No Parking Zone! > Off Topic, Off Colour, and non-motorcycle related

Tesla Autopilot Crashes into Motorcycle Riders - Why?

(1/6) > >>

Shiney:
Here is an interesting video I came across by FortNine (He does amazing motorcycle videos, I recommend his YouTube channel)

Anyway there is apparently some concern with the Tesla "autopilot" not being able to correctly judge how far away motorcycles are at night  :eek

https://youtu.be/yRdzIs4FJJg

Cheers
Shiney

Diesel:
I saw a doco a while ago where if a Tesla was boxed in by trucks on 3 sides and a motorcycle on the 4th, it will turn in to the motorcycle as the best option to protect its occupants in a crash avoidance scenario.  Hmmmm.  :angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon

StinkyPete:
Let's not forget that this kind of technology are AIDS to driving.    What's the bloody driver doing if he's rear ended a motorcycle.  I say blame the driver and not the technology.

NTRebel:
The driver is either on their phone or playing their computer games anything that gets them out of concentrating on driving which is no different to how they drive normal cars.

Gadget:
Tesla Autopilot is just Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). It used to rely on radar, and now relies on stereo vision and is proving more reliable.

My VW Golf ACC (radar basef) can make the same mistake with motorcycles which is why it gets a specific mention in the manual.

The ACC works very well and even though I use it a lot, I'm still vigulent.

Occasionally it detects the car in the right turning lane as a hazard and brakes, but I'd rather it was over cautious than not. I just push gently on the throttle and we continue on.

I remember all the complaints on how ABS braking was going to kill us all too.

Is an additional and very useful safety feature, as it reduces driver fatigue. Especially in stop/start traffic. It also frees up driver attention time to watch for hazards.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version