Author Topic: Diesel's SS1600 Iron Butt attempt...  (Read 12681 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Diesel's SS1600 Iron Butt attempt...
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
I had a go at a SS1600 over the weekend of 17 September.

Planning took weeks, I explored 5 different routes and gradually eliminated them in favour of the final one (map below) for various reasons such as fuel availability and opening hours of non-24hr servos, general route levels of difficulty etc etc.

Absolutely ACED the weather! Dunno how – it just worked this time!

Settled upon this route:

Here is the plan:

If I left about 5.00am and stuck to the plan – all things should work beautifully.

For instance – heading north to Gympie just as the sun peaked over the horizon gave a lovely sunrise, and then a course change to the west put the sun to my back – good for eyes, good for seeing – less fatigue!

Then, the north westerly ride to Springsure whilst the sun was overhead, north for 80 clicks while it was getting lower, the eastbound from Emerald as is set at my back.
Having to look into sunlight, putting up with heat/cold, being uncomfortable in any way, or simply being distracted by anything annoying are all factors that make you less fresh and more fatigued. It was this ethos with which I planned the ride. I also didn’t want to be out west during ‘roo’ times of the day – so I tried to get back on the Bruce Hwy around the traditionally worst times.

Here is a shot of the sunrise:

Fellow FarRider (#23) and accomplished IBA Member #30,435 (and mate), Gadget asked if he could join me for the blast, offering to be my start/finish witness into the package. That was great (having your own JP personally witness you wasn’t too bad a thing).

We agreed about some of the contingencies – allowing for a 2nd bike/person in certain instances such as our levels of stamina, fatigue, capabilities - he is a diabetic and a nightshift worker; if HE broke down,  got a flat or simply failed to proceed; AND his lovely Beemer needs to drink sooner than the ST, so my fuel stops were longer than he would have planned for himself. Then I thought – he’s a FarRider and Ironbutt Member! Rob’s put up with more than I could throw at him!   :-p

I got used to this site a lot through the day:

Anyways, as the miles clicked over, everything went perfectly. Each fuel or rest stop I was a few minutes ahead of schedule, and that was comforting.
Apart from an emu that wanted to join me on the bike, there were no real dramas to report. Temps went from 7* in the morning to 32* during the day/arvo. Plenty of hydration was the answer to combat the heat. I gave a thought to the Special “K’s” SS1600 in 42* temps and wondered how they got through it? You can notice a 1 degree temp change in the weather on the bike – let alone 10 more degrees than the heat we were feeling! – Well done guys.

Great run right through to planned rest at Calliope. It is quite frustrating sitting on 100km/h on roads that are begging you to do 130+ on them! But dem’s da rules!

Checked into the IBA Hotel:

Then it was time for the last 370kms. This is where it changed a fair bit for me. I’d put on all the warmth layers, and headed off. The EXTRA vigilance required at night from oncoming traffic headlights, wildlife and the cold – together with already have ridden 1300 clicks this day made the last (particularly 200kms) very challenging.

I signalled to rob a couple of times that I was pulling over for a break, stretch and re-vitalise.

My body was telling me now it had been asked a lot of for 20+hours. Aches and pains were beginning in my lower back and neck, I was cold and then, to top it off – Rick Astley came through the earphones from the MP3 player!

I  had to get one last corner docket 95 clicks from the finish. We tried to warm up a little with some amazing coffees Rob had in a can that warm up once you push the button on the base of the can!

Anyway – one more stint to go and plenty of time to do it in.

Finally arrived at the end point at Kybong – let out a cheer, got the all important end docket and thawed out again inside the food hall facilities. Rob and I were in great nick considering. I spent 30 mins there and felt good enough to ride back down to Caboolture to home and a great, hot shower.

Things that helped me accomplished this ride:
Cruise control – it enabled me to move around a lot on the bike and not tether my hand to the handlebar for 22hrs;
Highway wings – at 6’4” my knees get fairly bent to res on the footpegs – the highway wings offer me a stretch and half a dozen new positions to while away the kilometres;
Easily accessible drink, food, accessories – self explanatory;
A good ride plan that takes a lot into consideration; and

Help and support from a lot of friends on the FarRiders site and the OzSTOC site.

Now for all that paperwork! Special thanks to Gadget for.... you know.

Thanks for reading.

Diesel.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:57:22 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: Diesel's SS1600 Iron Butt attempt...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Wholy Moly, dude, nice job...My arse hurts just reading this post

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
Well done on a well planned ride  :)
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

rendog

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
Rick Astley  :P
1600kms and all I get from reading your post is Rick *&^*^% Astley.
hahahahahaha  ::)
Anyway - that's some of my favourite country in Qld, between Biloela & Childers.
Goes without saying glad you made it back in one piece.
Props to Diesel.  8)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »
Excellent planning that took into account the sun-in-the-face problem.
Glad the Emu didn't manage to jump on board.  They make a lumpy/boney pillion I would imagine.
Congrats again on an interesting ride report and on "doing the distance". 
Just don't do anything bigger while some of us try to catch up with you!  :)

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
Good on ya Diesel!   What a great ride! And very well planned out..............time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted!

I really would have liked to have done that ride with you. You were lucky to have found a picnic table (bed) to stretch your 6'4''frame on ol' buddy!  I'm not into far rides in Tassie as there are very few straight roads to travel on, which makes the riding a little more strenuous with all the twists and turns. My longest ride in any day was 1157kls when I picked up my bike in Brisbane & headed back home to Tassie (860kls the following day). I did that ride without any preplanned stoppages etc.....just get up and go, headed in the right direction. I know I could ride much further without too much problem as I don't usually have a need to stop too often, provided I don't drink too much fluid that is, but not on Tassie roads thank you very much!

Anyway mate................congratulations and well done!!  :D
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

terrydj

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »
Mate well done. That first really big one is just as bad as the last really big one if you have a time limit to pace yourself by.
Just had the phone call and it looks like Sunday/Monday I'm off up to Saraji (Coal Mines). Only a quick 1000 kays up the road. That's kind inland a few hours out west and between Rockhampton and Mackay. So maybe missing till well after Christmas.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
Thanks folks for all the well wishes. It was amongst the funnest 'hard work' I've done.

These STs are one hell of an endurance riding weapon! But y'all knew that.

Cheers, Diesel

PS Terry - That's not far from Young Galah is it?     8)

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Terry, we will have to call in and say hello!

As for distance riding the ST is always up for it, I have my doubts about the rider..The step up from 1000 to 1200kms a day to 1600 is bigger than it seems.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »
Diesel well done on completing the SS buddy.  Great feeling when you complete your plan.  Having Rob there would have been great also to help.  Now when you submit you're paperwork you just have to wait months to see how it goes, because they are a little behind. 

Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

John Meara

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:08:31 AM »
Very good.  Will have to chat about doing this at some stage.

Offline nickj

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
Nice report Diesel

No pics of the '16 tho....

Great planning too, not just the route, but the company too.

20+hrs in the saddle is a long time tho.....

Nick
{'95 Candy ST1100S}
Red 2000 Varadero

terrydj

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Mate
Thanks folks for all the well wishes. It was amongst the funnest 'hard work' I've done.

These STs are one hell of an endurance riding weapon! But y'all knew that.

Cheers, Diesel

PS Terry - That's not far from Young Galah is it?     8)

Mate its about 3 hours away.