Author Topic: How do you earn your living?  (Read 18912 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: How do you earn your living?
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
Well I've had a fairly mundane existence started work in '69 and had a career as
Banker
Soldier (infantry Signals)
Systems Analyst/Call Centre Systems Manager (was instrumental in putting the first phone answering system in front of the Call centre operators, something I now regret.. "press 1 for an operator") and for the last 14 years working in Local Government as a .NET developer writing Software applications for the Local Shire Council and DBA (SQL server).
oh and I also write apps for Android devices and Web services.

So many clever techie people in here.

No wonder they all ride STs! 
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Hendo

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
Seems to be a lot of military people as well. ;-*
Hendo

Ex Bikes
SRX250; GT380; GSX-250F; XT-250; ZZR-250;  ST1100 - RIP

Current Bikes
GV650; ST1300

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
well here goes my little story...

My intrest in bikes started young....I had 50cc - 500cc motorbikes from the age of 12-21 and always performed my own servicing and repairs myself.
After graduating high school in Israel, I was drafted into IDF (israel Defence Forces)
Armored Corps, Tank commander, war room seargant, rank on discharge Lt.
After discharge, left for NY USA, bought a used CB750SC Nighthawk in Coloarado, and rode to L.A. in Feb (winter!) then relocated to L.A. Ca. USA
Employed at "Culver City Honda Motorcycles" L.A. Ca. worked as mechanic.
USA optical lab technician
USA optical dispensser
USA Contact lens practitioner
returned to Israel, completed Optometry degree, Optometrist self employed, 13 years in Israel.
drafted to IDF reservist 13 years, 45 days per year, serving in medical corp mostly as optometrist and last year of service as bereavment officer.
Relocated to Australia with family 13 years ago, working in Vic. Melbourne as an optometrist since.

Well, thats my very boring CV in 9 sentences...
great to read what other St Owners have done or doing at present.
regards
Zev

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:52:39 AM by zevk »
Zev

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »
Haven't read a boring one yet, yours included, zevk.   :thumbs
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Chatty

• First ST and loving it!
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
At the moment I am an out of work civil and building project manager.

When I am in work, that means that I build things.  Some of the notable things I have built have been:

A 50km long sealed road on Groote Eylandt NT (you might want to Google that) - and yes, there was one road bike on the island - a HD that the owner rode 15km down a straight road to work and 15km back the same straight road home every day.
A float glass plant in Ingleburn, NSW (float glass is high quality architectural glass - what your windows are made from)
Different sorts of factories and warehouses
A brace of schools here in Adelaide, including two of the new Super Schools
Some nursing homes (hopefully I don't wind up in one any time soon)
Civil works (concrete and such) for a gas compressor plant expansion at Ballera Qld (you might want to Google that too) - gas compressors compress the gas (duh) extracted from the oil and gas wells so they can shove more gas down the pipeline to Moomba and then eventually to your house
Student accommodation for a university college
Curtain walls on high rise buildings (the curtain wall is the glass and aluminium windows on the outside of the building)
Retaining walls on some of the big highway upgrades in NSW and even around the Olympic stadium
All sorts of railway things, like new tracks, electrification (the wires that provide power to the trains), tunnel upgrades, stations, bridges and even a freight terminal that never operated
Upgraded a rail line for hauling coal out from Ohai to Invercargill NZ - famous for the world's fastest Indian (you might need to Google Ohain and Invercargill as well) - you might be surprised to know that there at least 3 "World's Fastest Indian"s in Invercargill and asking about the credentials for any of them can be dangerous to your health

As the project manager it is my job to plan the project, make sure that all the procurement gets done at the right price, deal with the client day-to-day, monitor the costs and program (timetable), prepare monthly reports for management, manage the design team, administer the head contract and the subcontracts with the suppliers, have fortnightly meetings with the client, prepare and submit claims requesting payment to the client, assess and approve invoices from the suppliers, make sure the work complies with the specification and then hand the completed project over to the client.  And I have to make sure all this happens within the safety guidelines and to the required quality.  On remote projects I also have to oversee the camp accommodation and meals and flights for everyone to get home and to work.
To help me with this, I might have administrators, project engineers, site supervisors, safety officers and foremen - depending on the project I could have as few a 2 or 3 staff up to 20 or more working directly for me.

Along the way I have had a bucket load of fun, seen some things that you wouldn't believe and met all sorts of politicians.  From my experiences, politicians are overpaid, unless you think that vain bimbos are worth a lot of money.  ;-*

Chatty
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »
All posts not relating to the topic, and political comments have been removed. Keep on topic please people.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Chatty

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »
Well, having been out of work for a while now, I'm taking control of my life once again.  :thumbs

Trish and I are starting a new business - Adelaide Hospitality & Catering which, as you might guess, will provide catering services in the greater Adelaide area.  A big move for us at our age, but one we felt we needed to do.

The downside is that most of our work will be at night and on weekends, so group rides, RTEs and get-togethers are going to be next to impossible for a while...  :cuss

Have a look at our website at www.ahcatering.com.au.
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
Have a look at our website at www.ahcatering.com.au.

Oh Yum spit roast

Offline Chatty

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
Did nearly 25 years working for an international oil company.  Sales Engineer, Technical Engineer then Technical Manager in NZ, then worked ten years in the company's International Technical Centre in Sydney doing product development, technical writing and lubrication training throughout Africa, Middle East and Asia.  The job took me to South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tansania, Kenya, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, China, Phillipines, Taiwan and Japan.

In all, including our Overseas Experience trip when younger, I've been to over 40 different countries - not counting those airports just passed through to get somewhere else.

I was on this oil company's mining support team (got to go 2.7 km underground in a gold mine in South Africa) and was their go to person for filtration and recycling.  When I was retrenched I did some years work for myself then saw my current job advertised, thought "that's written just for me".  I now work out of Mackay as a Sales Engineer selling industrial filtration equipment.  I have just started delivering twenty something filtration units to be fitted to three draglines on one of the coal mines up in the Bowen Basin.  These draglines weigh 3500 tonnes each, and have a bucket load of well over a hundred tonnes.  Boys love big toys!
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
These draglines weigh 3500 tonnes each, and have a bucket load of well over a hundred tonnes.  Boys love big toys!

Had the pleasure of getting inside one of these at Dysart.
They're like the inside of a house.  The switching room is full of microwave oven sized relays that clatter and bang like an ancient typewriter on steroids.  One man sits at the controls swinging that dragline bucket around like a tin on a string.

Offline gibbo57

• ST Legend
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Hi All,
   Currently on Vet Affairs pension semi retired.   Completed just over 35 years in the Army, joined at 17.   After recruit training I went to Infantry (Singleton) where I live now, ex wife from here plus eldest son still lives here.   Spent 7 years in the 1st Battalion based in Townsville and was employed as a section commander and a sniper.   After completing the cadre course I was posted over to the west with the SASR.   After 10 years I was posted to the Infantry Centre here in Singleton as a Sniper Supervisor at Small Arms Wing.   Completed 2 years in Singleton then back over to the west.   Had exchange duties with several of our allies including the UK, Germany, NZ, PNG, Singapore, Canada and the good old USA.   After another 7 years with the Regiment I was posted to 2 Commando as ARA cadre staff.   Then back over to the west again and finally took retirement in 2009 and moved back to Singleton.
   I have served in several peace keeping campaigns and completed 16 operational deployments to various parts of the world.   I currently work for a Private Military Contractor for three months of every year in Afghanistan and command a PSD (Personal Security Detail) for the company, I have been doing this since my retirement.   Getting to old for it, as it's a much younger man's game now, so I completed my last deployment in March of this year, bought the ST and here I am.
Cheers
 :wht11
Gibbo (Dave)
Current: 1995 1100P ex NSW Police
Sold:
2000 BMW R1100RT
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1987 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Suzuki GSX 750
1977 Yamaha TX650
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbucket Triple

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »
Hi All,
   Currently on Vet Affairs pension semi retired.   Completed just over 35 years in the Army, joined at 17.   After recruit training I went to Infantry (Singleton) where I live now, ex wife from here plus eldest son still lives here.   Spent 7 years in the 1st Battalion based in Townsville and was employed as a section commander and a sniper.   After completing the cadre course I was posted over to the west with the SASR.   After 10 years I was posted to the Infantry Centre here in Singleton as a Sniper Supervisor at Small Arms Wing.   Completed 2 years in Singleton then back over to the west.   Had exchange duties with several of our allies including the UK, Germany, NZ, PNG, Singapore, Canada and the good old USA.   After another 7 years with the Regiment I was posted to 2 Commando as ARA cadre staff.   Then back over to the west again and finally took retirement in 2009 and moved back to Singleton.
   I have served in several peace keeping campaigns and completed 16 operational deployments to various parts of the world.   I currently work for a Private Military Contractor for three months of every year in Afghanistan and command a PSD (Personal Security Detail) for the company, I have been doing this since my retirement.   Getting to old for it, as it's a much younger man's game now, so I completed my last deployment in March of this year, bought the ST and here I am.
Cheers
 :wht11

:eek

Well... I'll just shut up about my awesome 616.07 yard sniper shot on Battlefield 4 on my playstation then...  :clap

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/marcusstringer/media/snipe_zps53085425.mp4.html

Offline Bimble

• 2008 Red ST1300A
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Well my story is far more mundane that many here,
  • 10 years in the Aust Army straight out of high school;
  • Tried everything from Public Service through to door-to-door insurance sales  :fp;
  • Owned and operated a commercial cleaning business cleaning everything from a rum distillery to child care centres and local shopping centres;
  • Worked FIFO in the Pilbara with the security industry for many years;
  • Hung around long enough to end up as a Project Manager in the same field before growing weary of the FIFO lifestyle;
  • Now working as a Safety and Incident Manager in the Healthcare industry.
Cheers,

Bimble (Jim).

I'm not slow, I'm just enjoying the journey.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
Free Loader :law

Ciao the can :-)