Author Topic: Topbox Problems  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Topbox Problems
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
When carrying out some recent work on my bike (removing the topbox and associated plate I noticed that all was not well - plastic wise

This was what I was presented with on both sides of my pillion seat. A crack 50% of the way through both sides.
Now I believe this was caused by two factors working against me 1) the weight that I regularly carry in my topbox (approx 10kgs) and 2) the amount of bounce that the topbox experiences.
Whilst the topbox was mounted correctly I always had concern that the mount was on top of the rear grab rails and as such was "sitting on rubber". This in my opinion results in a flexing of the topbox. - This had been pointed out to me by other riders travelling behind me.

So here is how I fixed it - not cosmetically great, but structurally sound.
I applied a small amount of epoxy cement to the cracks.
I then fashioned two small "L" brackets out of metal and pop riveted the brackets to the underside of the cracks.

I let you know how it stands up over time.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Topbox Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
I found loose bolts on mine that did not help flexing, plus the small issue of the left hand rear sub frame frame rail being broken through - not an uncommon problem so have a look once in a while.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others