Honda ST1300 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1300

Odd wear on my front tyre.

<< < (2/2)

ruSTynutz:
I'm currently running 44psi in the front, 46psi in the rear...
I think some of the initial abnormal wear (front & rear) was due to the dodgy tyre pressure gauge I'd been using which, after checking with other tyre gauges, was found to be overstating pressures by a couple of psi.

My advice is to buy a decent gauge and certainly don't rely on the gauges at your typical petrol station as they can be notoriously inaccurate...  :thumbs

Skip:
I'm another advocate for running higher pressures than is recommended. It was this very topic that saw me discover the old Yahoo ST group back in 2009ish. Scalloping was something I had not experienced on any of my previous bikes. I think the OEM's were Bridgestones and the front was changed at 8k and the rear at 12k with terrible scalloping. Through an excellent explanation from a member I then used to run 45-46 in both front and rear. The best I got was 28k out of a set of Michelin PR4's.

Jdbiker:
Another thing to consider when adjusting tire pressures is the combined weight of rider, pillion, cargo any accessories.

Biggles:

--- Quote from: StinkyPete on March 27, 2023, 05:53:46 AM ---I got caught on a long tour with tyres that had worn out in the centre (still lots of trread away from the middle) and I still had a few thousand km to go before I could get them changed.    I dropped the pressures by about 4psi, and the centre wear almost astopped and the sides scalloped really badly, but they got me where I needed to go.   The chap that changed the tyres commented that wear indicated  that I'd been running pressures that were low, so I told him the story.

The lesson for me was that low tyre pressures contribute to severe scalloping on the sides, so I'd suggest bumping up your pressures.  From memory a lot of the ST folk are running with 42 and 44 psi.

--- End quote ---

Yeah but...

Doesn't that lead to early tyre centre wearing?  I can easily visualise why it would reduce scalloping, but mine tend to go in the centre first, using the common 42/42 (290kpa).  I do get mild scalloping.  I frequently have a pillion on the ST, usually Mrs Biggles.

ruSTynutz:

--- Quote from: Jdbiker on March 28, 2023, 06:10:04 PM ---Another thing to consider when adjusting tire pressures is the combined weight of rider, pillion, cargo any accessories.

--- End quote ---

Good point, JD!  :thumbs

Which is why from day one I'd ran 44psi in the rear but due to my dodgy gauge I was probably actually only running 42-ish which, with Sue on the back along with my not inconsiderable weight would have meant we were running the tyre under-inflated...  :||||

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version