Author Topic: Police Pod Mod  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Police Pod Mod
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »
As the wife has refused to pillion I intend put my ST1100P back to it's original Police spec.
I have all the parts plus some rare ones only seen interstate. I want to modify the rear pod so its a more usable addition ie able to be opened from the top.
I have searched this and other forums for details on how others have modified their pods, however I can't find anything (I know they are out there). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Police Pod Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Send Bloodbikes a PM, he has done one for his bike.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
And did Mr Tipsy do similar  :think1
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the message, I found the conversion relatively easy. You will need the following tools and materials:

Bosch multi tool or dremel with cutting discs
Brass piano hinge
pop rivets
small washers
small lock with keys
spray paint
large fibreglass kit from Bunnings
duct tape
oil
paper and masking tape for spraying

First, put the pod on a flat surface and decide where you want the lid to go in relation to where you want it to open, get the duct tape and lay it carefully around the outside of the pod, then carefully cut the pod using your cut off tool, i used the bosch multi tool, then use a fine sandpaper to sand the rough edges down.
Next get the brass hinge, i had to cut it down to fit neatly.  Drill corresponding holes from the hinge to the pod, use a pop rivet with a washer on the inside of the pod to distribute the weight and reduce the chance of the hinge and rivet failing.
Once the hinge has been fastened you need to use the duct tape again to reattach the lid to the pod securely in the position you want it to be in before you start fibreglassing.
Go to bunnings and get the largest fibreglass kit you can get, i think its the 1kg bucket about 50 dollars and you have everything in it to do the job.
Next get the duct tape and attach it to the inside of the lid only as you need the lid to come away after the fibreglass has set, i put a touch of oil onto the tape and spread it all over prior to mixing the fibreglass.
Get some coarse sandpaper and rough the inside up so that the surface is keyed to take the fibreglass.
If you've not used fibreglass before don't rush... first you need to cut the fibreglass sheet up into 4 equal pieces, then with each piece put it inside the overturned pod, you will have to cut away some of it to fit comfortably, i cut the corners to allow for the sides, cut all 4 pieces first. Next mix up about a sixth of the resin with the recommended amount of hardener, once you start its best not to stop.
Work in a well ventilated area and don't smoke, the resin is flammable and smells. Also wear gloves.
Place your first piece of mat into the pod and with the brush, use a stippling action to put the resin on. i tried a brushing action but the strand came away.
depending on how much or how little of the resin mix you have made up you may need to put another strand mat on next or mix up another batch of resin, continue putting the mats over each other until you have 3 mats layered, i think this is sufficient although you could get away with two, three is just slightly thicker than the original pod thickness.
Then keeping the pod overturned, leave the fibreglass to set for 24 hours this is quite hard as the anticipation of seeing whether your hard work has payed off.
After 24 hours and the fibreglass has cured, strip the duct tape off the outside, and gently prise the lid away, strip off the duct tape underneath and clean thoroughly.
I then used masking tape and newspaper to mask off the areas i didn't want painted, then with a can of spray paint with thin coats evenly spray the areas, its easier to put on lots of thin coats than to spray hard and end up with runs everywhere, again leave to dry.
Then with your cut off tool, open the lid and on the new fibreglass mark out your opening and cut out, i left high sides and a bit towards the back for the lock to hook onto.
Get your lock which should be around 20mm in diameter, using a spade bit find the centre of the pod on the outside of the lid and calculating where the locking arm will come, drill the hole, clean up the rough edges and fit the lock, I had to bend the locking arm slightly in a vice to get it to latch properly.
And thats about it.
If you have any further questions, mail me back
Happy to help
Pete

:wht11

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:01 PM »
Pod conversion photos

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll post up my results when done.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Excellent "How To", Bloodbikes. 
That technique could be adapted by OzSTOCers to fabricate other parts for their beloved STs.  It might even start a cottage industry in mirror covers etc, even though there seems to be someone doing that already for a variety of bikes.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927