Author Topic: StinkyPete's Report  (Read 3919 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
StinkyPete's Report
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
After months of preparation and planning by the SA crew, the Middleton Rally finally arrived.   I wanted to arrive early so that I could meet and greet the early arrivers, so on Thursday morning I headed off, via the Adelaide Airport to pick up Carol (Shiney's wife), as she flew in one day early due to Shiney miscalculating the time zone difference between QLD and SA.  We had a beaut ride down through some of the scenic back roads that were not included on our Saturday ride and arrived around midday.  First at the Caravan Park!.

As the day progressed a few more STs began drifting in.  The local bakery, just up the road, did a roaring trade from us all weekend, serving good coffee, and great pies and pasties, rolls and buns.    In the evening we wandered up to the  Middleton Tavern, just 200 meters from the Middleton Caravan Park for a few drinks and a meal, and it was great to meet some new folk and catch up with old friends from Blackheath.   I met with our breakfast caterers, Dan and Derrick from Goolwa Lions Club, on Thursday evening for final preparations, and then all was set for the 2013 Middelton Rally.

Friday saw pretty well everyone else from all over the country roll in, and the camp ground and cabins began to fill.   Finally the place looked like there was an ST Rally happening.  The other Caravan Park guests took a great interest I proceedings and many travellers stories were swapped.  Late in the afternoon my wife Chris arrived with Streak's wife Teela.   Friday evening about 40 of us headed for the Tavern again.  There was little space available for us, so the long suffering Donna (after banging her head on a table a few times) opened up the front room that had been all prepared for us for our Saturday night gathering.    The cooks coped well with the unexpected large number of additional meals, and all had a great evening.

Saturday morning arrived and I was soon to find out if all of the organising was going to come together.  I was up at 6.45an (still dark!!)  and helped the Goolwa Lions crew get set up for breakfast.   What a magnificent meal it was.   Snags, bacon, eggs, toast, beans, tomato, tea and coffee, and I sat back and soaked up the atmosphere and the food.

At 9.45 the police arrived.  Not a bad thing, as I had requested their presence to block the road so that we could safely leave the Caravan Park together for our “Fleurieu Explorer”.   At 10.00am on the dot , we turned left right and headed off.    The ride took us from Middleton to Clayton and Milang on the shores of Lake Alexandrina, through wine country to the regional town of Strathalbyn and across the ranges to the Greenman Inn at Ashbourne for lunch.  We had barely arrived when it started to rain, but stopped just 10 minutes before our departure.  Stephen and his staff did a great job of feeding the masses in very short time indeed.   The road from Ashbourne to Meadows is one of the motorcycling gems in the region, but it was showery and puddled, and so it was a sedate and careful ride.  We worked out way through the hills to the scenic ride along the top of the range to the Myponga Dam.    With the south coast stretched out before us, be rode down into the beachside town of Carrickalinga and Yankalilla, and then along the Inman Valley Road towards Victor Harbor.   I had arranged for us to use a grassed area at the golf club for a photo opportunity and the sight of almost 40 ST Hondas lined up was spectacular.   We arrived back at Middleton by 4.30pm.

Saturday evening we headed again to the Middleton Tavern for our formal evening dinner, followed by our after diner speaker. Mr John Evans, from the SA Tourism Commission..  John spoke on the history and attractions of the region, which has encouraged many of us to return and explore further.

Presentation of Awards followed, and I was honoured to be awarded OzSTOC Member of the Year, and well as “Mileage Master” for having the ST with the highest average mileage per year.  I was most surprised to receive this second award, when in the presence of so many FarRiders and IronButt riders.   Many thanks to the most generous sponsors of all of the awards.

Sunday morning saw the Goolwa Lions provide us with a generous hot breakfast again, and soon after many OzSTOC members hit the road again for the journey home.   The stragglers visited the Goolwa Motor Museum, the mouth of the River Murray, and the Goolwa Barrage which separates the sea water from the fresh river water.   Sunday evening saw the last of the OzSTOCers sharing, pizza, beer, wine and stories in the camp kitchen.

It is only motorcyclists that will travel thousands of kilometers to go for a 200 km ride, have a feed in a pub and share stories with mates for a couple of days, and then turn around and go home again.   This is the spirit of OzSTOC, and we'll all do it again soon.   :thumb
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:10:40 AM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: StinkyPete's Report
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
I've picked a few more photos but for some reason I can't attach them and get an error message.    :well    I'll have another go later......

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
 :beer :beer :beer :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing your report Pete and well done on your support for the rally :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
Srage's rear tyre does not look that worn... A great event and a credit to pete and the SA members for organising  :beer
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Thanks Pete - I can GUARANTEE a great time was had by all.

Well done - you are truly deserved of the OzSTOC MOTY - as, I will hasten to add, were a few other members for varying reasons - but in the end it was unanimous.  Enjoy this year as our poster boy, and expect a few calls from the next organisers to see what worked for you and the team so well.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
You're a gentleman and a scholar, Pete, and I enjoyed everything you did for us.
The best organisation is when everything just happens without fuss or drama.  That was the hallmark of the Middleton Rally.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
good write uo  :thumbs
and good to hear that there were no spills  :-++
Safety first is Safety always
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »
and good to hear that there were no spills  :-++

You had better speak to Octane about that....      Now renamed "OffRoader" I believe.  :eek
What cracked me up was when the "incident" happened, the first question after "Is he OK?" was "Did anyone get that on video?"   :rofl

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »
Sounds like a great time was had.  Will have to try to get there for the next one.  Congratulations to the organisers.