Author Topic: ST1300 and Gilera Fuocco from Atherton, QLD to Ballarat and Return  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
Here is Part 1 of our ride report from Atherton, QLD to Ballarat with the ST & Gilera Fuocco 500 Scooter..

My girlfriend who came along on the scooter was only new to motorcycling decided that she wanted to come along to the rally, with the initial plan being that she was to fly down and I would pick her up at the airport..

6 Months prior to this, she decided that she wanted to ride, one month later she had her own bike.. A 500cc Gilera Fuocco Scooter. 3 Wheels, and a whole lot of fun.. Had it delivered from Bunderberg to Cairns where I rode it home to Atherton (In the wet & dark.. when else do you take a new bike for a ride)

For the next 5 months we took her out for riding lessons whenever possible, after three months of afternoon & weekend rides, we took an overnight trip to Home Hill and back without any problems (700km round trip)

By the time we left for Ballarat , she had completed 2200km total distance traveled... this was about to change.

14th March

We decided to head off two days earlier due to a few things changing at the last minute... so it was a quick pack to get ready for a morning departure.

15th March

Time to head off.. Bikes all loaded, Time to put all the last few weeks of planning to good use.

To make life interesting, the ST developed a water leak on 13th, which I hoped would settle down on the trip or worst case I’d have to get it fixed it on the way…
Oh well.. I wasn’t going to miss out on the rally for a stupid leak at the last minute..

The first day was a big one.. Atherton to Clermont via Greenvale & Charters Towers.  890km according to google maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/00S7D

I know that 890km isn’t the biggest day out on an ST, but for Megan to undertake this after only having her L plates 5 months, and just over 2000km of riding practice prior to heading off this was a massive day out!

We were on the road about 7:15am, first planned stop was Greenvale about 310km from home for fuel, and a stretch.. well, that didn’t go to plan… at the 300km mark the scooter decided it was thirsty and promptly stopped.. Quickly emptied the 5L spare fuel into it and continued on for the fuel and stretch stop.. 

Now we know what the range of the scooter was, we continued on knowing the longest legs of the trip were just ahead.

We hit Charters towers around 1:30 for a quick refuel & lunch stop.

The next leg through to Clermont was a 380km stretch, with only one fuel stop in the middle at Belyando Crossing Roadhouse. No problems for the ST, the scooter should have been able to make it with only the 5L fuel can, but will filled up the scooter anyway..

Dearest fuel purchase of the trip at $2.05, so it was a quick refuel, drink and stretch, then back on the road to make Clermont before dark.

6:20pm and we arrived at Clermont, so grabbed an unpowered site at the caravan park and setup for the night. We were the only people in tents, and during the whole days riding only saw one other motorbike out on the road. Grabbed some take away meals from the pub, then settled down for the night..

16th March
Clermont  to Roma.

https://goo.gl/maps/cNryZ

After packing up camp, and working out how to fit everything back into the bikes it was back on the road.

Morning breakfast at McDonalds in Emerald, and had a chance to catch up with a friend I hadn’t seen in 14 years. Filled the bikes with fuel and away we went.

This was a mostly uneventful trip with some boring scenery, mostly dead roo’s and no live grass to be seen.. 60km from Roma the mount to my top-box snapped and attempted to throw all our camping gear onto the road. Tied it up as good as we could with bungee straps and limped it into Roma, where we stopped at the “Big Rig Top Tourist Park” where we were the only people in tents once again.

17th March

https://goo.gl/maps/vTaJq

Thanks to Streak who organised for me to borrow some tools at a friends place I was able to get the bike back together, then a quick trip around to supercheap to grab a new drinks fridge as my one died on the last leg on the day before. New fridge, plugged it in and grabbed some cold drinks, then away we went.
The plan was to head towards Dubbo, and stop when needed. Well, even with the late start we managed to get to Lightning ridge, called an early day and setup camp for the night at Lightning Ridge Outback Resort. .

New Drinks Fridge

18th March
Lightning Ridge to Dubbo

https://goo.gl/maps/5BoU0

A nice early morning packup, after cursing at crossing the border, and the clocks changing timezones and making the 6am wakeup alarm a little earlier than we were expecting.

Morning stretch & Food stop at  Coonamble NSW, then onto Dubbo. Straight around to the zoo and played tourist for a  few hours until the zoo shut, then around to the Big 4 Caravan Park for the night, where we came across the first other bikes we had seen touring around, camped just up from where we had setup. Two couples riding oversized air compressors around (Harleys :P)

We had a relaxing afternoon, which was nice after a few big days on the road was nice, did the washing and just relaxed.. An early night so we could get to the zoo in the morning to finish looking around.

19th March
Back to the zoo!

https://goo.gl/maps/fpxKB

We spent 4 more hours at the Dubbo Zoo, and after lunch decided we better get back on the road so we could make Wagga Wagga for the night.

A nice uneventful day, with wonderful riding weather (well, all the weather has been good so far).

We managed to get into Wagga Wagga before dark, but instead of camping we decided instead of the $30 for an unpowered site for the night we managed to get a motel room for $65..  Basic old room, but all we wanted was a hot shower & a bed.

19th March

Wagga Wagga to Bairnsdale

https://goo.gl/maps/jNKw8

We left Wagga Wagga early, and headed to Albury for a nice breakfast at a local café, and a quick stop at supercheap to grab a multi-tool so I have a knife to fix my helmet.. it had been digging and hurting my forehead on the long days, so I smoothed it where it was affecting me.

Then it was off via the Great Alpine Road for a nice relaxed day of touring (or so we thought).

The run was lovely, lots of nice road, lots of great scenery.. Megan got a little nervous on the sections of road that had the sheer drop next to the road so we took it slowly for the rest of the trip until back down the hill…

Had the scooter loose its exhaust mount springs & clamp bolt somewhere during the days riding, and 20k out of omeo the muffler came loose and scared the poo out of Megan. Tied it back onto the bike with a bit of electrical wire and limped it into omeo, where I managed to get the only packet of metric bolts in M8 that the hardware store had, and some fencing tie-wire and tied the system back together.

Amongst the chaos of the repairs, we forgot to refuel the scooter in omeo, and 10k prior to the next fuel stop it started to run funny, so filled it up from the reserve fuel and continued on to Bairnsdale, went to get a site at the Big 4 Caravan park only to find the office had closed. (6pm).. we went around to the other caravan park in town and grabbed an unpowered site and went to setup for the night, where we came across a BMW Rider who was traveling around Victoria, and another couple who had been traveling around Victoria on their scooters. After chatting for a while we grabbed some dinner and sat around and relaxed for a while then off to bed.

20th March

https://goo.gl/maps/Nfakp

Bairnsdale – Ballarat
Was a nice run to Ballarat, running in between storms for most of the day and didn't get wet... no problems other than Megan’s scooter seemingly running out of fuel after 160km travelled since the last refill when heading into Ballarat.  We just assumed we copped a bad batch of fuel, topped it up and it ran ok.. got into Ballarat as the temperature started to drop..

After arriving we were met by the regular OzSTOC crew, unpacked our bikes and went and met everybody…

21 March

Got a little cool for the morning rally...

Too damm cold for a North QLDer..

I forgot to get photos at the pub after lunch.. oh well, plenty of others....

I'll post part two, the return trip when I get a chance..

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: ST1300 and Gilera Fuocco from Atherton, QLD to Ballarat and Return
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
Great report  ++  You sure has an eventful and long trip.  Hats off  :hatwave to Megan (scooter) for completing the trip - youth overcoming the unknown in a great fashion  :beer
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:04:54 AM »
Thanks for the read and an outstanding effort guys by you both........ :-++  :-++

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »
 ++  :-++
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:27 AM »
Bloody great effort from you both  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Waiting for part two  :popcorn
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »
What a fantastic run for you both, well done and thanks for sharing your trip  :thumbs
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:01:14 AM by tj189 »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:51:19 AM »
Thank you for sharing! It was a fantastic achievement guys!
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:15 AM »
Brilliant report, what an awesome adventure

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
You guys rock  :clap  :clap  :clap

Pockey  :wink1
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
Great pics and great report thanks

Turtle

Love the thermo fridge on the back of the bike :like

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Brave or mad to set off the length of Oz on a scooter after accumulating 2200 km of experience?
Goodonyas for having the gumption to go for it.  Great to read how you dealt with the contingencies.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Great ride report.
I towed a trailer from Canberra to Cairns in 2003 on a route that included the Charters Towers to Atherton (where I was born) stretch. The road was narrow and rutted and I soon learnt to pull right off the road and stop for all oncoming vehicles, not just for semi-trailers.
I recall there was a refuelling point called The Lynd near one of the junctions closer to the Mount Garnet end. Is that still there? I can't find it on Google maps.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Fantastic read Ben - thanks mate - well done to both you and Megan on an awesome effort - looks like the enjoyment was worth it.

Nice to meet you guys too.

Cheers, Diesel

(PS - no more leaks from my STella since her little pee pee at Ballarat!)
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
What a great experience for Megan. Along with part 2 I look forward to hearing some thoughts on the Gilera Fuocco.
Also can you give us an update on the state of things up Atherton way. Tomorrow Theresa and I fly to Cairns for 4  nights in the northern beaches then two nights wondering around somewhere now dependant heavily on the state of the roads and then to Fitzroy Island for 3 nights before flying home. Looking forward to seeing the Barron Falls in all their glory on Wednesday.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
Brave or mad to set off the length of Oz on a scooter after accumulating 2200 km of experience?
Goodonyas for having the gumption to go for it.  Great to read how you dealt with the contingencies.

I think it was a little of both... I wouldn't have let her come along if she wasn't at a level of riding needed to complete the trip, and she knew that (Which is why we were out riding most afternoons after work)...

The route we took involved very little traffic for a majority of the trip and was just highway cruising which was fairly relaxed at 110k, and good roads. It was the best riding practice she could ask for as the start of the trip was very relaxed, no bad weather or bad roads, compared to the way home where she got to get some serious wet weather, night, and general shitty weather experience...

What a great experience for Megan. Along with part 2 I look forward to hearing some thoughts on the Gilera Fuocco.
Also can you give us an update on the state of things up Atherton way. Tomorrow Theresa and I fly to Cairns for 4  nights in the northern beaches then two nights wondering around somewhere now dependant heavily on the state of the roads and then to Fitzroy Island for 3 nights before flying home. Looking forward to seeing the Barron Falls in all their glory on Wednesday.

Cairns and the Tablelands were not really affected much by the cyclone, and were back to business as usual today for just about everybody... I have seen photos of the barron falls at the moment and its definitely putting on a show!

As for the Gilera, its a MUCH better bike than I ever expected it to be.. Very capable, handles well, no problems at 110k+ with a top speed around, well.... higher than allowed.. No problems overtaking Double & Triple trailer road trains on the way down.
I actually like riding it, which I didn't expect.. enough go for a learner, but LOTS of fun in the twisties and will outrun the ST through the tight stuff..

Only downsides so far are the small front tyres, make pot-holes a little harsh
engine is un-sprung weight, so makes the ride a bit rough on the bad roads
10,000k drive-belt life, and tyre life.. not really a problem unless you do something stupid like ride it across Australia

Good underseat storage, even better with the top-box mounted.
Handles like a normal bike
Parks anywhere... even on horrible hills, as it can lock upright and has a park brake

I would like to see the same scooter, with bigger front tyres and the rear end out of the 650 Susuki Burgman with its regular rear end and better belt setup.. I think it would handle really well..

The road was narrow and rutted and I soon learnt to pull right off the road and stop for all oncoming vehicles, not just for semi-trailers.
I recall there was a refuelling point called The Lynd near one of the junctions closer to the Mount Garnet end. Is that still there? I can't find it on Google maps.

The road through that way has been improved greatly in the last few yeas...
IIRC The Lynd is still there.. haven't been out that way for a few years...

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Hey, great write up Ben, some of those roads look pretty familiar...

Pauline and I are still winging our way back home and we're currently on the Sunshine Coast for a 2 week break, one week to go unfortunately. Reports from the neighbours is our house is ok although the yards full of water and we lost power for awhile (I hope the freezers ok)

Hopefully we'll see you and Megan at Tully Heads or Cardwell for an RTE in the cooler months.

Below are some photos the neighbour sent..

Neighbours Yard .. My shed to the left

Neighbours Yard

Neighbours Dog
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
Road Trip and Adventure. Awesome  :hatwave
Enjoyed reading that, congrats to both of you on the ride.
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Awesome work guys :-++ :-++ :-++
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)