Author Topic: Mike Martins ST1100 Maintenance Tips http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/ST_Mai  (Read 2388 times)

Kev

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:01:13 PM by Kev »

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
Thanks Kev.  Will be handy.

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
This was very handy, thanks for the link. I have had the 'coolant cologne' for about a month although there was no drips on ground and the bike only used a tiny amount of coolant. When checking oil one day I discovered a green trail coming down the small coolant return hose on the right head. Thinking the worst (ie blown head gasket) I even though about trading in on a 1300. The change over price was too much , so I decided to tackle the job myself. On removing the plastics, I discovered that the hoses at the thermostat were leaking and dribbling down between the head casting and belt cover. Hoses tightened and problem solved, or so I thought. Further riding and still had the smell at stops. read all the info I could and decided to take tank out to look at hoses under carbs. On lifting the tank, could see where two streams had been running down the valley, and they were pink with a green line. The bike had pink additive in it when I bought and I flushed and filled with green, so it had been leaking for quite a while. A 6mm ring spanner was purchased and by lifting the rubber flap up was able to get my hand under the carbs and tighten the clamps. Took a while as I could only get a flat at a time on the spanner, but with about 1 1/2 turns have stopped the leaks. Ride today up ranges two up and no sign of leak or smell. Job done.  :thumbsup :bl11