Author Topic: Brisbane G20  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Brisbane G20
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Any of you living near the Brisbane CBD or have to commute close to it are probably aware of the extraordinary lengths the Government is going to for this conference.
Apart from putting a cement wall around the delegates hotel I have also fallen victim to the associated hysteria.

Anyone that knows my bike will understand the following.

I arrived home this week to find a Highway Patrol car parked in my driveway. First let me say that the Officers were completely professional and approachable and at no time did I feel threatened or intimidated.
The Snr Sargent informed me that I, or more correctly my bike had been deemed a security risk for the G20 as it could easily be passed off as a Police bike. Well it is an ex-Police bike. This had been confirmed by the District Super as even he pulled over recently to let me pass  :cop
What was even more disturbing the Police had carried out a full background check on me and knew when I worked, the time I left for work in the morning and the time I arrived home. Furthermore they knew where my bike was parked during the day and I strongly suspect they had at least once shadowed me on the way to work.

I then had my bike inspected for any illegal equipment - All AOK  :thumbsup and then I was informed I had two options open to me for the next two months starting on the first of October.

1) I could find alternative transport to and from work. Note: I work in a high target organisation and traverse the exclusion zone daily, or
2) I could continue to ride my bike to work and I will be stopped, detained and possibly be arrested on a daily basis especially closer to the summit date.

I chose Option 1   >:() and will need to find alternative transport until the end of November.
Mind you, this doesn't prevent me riding during that time, just towards the Brisbane CBD.

Of final note was that I certainly wasn't the only rider being warned and they would especially be speaking to any owners of white bikes that looked similar to or identical to the current fleet of Police bikes eg BMW's, Yamaha's and ST1300's

I personally think the whole thing is a beat up by the Government including the raised threat level however I'm not silly enough to antagonise authority for no good reason.

Public transport here I come.............  :hatwave  :hatwave  :hatwave

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:51:48 AM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline nate

• Old skool
Re: Brisbane G20
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
Ouch! I travel the exclusion zone daily too, but look less like a police bike as he's black. That's pretty intense the lengths they are going to with this. Sort of understandable though considering who's coming, but still....  Truthfully, I'm staying well away from the centre of brisbane during the upcoming summit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nate (Nathan)
 :blk11

"You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding."

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
One of those rare occasions where owning a white ST1100/1300 is a pain  |-i

Perhaps you should post a pick of your accessorised ST1100P that put it on the radar  :think1

Otherwise we may have white ST's all over SEQ not seeing the light of day until after G20  :rofl  :rofl

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Hendo

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
I would write a letter to the editor of the largest paper in brisbane, explaining what is happening.

Not because i dont believe in more security for these events, but to bully the government into:

a.     refunding 2+months of registration
b.     paying for a new paintjob for the motorcycle, or
c.     applying some common sense

Are they also going to be doing the same for white commodores as the police also use them and you can buy stickers light bars etc. online.

Just my 2c worth
Hendo

Ex Bikes
SRX250; GT380; GSX-250F; XT-250; ZZR-250;  ST1100 - RIP

Current Bikes
GV650; ST1300

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »
 :eek  I work at the Airport and I suspect they might "caution" me.  Flouro stickers and Flouro vest.  I don't really have any alternative transport. Well not any that is practical.  It would take over an hour and a half to get to work provide the Bus/train/train all linked up on time.

Are they going to pay you for the Public transport costs.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
It's all crazy mate, maybe they're expecting something big to happen... They have expanded the no-go area to stop any protesters getting close... If you ask me, they don't have the right to do it... and curbing people's freedom of expression...
Honda ST1300 | Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Online Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
If they do nothing and some extremist nutter kills some world leaders leading to another post 9/11 apocalypse, then there might be some saying they should have stopped the nutter with some restrictions on movement.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
 :wht11 py
Well i would chosen option 2 and worked hard on compensation or they could supply my alternative transportation at their costs.

Good thing I do not work any more.   :nahnah :butt

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
It is possible that this action is in Totgas ' safety interests, in that, after the last threats from ISIL, all kinds of officials have been targeted. If they did all the background checks, they surely would have dismissed him as a threat to the safety of the world leaders.
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
They should have given him a pass that would have let him through after a quick check...

That would have been easy and efficient though.. cant have that can we..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 01:52:41 PM »
The Snr Sargent informed me that I, or more correctly my bike had been deemed a security risk for the G20 as it could easily be passed off as a Police bike.

Does this mean that any blokes wearing dark suits and dark glasses will be asked to keep away for the week, as they could be passed off as security personnel?
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Only if you have a curly cord going to your left ear, and talk to your watch.. And look around with a shifty look..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
There is a fundamental issue here.  If they don't want people riding around on look alike police bikes. Don't sell 'em.  Simple. 

Did they sell the bike with a caveat saying that it couldn't be used at certain times. I doubt it.  The organisers of the summit (The Government) should compensate you for the loss of use of your bike.

I have the utmost respect for the police but they should not come around threatening a citizen with arrest for doing what is his right to do. 

We can all understand the need for security and that we must all do our part but it would have been much better for him to come around with a voucher for replacement bike hire and politely ask you to surrender your bike for the duration of the conference. 

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
I reiterate that Totgas may have unwittingly made himself a target by assimilating an official. It could have been in his interest to mitigate his traversing through the Danger Zone.
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »
If they have already checked him out, they'd know he is safe, they could give him a security pass (or Sticker for his bike) , and his continuous passing in and out of the Zone (a massive 2 times a day), could make it look like there is a bigger police presence then there is and actually help deter some potential nutter.

I've had people pull over and let me pass and I'm on a blue bike.  Are they going to ban all STs, BMWs and Yamahas?
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
What about white, pale blue, silver Falcons and dunny doors, or anything that could possibly be an unmarked car
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Nigel

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Unfortunately, with whats gone on over the past few weeks the G20 will, sorry, is RED HOT.  AFP don`t give a rats "a" bout our minor concerns,as a citizen as they are there to do a job, full stop. And they will do it to the best of their ability. All under Govt` orders of course. What really concerns is the loss of our privacy which Totgas has experienced first hand. There will be no compensation offered, just stay away from where the action is! Hard but true. Remember they basically have a blank canvas, come security,with anti terrorism laws about to be legislated on, power will overtake privacy, so don't mess with them. Yes Sir No Sir Three Bags Full Sir........................... :eek.. :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline Bikebear

• Legendary Member
  • Livin' it up in FNQ..
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
White bike, coloured panels, light on a pole on the rear.. yup I guess it could be mistaken for a police bike. As for unmarked cars, they would have to put every vehicle off the road as there are all sorts from Mitsubishi Evos, Commodores, Falcons, Camrys, 4x4 tradies utes etc. etc. in use in Queensland, all sorts of colours shapes and sizes.

I wouldn't be happy if it was me getting put off the road.  Still I guess there will be those rent a crowd protestors who will target anything that looks like a police vehicle and it may be safer to not be riding it around.
Craig..
STOC #8215
UC #42145
SCA#2478

Gold '99 ST1100A (Golden Brown), Black '04 VT750, Red '15 1800 Valkyrie (Hildr), Black '08 DN01

"Golden Brown finer temptress, Never a frown with Golden Brown"

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
my son is on duty there, orders shoot to kill

Offline Couch

• Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
I'm so happy to be living in Tassie!!!! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
my son is on duty there, orders shoot to kill

Probably not a good idea to ride near there with a full beard and a copy of the koran in your hand then.

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »
They should have given him a pass that would have let him through after a quick check...

That would have been easy and efficient though.. cant have that can we..

And then OP totgas has to deal with the security of that pass...maybe becomes a target because of that pass and gets dead for the sake of a silly bit of paper.

Instead of having a moan about your personal restrictions how about having a think about your personal safety after all joeraghead from the burbs isn't going to take much time to check out if you are a copper or just some guy that looks like a copper when all he wants is your head on a stick.
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »
 :wht11 :law :cop :law :cop :law :cop :law
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline jack

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
maybe you should of explained to the the boys in blue that this is the transport that aids you to employment and in turn helps keep the economy flowing and not to mention the input of taxes that not only pay there wages, but is also helping pay for hosting the G20. isnt that what the G20 is about controlling the credit bubble , and other secret stuff  :rofl

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
Surely if they know Totgas's address, place of work, time of transit and all that, then they know his rego number as well!  There's no need for a pass, his bike is clearly identified.

Or could they issue big fluorescent stickers saying "NOT A POLICE BIKE!"

I like riding a white ST1100PY, especially when I see a car coming down a side road and I get to guess when their bonnet will dip as they suddenly see what they think is a Police bike and brake.  I'll take those extra microseconds that gives me, the ST1100PY really is visible.  There's one guy at the local Suzuki/Yamaha agents who complains that he sees me around town all the time and still thinks I'm Police bike for a moment or two.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.