whereas Gen 2 only accepts Lithiums, which are a tad exy.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
Thanks for that info Biggles, time for some research  :popcorn

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »
I have my SPOT going whenever I leave home for a longer ride. My wife feels very secure knowing that she can check online to see where I am and she's so used to it now she knows when I'm behind schedule on an IBA ride.  I subscribe to the tracking and the GEOS (SAR). Fortunately never had to use the GEOS or the send help SMS but it's nice to know they are there as part of my safety regime. 

I set a trip up on SPOTWALLA each time I go for a decent ride, my missus knows if it's slow to update she can look at my shared page at findmespot to get the latest location but she prefers looking at spotwalla.  The SMS "Stopping for a short break" feature outside Telstra service areas is great for the family's peace of mind, sometimes I stop in odd places.

FarRiders often publish SPOT links for solo and other rides and it's surprising how often someone's looking out for you. You'd be surprised at the number of txt messages and calls I've received shortly after rolling into town during or at the end of a day's ride from other LD riders. My missus has also worked out how to use my MA on a leg of a ride to ring me at planned fuel stops a couple of times.  She even woke me up the other morning (5.15am) when she checked in on a rider I was keeping an eye on to let me know that there might have been a problem. Turns out there was. Ironically the rider chose not to set off the SPOT send help message despite the fact that he was in trouble and had no phone service. He chose to wait 45 minutes for someone to find him.

It's also a good way to keep a record of a ride, particularly if you are going to get it certified or like to look back at times taken to complete parts of rides to plan new ones. Like my FarRide SS1600K last weekend
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=9dce53809642ec584

And just for fun I'm tracking this year https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=88ed52ce7b3931ccc

Is it completely reliable? It's not too bad. Most often the problems I've had relate to me forgetting to turn it on properly.
Will it save my life one day? Maybe.
Does it give me a false sense of security? No.
Do I have it on the bike or on my person? Irrelevant, I choose.
Is it better than a sat phone? Not if you want to talk to people or send customised SMS's outside phone service areas. Some sat phones have a GPS tracking feature but I've never explored them.
I always use Eveready Ultimate Lithiums in it, they are expensive but I didn't need to change them in the recent 6 day TAI I rode. For me ten bucks for 6 days is peanuts when I think about the cost of the trip.
The one I have (2nd generation) has done  90,000ks or so on my handlebars and still going strong. It suits my needs but maybe not everyone's.

Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 07:30:37 AM »
Many thanks TJ and Wombattle for your reply.

Some very good points raised.

Yes, I would have pressed the button and not waited 45mins for assistance.  But we now know, he is paying the price, (read wife knows and not happy Jan)

Spot 3, plus brackets etc approx $230 + $165USD per year to operate.

I'm liking the Android-Bubbler combination at the moment, though.

Looking at an android phone anyway as the Iphone doesn't like connecting to Bikecom bluetooth with my music sometimes (thanks Dale for your help :thumb)

Is there an android phone with the ability for an external aerial  :think1, must start looking.  What are you using please TJ.

Thanks all for your thoughts so far, I'll keep you posted of what's happening :popcorn

In the mean time, please keep your thoughts and ideas coming.

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
There is also an iPhone app like bubbler but not quite as mature yet. It's called SW Connect. It stores points up out of service areas too. The phone apps are great if all you want to do is track and don't wander out of service areas too often. Happily, I do. :crazy
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
A good question to ask yourself is how often are you going to be outside a coverage area.

In West Oz, all the time..   :|||| :|||| :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline tj189

• Brisbane