Author Topic: Around the paddock - 9 days part two  (Read 7292 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Around the paddock - 9 days part two
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »
I actually find the planning part enjoyable, especially when you then go an ride your plan and it works  :thumb

I totally agree.  Planning holidays and rides is a significant part of the holiday experience, as it feeds the anticipation.   I have a Aussie atlas sitting beside my bed, and regularly  browse that instead of reading other books.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline MICK

• JEDIMICK
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
Loved it thanks for sharing couldnt see any photos tho is this posted anywhere else where photos are still up? Going to do this myself, after talking to Diesel thinking of doing it thru IBA any advice?😎 do you think you would get the same mileadge out of pr4 gt's cheers mick
Smile because you can😎

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »
Loved it thanks for sharing couldnt see any photos tho is this posted anywhere else where photos are still up? Going to do this myself, after talking to Diesel thinking of doing it thru IBA any advice?😎 do you think you would get the same mileadge out of pr4 gt's cheers mick

If you're serious you'd better get into traqining by doing a few SS1600Ks back-to-back.

You can also read it here:
http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/around-australia-9-days.20/

Another legendary rider's report is here:

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/ox-34-lap-of-australia-on-highway-1.1301/

And if he found it tough...     >:()
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline MICK

• JEDIMICK
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
Loved it thanks for sharing couldnt see any photos tho is this posted anywhere else where photos are still up? Going to do this myself, after talking to Diesel thinking of doing it thru IBA any advice? do you think you would get the same mileadge out of pr4 gt's cheers mick

If you're serious you'd better get into traqining by doing a few SS1600Ks back-to-back.

You can also read it here:
http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/around-australia-9-days.20/

Another legendary rider's report is here:

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/ox-34-lap-of-australia-on-highway-1.1301/

And if he found it tough...     >:()
Cheers Biggles, very serious about the lap wasnt thinking of doing it in 9 days was just going to do my best run for myself but after reading TJ's blog im thinking about a IBA run... crazy i know my bigest ride in one day has been 1000ks and bigest over all ride was the east coast over 2weeks but hay im falling in love with this st1300 and need to get this lap of OZ off the bucket list.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Smile because you can😎

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
In that case I'd strongly advise against an IBA timed lap.  You'll just spoil the experience for yourself.
A possible compromise would be say an SS1600 west from Ceduna and another north from Perth. Maybe a third from Darwin.  Then spend a bit more time on the rest.  A mate of mine is currently doing a 42 day lap on a Wing towing a trailer (camping).  If anyone sees Steve on a platinum sort of coloured Wing with a boxy trailer, have a yarn.  He's definitely up for it. 
He's in Cape Conran tonight.  Then, night by night:  Wilsons Prom, Cape Otway, Port Campbell, Kingston, Clare, Tumby Bay, Ceduna and Eucla (that's enough for now).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927