Author Topic: ST1100 Police Pod/Cowl/Trunk Conversion  (Read 12525 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
ST1100 Police Pod/Cowl/Trunk Conversion
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
This was my Easter 2014 Project;

Items Needed
•   Coping Saw with large arch
•   Masking Tape
•   Medium  and light grade sandpaper
•   Newspaper
•   White and Black High Gloss plastic spray paint
•   Pencil
•   Pop rivets and gun
•   Plastic clothes pegs X 16
•   Small Screwdriver
•   Metal washers x 8
•   Auto door bump protectors
•   Hot Air gun
•   WD40
•   Thin cardboard 5 x 5cm square
•   Gloves
•   Acetone
•   White thermoset plastic
              o   2 - 10 x 300mm strips
              o   2 - 10 x 200mm strips
              o   1 -  5 x 5cm square
•   20mm Hinges
•   Rat tail File
•   Short barrel cam lock
•   Safety Glasses
•   Hot Glue gun and glue sticks
•   Bench grinder
•   Dremel Tool or similar
•   Professional quality Superglue
•   Drill and bits
•   ST1100 Police pod
•   Patience and about 24hrs

Credits
•   Mr Plastics - 5/20 Herbert St, Slacks Creek QLD 4127  - 3290 6188 (Plastic and Superglue)
•   Bunnings Hardware (Hinges, WD40, Cam lock and pop rivets)
•   Autobarn (Spraypaint and Auto door protector strips)

Safety
Note a number of items mentioned in this How-To-Guide can cause serious injury if the appropriate precautions or safety measures are not followed. You should be familiar with all items mentioned before attempting this procedure.

Background
Image 1 shows the ST1100 pod used to house the radio and other electrical gear on the Police model. To access the pod you need to remove the solo and then remove 6 bolts, 4 of which hold the rear gantry in place, not very convenient at all.

Image 2 shows a UK spec Police ST1100 where someone has modified the standard pod to open from above without removing the seat or messing around for an hour undoing bolts. This was the aim of the exercise to take my standard pod and convert it into something the same as or better that the UK image.

Procedure:
1)   Read through these entire instructions before commencing to familiarise yourself with the processes.

2)   Take your pod and place masking tape on the areas where you intend to make the cuts. Image 3. Look through images of Police bike and other converted pods to see how you would like the pod to look when completed. My advice is to use the pattern I chose as it is practical, provides excellent access to the whole of the interior of the pod, is reasonable easy to create and looks smashing! The line at the front is 75mm below the backrest.

3)   Draw your lines making sure they are symmetrical. Use a round object to draw the corners.  Avoid right angles. Images 4 & 5

4)   Using the coping saw and starting at the front left corner start cutting along the line. After you have cut about 10mm you should be able to remove the saw blade and pushing on the top and bottom either side of the cut create sufficient space to insert the blade. Reconnect the body of the saw and continue. Image 6

5)   Continue cutting until the whole of one side is complete then retape over your cut to maintain the structural integrity of the pod until finished. Image 7. Retape each side as you go. Note the top section of the pod is nearly twice as thick as the sides. Go really slow around the two back corners to get the curve 100% accurate.

6)   You should now have two complete pieces (the lid and the body). Lightly sand the cut edges on the lid and body to remove the plastic tailings. Image 8.

7)   Take the plastic strips (which can be cut with a bench saw by the supplier) Image 9

and cut away half the thickness from the top half for the entire length. Image 10. The side view of these strips should now look like Image 11.

There are a number of ways to achieve this;
                     a.   The supplier has them as stock
                     b.   You or the supplier does a fine cut with a bench saw
                     c.    You grind it away with a bench grinder
                     d.   You grind it away with a dremel tool
                     e.   I had a bench saw at my disposal, so I chose option b.

The number after 7.   Take some medium sandpaper and sand approximately 15mm from the top edge of the body on the inside, all around. Image 12

9)   Mask up the body to prevent getting any Superglue on the outside paint as it will cause the paint to blister, even a small amount.  Image 13.

10)   Using the pencil mark each corner with a number or letters by writing on the masking tape eg (RF = Right Front)

11)   Cut each plastic strip, one for each straight section to the correct length. Longest strips for the sides. Place a pencil mark on the masking tape at the start of each strip to realign later. You will find that the straight section for the end of the body (furthest away from the seat) is slightly cured upwards. Note this is the only piece that is not vertical but horizontal. Using gloves and the hot air gun heat this particular strip until it is bendable then remove the heat source and hold in place on the body so that this strip takes on the same curve. The plastic normally returns to a hard, fixed state within a few minutes. Finally taking the 4 strips and the medium sandpaper, sand sides “A” and “C” until there is no shiny plastic coating visible. Image 11. You are now ready to glue the
straight pieces on to the body.

12)   Using the Superglue and the pegs, apply super glue to side “A” of the first strip and position on the body (utilising alignment mark you made in step 10) with the top of “A” aligning with the top edge of the body. Image 14. The inside of the strip should be “C”.

13)   Repeat the same process for the other three sides. Image 15. Leave for 1/2hr to completely set and then remove pegs.

14)   Using the thin cardboard push this into the space in the first corner and draw out the outline of the piece that is required to join one straight section to the next. As these are potentially weak points due to their lack of surface area in contact with the body and corners take the most stress, they need to be deeper that the standard strips, ie 15mm instead of 10mm Image 16. Write the corresponding number on the cardboard that designates the corner as per step 9).

15)   Now repeat step 13) for all the other corners. You should now have 4 pieces of cardboard. Using these as templates, trace them onto the plastic square. Cut out all the shapes using the coping saw. Image 17.

16)   Using the hot air gun and gloves heat one of these corners at a time. The plastic will need to be hotter than in step 10) as you want this to fit to the bodies contour as well as aligning with the straight pieces. Don’t worry if you don’t get this right the first time as it takes practice. If in doubt rather than trying to heat up the same piece time and time again – cut a new piece. Once you have one corner to the desired shape don’t be tempted to do the next. By the way, a small gap at either end of the straight pieces is preferred and normally happens as you shape the plastic corner.

17)   Take your newly created and cooled corner and replace it into the corner it is designed for. Using the pencil draw a line on the plastic corresponding to the lip of the body. We are going to grind this area to half its thickness, the same as the straight pieces.  Using the grinder carefully grind away half the thickness of the plastic. Again don’t worry if you stuff this up, just repeat Steps 16) and 17) until you get it right. All my corners took at least two attempts each.
When finished and you are happy with the result glue into place. Remember to sand all the surfaces first. Image 18.

18)   Repeat steps 16) and 17) for the remaining corners. Image 19. Leave to set for half an hour.

19)   Once you have finish all four corners place a small amount of masking tape over the corner gaps. We now need to make it watertight. Image 20.

20)   Turn the body over and using the hot glue gun squirt hot glue into every crack you can see. I prefer using hot glue as its easy to clean up and flows into all the small cracks. Image 21. Once the glue is dry remove the excess from your strips and corners.

21)   The cut edges from Step 6) on the body and the lid will be black in contrast to the pods high gloss white.
Mask up both the body and the lid (inside and outside) and spray the cut surfaces with the High Gloss white paint. Let dry. Repeat until you are satisfied with the result. Images 22 and 23.

22)   We are now going to install the lock in the lid. Read the instructions that came with the lock. It will mention not using the barbed ring – ignore this and using the bench grinder carefully remove all the barbs. 
Apply masking tape to the outside area of lid where the lock will be installed.  Find the middle rear of the lid. Mark a point approximately 30mm in and drill a 2mm pilot hole with your drill (slowest speed). Follow this up with a 10mm drill bit. Most of these cam locks are designed for a 19mm hole however I recommend that you start with a 10mm maximum. Now take that debarbed ring and place it over the drilled hole and using the pencil, trace the interior shape onto the masking tape. Note this will not be round but “racetrack” shaped. Then using this as a guide and the rat tail file, file away the plastic until the lock fits neatly into the hole.  Image 24.

23) Install the lock and check its operation. Use the debarbed ring (it looks better). Image 25.

24)   Installing the hinges. I recommend using larger heavy duty single hinges (2) rather than the more flimsy piano hinges. In order to use this type of hinge the small backrest needs to be removed.
Turn the lid over. Spray the poles protruding into the lid from the back rest with WD40. Using a small screwdriver gently prise the small circular retaining rings off the poles. Images 26 and 27.

25)   Clean the underside of where the backrest sits. Position the hinges mid way between the holes made by the poles and drill holes that match the pop rivet size. I recommend that the pop rivets, the washers and the hinge holes are identical in size (this may require drilling out the hinge holes slightly)

26)   Pop rivet the hinges to the lid using the washers on the inside to provide additional strength. Make sure the washers are firmly up against the plastic. Images 28 and 29.

27)   Replace the backrest over the hinges and reapply the retaining rings to the poles. Image 30.

28)   We are now going to make the lid tight on the body and prevent water entering. Using the door protector strips and hot glue apply the strips (round side outermost) to the lip of your strips and corners. Position any joins symmetrically taking into account the areas on greatest water collection ie best on the sides. Images 31 and 32.

29)   Place the lid on the body and check alignment. Once happy, mark, drill and pop rivet the lid to the body, remembering the washers on the inside.

30)   Now to get that tight fit on the lock. Rather than use the metal bracket that came with the lock, use some of your white plastic left over scraps to melt and fold unit it is slightly higher that the cam lock arm. Then working out the direction the cam lock arm swings and the bench grinder, sand away, on an angle the upper surface. This way the lock will tighten the more it turns. Image 33.

31)    Nearly there now. Take the pod and mask up all the items in the inside you don’t want painted. Don’t forget to mask up the white edges and replace any form that might be required.
Spray the inside of the pod with high gloss paint. Leave to dry. Image 34.

COMPLETED
[/size]

Oh, and if you are wondering why the acetone was on the list and we never used it? Well I kind of glued my index finger to the body and spent 20 minutes contemplating how I would go with 3mm of the tip of my first finger sliced off. – Trust me, have the acetone available.

Any comments or further advice PM me regards,
Adrian.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: ST1100 Police Pod/Cowl/Trunk Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
Well that would have taken all of ten minutes..... o:) o:)

Very nicely done.

The bevel in the plastic strip could also be done with a router and suitable bit if you have one, or a milling machine.

Note to self, now have a reason to buy that 3 axis computer controlled Milling set up :popcorn
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Well done Totgas  :-++  :-++ Now what to put in new found luggage space  :think1

A very productive easter indeed !!! Mine was spent eating chocolate and poping pimples...... |-i

:beer

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
Nice job Adrian, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it works for you.

:wht11

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
Thanks Peter, you inspired me...  ++  ++  ++
Sorry...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:38:44 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline bloodbikes

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
Whose Paul?

:wht11

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »
That was a fantastic write up and a great how to do, it deserves 10 out of 10.
If I decide to keep my white ST this will be one of the first of the mods that will be inflicted on to it.
Thanks for the great pics etc.
Cheers , winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:28 PM »
AWESOME work mate, thanks for sharing :thumbsup :thumbs :clap :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Top effort  :thumb
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline johnnyYTED

• STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
 :dred11
I'm going to follow these and convert my pod.. Thanx Adrian,,
I'll post pics when I do... :thumbs
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »
Excellent write up and a great looking finished product.  ++

Might have to go and watch Johnny modify his pod  :o
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
 :dred11                        :dred11                               :dred11
I have been modifying my pod. I roughly followed these inSTruction by Totgas but not exactly.
I marked out and cut the pod.

and painted the cut edges
I then went skip surfing and got some scrap 2mm and 4mm thermoset plaSTic and made up my lip peices by glueing a thin STrip to a wider one as I didnt have a router to use the thicker 4mm peices I found. shaping the curved section in a pan with boiling water to heat,

I then glued them in using contact cement and held them with spring clamps
I shaped the corners inSTead of cutting little bits view from inside.
next I lined up the lid and base and put the hinges on with washers inside, some fell off before I got the rivets tight, so  :fp
I then put the lock in and attached the weather STrip on the lip

I cleaned of all the masking tape residue and all I have left to do is when I visit mum using her hot glue gun seal the joins then decide on the colour to paint it, then fit it to STranger.
 These are all the items I used,plus a hacksaw blade.  I'm satisfied with my handy work, maybe not Perfect, but neither am I :grin
 :think1 its intereSTing what I do when my meds wont let me  :-((( sleep >:()
I will poST a pic when I have painted and fitted it to STranger. no more 2up for us. ;-*
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
Nice work there Johnny  :clap

(I told you there was lots of STuff in their skip bin)  :thumbs

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
Good job there!  Looks as good as the factory job on the FJR1300 police bike
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
Nice work there Johnny  :clap

(I told you there was lots of STuff in their skip bin)  :thumbs
Abe if I took the car there I would have scored a lot more  :eek :grin
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »
Excellent work Johnny, I'm waiting to see it on the bike.
Cheers,
A.

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »
 :dred11                                 :dred11                             :dred11
 :thumbs and thanx to you Totgas, your poST inspired me to do it.  ++
and I should have it  painted and on in a few dayz so pics soon.
This is how it lQQked when I had it on about 2 yrs ago, I never painted it  before

mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
 :wht11 py
nice work guys
it reminded me to redo mine as Rhonda is of the road for some time.

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
JohnnyYTED,
That's going to look great once it painted up to match the bike.    Nice job.  :thumb
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
I get a real buz when I read about OzSTOC members undertaking these kinds of projects.
Keep up the inspiring work.

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
JohnnyYTED,
That's going to look great once it painted up to match the bike.    Nice job.  :thumb
:fp it aint gunna be red  ;-* but it will match the newly painted blinker cowls
 juST waiting for the paint to dry and I'll be putting it on,  another evening playing with STranger  :thumbs
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
 :dred11                                         :dred11                        :dred11
STranger's
 :law new lQQk he's painted and re dressed back in his work  gettup  8) but he's retired from the  :cop force.

:thumb I took STranger out for his laST chance to pick up a hitch hiker  :crackup thats when I saw  single on Appin Rd,
I then went home and I painted the pod conversion Charcoal hammered metal 3 coats and 2 coats clear  :eek and my front blinkers cowls. :thumb this is the one I plaSTic welded and filled after FarFailure #30  :thumbs
  :thumbs then I removed my top box twin seat grabs,and seat catch lock,  fitted the solo seat mounting plate,fitted in the catch and cable, I also made sure I reconnected an Earth wire :grin,coz I made that error when I firST went back to solo in 2008 >:():thumbs then its was time to put the SOLO COWL back over STrangers red rear end, and my FarRiders sticker,  :fp:clap :hatwave
 :runyay :runyay :runyay :runyay
 now I had to put the Sheepskin back on the solo seat and put it on. All done,,  :fp :OldMan :think1 I better pit the topbox back on :|||| then take the pics. Now that I have finished and this poST is done. its time to go for a
teST ride
:runyay :hatwave :rockon :clap ++ ;-*

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:06:58 PM by johnnyYTED »
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
Boy oh boy Johnny, she doesn't look like the bike we worked on, great job :thumb3

Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
Boy oh boy Johnny, she doesn't look like the bike we worked on, great job :thumb3

:well :well :fp SHE :crackup :crackup
STranger is a HE, my bold and STrong STeed
 :nahnah  :thumb :thumb :thumb
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732

Offline johnnyYTED

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
 :dred11                         :dred11                        :dred11
   :grin after a short 50k's teSTride  :think1  :think1 :think1 my next thing is to seal up the bottom to make it more secure inside.  ;-*

:popcorn ++
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732