Author Topic: Rod's picks  (Read 9185 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Rod's picks
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
Some apps that I have checked out and have on my Android Tablet:

WikiCamps Australia
A user generated list of favourite campsites across Australia.
Can provide you with info on campsites including costs/free, toilets, fireplace, dogs allowed, etc.
Also a map of where it is, a user star rating, camp photos.

Oz Road Trip:
A list of nice road trips in Australia with a written report of what you can see, time taken, distances, trip map, internet links, contact numbers etc.

MotoRides:
Motorcyclerides.com
Similar to above, but popular motorcycle rides in Australia.
Ride summary, ride description, Directions, Video, map....

Autoguard:
A blackbox recorder for your car (or bike).
Set your phone/tablet up on your dash to record photos, video or incidents!

Daily Roads Voyager:
Similar to alove.
records gps, spped, etc when event/incident happens.

Glympse:
Allows you to send an email to a friend that has a link to a website that shows a map and your whereabouts on the map as you travel.

Policelink:
Allows you to send non-urgent information to QLD Police.
Provides a link to their website that allows you to dob in no-gooders.
Fare evasion form, Fuel drive off form, Hoon online, lost property, willful damage/graffiti, etc.

AndroidLost:
Allows you to control your phone/tablet if it is lost or stolen. You can get info on it's location, take photos, record sound, disable/wipe the phone, etc.

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
Re: Rod's picks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »

AndroidLost:
Allows you to control your phone/tablet if it is lost or stolen. You can get info on it's location, take photos, record sound, disable/wipe the phone, etc.
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you control your phone if you've lost it, or had it stolen?
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
You register your phone on the apps website and if your phone goes missing then you go to the website and can do things like erase your phone, disable it, use the phones GPS to send you it's location, etc.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »
Same deal with apple.....you can use some one else's iPhone,pad,pod to find yours or delete your info etc. with the Apple stuff you have to leave location services on etc.....we have used it a few times to find the young blokes iPod when he leaves it at a mates place.......also used it to give Pockey directions, brings up here location on a map and directed her over the Phone.....easy !!!

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:22:16 PM »
Does anybody know of any good apps for the Windows phone? Similar to those above.
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:58:46 AM »
Does anybody know of any good apps for the Windows phone? Similar to those above.
I think from memory there is one called "getabetterphone"

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »

It's ok Marcus, I currently have a "Cantaffordaone" that's working well.

Cheers

1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
touché

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
Watch it Frenchy.... Sack Ray Blur....  :crackup

1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
That's an iphone app, Marcus! :D

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Thanks Rodd,
Just downloaded wikicamp australia. Better then carry a big book around.
Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
I've also just downloaded Wikicamps and looks like a great resource.   However, I still like paper maps.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
I have just had a look at 3 apps.

Waze: another mapping and location app. This app sends data from each user about each trip that they make or are making to an online 'brain'. You can also send alerts to the brain (like traffic jams, car accidents, road closures) and this updated information is then passed onto other 'Waze' users either telling them that there is a problem ahead, or re-route them to avoid the problem. Like 'Glympse' you can also send your location to other users (friends) so that they can see where you are. I haven't played with it much as yet, but it's something that you might be interested in and can look it up and study it yourself.

Life360: This app allows your family (or group) to show your locations on a map during an event. I guess that for events like RTE's everyone going could run Life360 on their smartphones and use the app to see where each member is at a particular time. A member can also put out an alert. This is where you write a message that is sent to everyone that is currently using the app during the event to let them know of a breakdown, an emergency, or whatever you want to say to tell the other members of a delay.

Geocam (or Geocam free): this app allows you to take a photo and the positioning information (gps co-ordinates, compass, camera tilt and roll positions) are shown while you take the photo and are recorded on the photo once it is taken (like a head-up display). Handy while you are riding and you see a beautiful view.. take a photo of it and then you (or the people that you send it to) can always see where the photo was taken. In the paid version of the app the photos can be put on Google Earth for others to see!

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
I've also just downloaded Wikicamps and looks like a great resource.   However, I still like paper maps.

Smartphones and GPS devices and the like are great tools. Unfortunately they can also be high maintenance tools as well.. preferring not to be dropped, not to be soaked in water, and to have their batteries kept fed (and in many cases the need for a phone signal for an app to work!). During this weekends trip I only took the cable for my Sena headset to be used to charge my Sena headset and my Samsung Galaxy Note because they have the same connector. Unfortunately, although the cable charges the Sena with no problems the Note will not charge using that cable. So, the next morning I had no phone, no internet, no gps, etc.

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
Life360: This app allows your family (or group) to show your locations on a map during an event. I guess that for events like RTE's everyone going could run Life360 on their smartphones and use the app to see where each member is at a particular time. A member can also put out an alert. This is where you write a message that is sent to everyone that is currently using the app during the event to let them know of a breakdown, an emergency, or whatever you want to say to tell the other members of a delay.

Wow this would be great for RTE... put in members who are attending, that way you know how far away someone is etc... nice find

Geocam (or Geocam free): this app allows you to take a photo and the positioning information (gps co-ordinates, compass, camera tilt and roll positions) are shown while you take the photo and are recorded on the photo once it is taken (like a head-up display). Handy while you are riding and you see a beautiful view.. take a photo of it and then you (or the people that you send it to) can always see where the photo was taken. In the paid version of the app the photos can be put on Google Earth for others to see!

This I've been looking for since I saw cameras now having this feature... perfect

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 06:25:09 PM »
Unfortunately, although the cable charges the Sena with no problems the Note will not charge using that cable.

The problem may lie with the output capacity of your usb power adapter, iy the available amps it too low, the charge rate is too low to be useable. You need an adapter of about 2.5 amps capacity..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:35 PM »
I was wondering about that, Brock. The cable that I used was the Sena one that has the cigarette lighter plug, but it still changes from ~12v dc to 5v dc. The phone kept popping up messages about changing from wireless charging to direct charging! I had a cigarette lighter to USB adaptor in the bike pocket too, but didn't carry the phones own USB cable with me. I will next time!  :thumbs

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
Rod, very unlikely cable is the culprit. As Brock said, look at the output of your charger. Should be around 2 amp. Wife's work crackberry won't charge on my 1 amp charger but use same cable in 2.1 amp socket and works a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 07:23:59 AM »
It's not a cable that plugs into a charger.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

Note the message at the bottom. Glad I didn't damage my phone!!

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
Ahhh. All is clear now. I use cigarette lighter to usb adaptors so I just have the one cable. Most devices these days will regulate the incoming amps allowing you to charge with a higher amp faster and then device shuts down charge sequence once battery full. Adaptors are only a few $ on eBay.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
It still holds true though, the charger adapter still needs to be able to supply the needed current. The Sena charger isnt up to charging the Samsung phones, I tried to power my phone recently from the same charger, and it went flat  :(
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »

I have just had a look at 3 apps.

.... Like 'Glympse' you can also send your location to other users (friends) so that they can see where you are. I haven't played with it much as yet, but it's something that you might be interested in and can look it up and study it yourself.

I just got a 'Glympse' of a mate's location - looks like a nifty little (free) app to let friends and family know you're doing OK. You can pick the duration your location is displayed for too. - might look in to this a little further.

http://www.glympse.com/what-is-glympse

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:58:02 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »

It's ok Marcus, I currently have a "Cantaffordaone" that's working well.

Cheers

I got one of them as well and I always laugh when i see people fawning over the latest i phone or Samsung.  I have had my cheap chinese $79 android smart phone for two years next January. Beat the crap out if it. It fact I want to buy a new one with dual sims so I can have my work phone and private phone in one but the bloody thing won't break.

It does most things an iphone will do, maybe not as nicely but I would have gone through three or four iphones by now the way I treat the old chinese phone.

And the really stupid thing is it works much better than a Samsung or iphone does out in the country.  I am guessing it must put out prodigious radition levels to do that but I don't use it that much!!!

Offline Hendo

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
 ............I am guessing it must put out prodigious radition levels to do that but I don't use it that much!!!...............

The amount of Radiation ( not the correct term but will suffice ) the phone puts out is not dependant on the phone. The amount of "radiation" is controlled by the Base Transciever Station ( the mobile phone tower). ie it puts out a little radiation close to the tower and more if you are further away from the tower. There are actually 15 different power levels.

Distance isnt the only factor, it will radiate more inside a building than outside as there is attenuation of the building to overcome.

What this means to the general user is that with lower power levels the battery lasts longer.

:think1 It also doesn't fry your brain....lol.

Hendo

Ex Bikes
SRX250; GT380; GSX-250F; XT-250; ZZR-250;  ST1100 - RIP

Current Bikes
GV650; ST1300