Author Topic: Windscreen - Poly or Acrylic  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Windscreen - Poly or Acrylic
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
OK, so I need to buy a new screen for the ST1100. They are $595 from Honda or around $200 here in OZ.
The plastic guy I know, says I should pay for the Honda one (no I'm not actually buying anything from him) as they are made out of polycarbonate plastic which is much better for a number of reasons;
1) Lasts longer - doesn't go smokey as quick
2) More resistant to stone strikes
3) If you drop the bike the windscreen wont shatter and cut your arm off
4) Is stronger
5) Is more flexible and
4) Has a coating that prevents chips and makes it easier to clean.

He also states you should never use any chemical cleaners on poly screens, just mild detergent and a chamois.
I have rang a few places here in OZ and everyone sells acrylic screens as they are much easier to make.

What do you guys think?
I be interested in hearing from someone with an aftermarket screen that they have had for > 5 years.
Thanks,
A.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:54:12 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Windscreen - Poly or Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »
Honda isn't the only manufacturer to use polycarbonate.  My VStream screen write-up says:

VStream windscreens deliver unprecedented durability and optical clarity through the use of 4.5-6.0mm thick Lexan® polycarbonate with FMR hardcoating or our exclusive Quantum™ hardcoating.

What are the Benefits of Hardcoated Polycarbonate?
Outstanding impact strength! Nothing else comes close to matching the impact strength of polycarbonate, making it the ideal material for motorcycle windscreens. It is 10X stronger than H.I.A. and 20X more impact resistant than acrylic plastic (Lucite®). Real world testimonials, like the one from a customer who met a ball peen hammer at 75MPH attest to the outstanding impact strength of polycarbonate.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
This site has some information on the various types of construction and cleaning http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Windshield but I don't have the background to suggest that any particular assertion is correct.

I have an OEM Honda screen that has the coating not in good condition, so it needs a restoration.  I also have an Eagle screen that is in good condition, but the fit on a few I have seen is not the best (ie it needs some trimming to get it to sit properly), and it is a bit taller than I would prefer.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »
$US250 for an OEM screen plus $US55 shipping so about half local dealer price. Though I prefer a slightly higher screen myself

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1999/ST1100+A/WINDSCREEN/parts.html
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:44:44 AM »
Screens from Bike-Quip  http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1100_windscreens.html  are acrylic.   I'm very happy with the one on my 1300, but haven't tried to cut my arm off with it yet.    After two years it shows no marks from stones or bugs, and I clean it regularly with warm soapy water, Mr Sheen or Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
My original Honda one broke into jagged pieces when it met the ground, so I doubt that claim.
I use a 'screens for bikes' acrylic one and for two years it has been good with no visable deteration.

:bl11

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
Winston 66.

I personally would not go past a V stream I got one last year. Purchased directly from the USA. My ride is a 2003 so it does not have the electric adjustable . However I want the comfort and protection  Ie. less wind loading on my body.
Therefore the V stream for me had the best specifications with its thickness and the extra hard coating as well as the shatterproof qualities as well as the larger size. For me it is about protection and I am prepared to sacrifice a small amount of fuel economy in order to get this,
My insurance Shannons seems to be quite happy to contribute one screen a year for each policy  I hold also , so I had the choice of going away from the OEM. and the V screen was about one half the price of the OEM. and I was able to fit it itself and be reimbursed !00 % of the supply cost including the shipping.
I got the impression that they were very happy with the reduced cost to them.

Cheers winston 66 . norrhampon western Australia
Chees Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »
Thanks guys, comments appreciated. I ended up ordering one from National Cycles and did as advised passed the cost onto Shannon's nee SunCorp. Had a few arguments before they would come to the party - Seems the general rule with insurance companies these days.  Just waiting on delivery now.
Regards,
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
FOLLOWUP

Screen arrived (Eagle) from the states. Fitted - not great, but not too bad either. Slightly different shape from  the OEM - stated to be same height, but about 1'' shorter. ? Police models have higher screens?  Now four months on - no complaints. Total cost incl. freight $300.00 (totally paid by Insurance Company).

A.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
Police models had the same height screen as civilian bikes, unless it has been changed. No Honda bigger option that I know of.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others