Author Topic: How do you earn your living?  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
How do you earn your living?
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
Well guys, I asked this question of some of the assembled motley crew on Saturday and got such a wide range of answers from such a small number that it piqued my interest, so I'll put the question out to the assembled members;

"What do you, or did you, do to make a living?"

I'll start the ball rolling. I work for Boeing Defence Australia as a Senior Systems Design Engineer. I manage a small team of guys whose job it is to test aircraft for Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (commonly known as E3). In other words we are looking for the effects of electrical or electronic interference between systems in the aircraft, or for interference from the outside world on the systems in the aircraft. This type of interference can be as minor as noises in headsets, like the noises you hear on the radio when you turn on your electric razor, right up to complete disruption of flight control or navigation systems with the obvious accompanying catastrophic results.

If we find any such problems we then have to make design changes to remove the cause or the effect of the interference, or mitigate it by shielding of cables or systems, or specifying when things can or cannot be used in the aircraft.

I have worked on aircraft since I joined the British RAF in 1968, and have done so in the UK, in the Middle East, in the USA and now here in Australia (for the last 25 years or so). Currently I work on the RAAF Wedgetail AEW&C aircraft, but before that I worked on the F-111 which was truly an awesome piece of machinery! I have no doubt that I will continue to work on aircraft until I either die or retire, which ever comes first!

So what do you guys do, or did you, do to earn a crust? I'm fascinated to find out what sort of diversity we have in the membership of this august group of like-minded individuals.

Cheers

Whizz
 :13Candy
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:55:31 PM by Whizz »
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: How do you earn your living?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:48:54 PM »
I guess most of my various working positions were automotive. Worked in the press shop at Chrysler in Adelaide when I was 18 and the first company to pay me adult rates at that age.  Not to forget GM_H at Elizabeth as well. Also Mitsubishi (was Chrysler plant) where after a week I went from press operator to die setter)
I put in 17 years for a component supplier to mainly Holdens but also non-automotive firms as well. Mainly as a press opertor/die setter and added forklift, overhead crane, leading hand, supervisor (reluctantly) quality control, warehouse duties.

After the production of the coupe (our Monaro) to the states ceased I took long service leave and found other work and more money in Port Hedland, WA. Actually my bro in law said he had work for me if I got up there. March 2007 saw me go to Pt. Hedland via Kwinana. Not the shortest route but my sis lives there.

Work with bro in law fell through as contract got cancelled so went to One Steel and worked in warehouse. Took on Coles Express as a second evening job a couple nights a week and weekends. Left One Steel Christmas 2007 and stayed with Coles Express working 6 afternoons (8 hour days on casual rates) a week. Also worked in Coles supermarket two or three mornings a week.

Transferred to Karratha June 2008 and promoted to Assistant Manager in August 2008. Stayed there until end of October 2010 and moved back to SA.

Was a bad move as far as work is concerned but with parents in mid 70's we came back to be a little closer (300kms away as opposed to 4000kms).
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
I did 22 Yrs as an RAAF Elecfitter/ Avionics tech, and was made redundant in 93, so moved to the West. I work as an Avtech for a contractor maintaining PC9 Training aircraft for the RAAF, been here for 19 years.

I dont work on the aircraft so much these days, but more on the support side. I look after electrical support equipment (Gen sets, Hydraulic rigs etc), do testing tagging of 240V 1 and 3 phase equipment, calibration of test equipment, computer repairs. Also maintained a $2000000 Hawk simulator (Jet training aircraft) , and computerised training for PC9 (sort of a simulator).

At home, I tinker with computers, electronics, and making stuff (like a trailer to tow behind the bike)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
I'm a Secret Service agent working for MI5 and my work is top secret :o..............far too secret in fact to post on this site :-(((.

I might not have a licence to kill >:(), but I do have a licence to ride :grin......so that's what I do whenever I get the time! :runyay
 :wht13
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:53:54 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
Grew up on a farm 20 miles from Tamworth, my dad pushed me into an apprenticeship as an Aircraft Sheetmetal Worker (sheety) and I stayed there for 14.9 years until marrage broke up and I left to look after my kids then aged 5 and 2. Started a business contracting with a small Kubota tractor for 8 years,  then went back to help my dad on our farm, my dad died in 2000 and farm was sold, worked for the next door neighbours until arthritis forced early retirement in 2011.   :bl11

Offline Couch

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
And smiting those who misbehave! :thumb

At home, I tinker with computers, electronics, and making stuff (like a trailer to tow behind the bike)
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Streak

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
I run our family Business Hip Pocket Workwear & Safety Toowoomba, we have owned it for nearly 2 years, i have been working there about about 18 months now. we supply Workwear, corporate wear, uniforms, signage, boots, embroidery to Toowoomba & the Darling Downs 7 days a week.

before that I Managed a Retravision, was an operational manager for QLD Health, 8 years before that I helped run another family business call the North Gregory Hotel/Motel in Winton Outback Queensland (bike friendly of course) we had articles published in road rider, courier mail, and we where pub of the month in Live to Ride.

I spent a year in England playing cricket at a senior club level as a wicketkeeper/batsmen in South Devon for a team called Stoke Gabriel.

and for the 20 odd years before that i worked on sheep and Cattle Stations throughout QLD, TAS, & NSW

a little diverse, but loved it all just the same
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
My first shot at earning a living was as an English and History teacher in Barraba NSW and then as Subject Master in Bourke.  During that time I acquired a Private Pilot's Licence and flew fairly extensively.  After 9 years as a Chalkie I did my Commercial Pilot's Licence and joined Mission Aviation Fellowship.  I was posted to Elcho Island for 10 months to build hours, then to Wewak in PNG where I flew for the Church and Missions for 8 years from four different bases.  I then went Mercenary and flew with three different companies moving up through the types and spending the last 5 years on Dash 8s.  After 22 years in PNG I shed the wings and bought a Management Rights in Brisbane where I now look after rental properties in a Complex of 41 townhouses with a pool, tennis court and gardens to keep me off the streets. 
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
I spent 20 years working for Shell in the North Sea then stopped working in 2000. After a while I went back to oil & gas travelling the world checking on emergency preparedness for the industry. Got fed up of travelling (spent a little time in Perth WA) and stopped working again when my heart needed a major service in 2004. Got better from that, got bored fishing, walking, riding etc full time and so started working again in civil aviation (first love from when I got my pilot licence in 1969) to sort out emergency preparedness and some other stuff that in this new age needed to be beefed up a bit. Cut that down now to just 3 days a week so that I and my wife who is a primary school teacher and who is also down to 3 days work a week have started putting some bigger mileage on the bike, plus changing grand kid nappies etc.

I feel tired now!
PJ

terrydj

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
Hmmm working for Boeing Defence Australia eh. Just love jobs with a security clearance atached :rofl Got a phone call from them last week offering me a job in the West, or up North or in bloody Canberra. That is if I can get a security clearance??? Hmmmm wonder which one it wil be this time?? Could it be Baseline or maybe positive, seem to think that many years ago I worked with a few that had "Positive"but back then it had more of a James Bond name to it :rofl
But back to the quetion asked?
Currently I don't work, but previously have done the Military, production, security, Human services, OH&S, and more recently the mines, but then again why would anyone want to know what I did for crust :think1

-

Negative Vetting Level 2

TOP SECRET (PV)

Positive Vetting

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
Terry, just 'cause I'm nosy.

I've got negative Vet 2 and have had for the last 15 years, and the first time round was a monstrous pain, having to remember everyone I'd ever worked with for the previous 10 years!, Considering that I worked in the Middle East on a military contract, the question about "have you ever had any contact with military officers of a foreign government" was a bit hard to answer in the space provided!!

Clearances at the moment are taking about 9-12 months to obtain!

Cheers
Whizz
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
 :wht11 py
Shiite this could be a bit long winded
Brought on farms in NZ and my work life began as an apprentice Joiner, then and then and then

Labourer Construction sites
stores
House painting
Cook
Baker (sweets condiments)
Carpenter
panel beating and spray painting
Furniture Polisher
Fireman
Mechanical assistant and grease monkey
Raced speedway on weekends
Steel Fixer
Apple Cannery
Barmen
Chippie in Sand mining on Straddie
Domino Delivery driver at 50
Cert 2 in business management (Myob accounting)
Self taught Small engine mechanic
Then Cert 2 in engineering CNC programming
CNC work for transformers + night school for Autocad
Then the final and best Job ever as a Draughtsman.
Unfortunately Severe Cerviical Spondyilosis and post traumatic stress syndrome put an end to my working life, Thank goodness for income protection Insurance. 

Ie Jack  of all trades and now master of my own destiny

whew thats that, But there might have been an odd one or 3 that i missed due to a senior moment.  :crazy  :think1 :think1 :beer

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Couch

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
Well, there's been some very interesting responses posted by members so in all seriousness I'll give an honest response to my past working life. :)

I began in work aged 14 in the printing industry in Melbourne and was apprenticed as a letterpress machinest. After completing a 5 year apprenticeship I continued working in the industry as a colour printer, at the same time completing advanced courses in Photo Lithography, Camera Operation, Plate Making etc. In 1968 I made a move to Queensland and spent the next forty years in the industry in Brisbane, the only difference being that I moved in to sales. I was a Sales Representative for Simpson Halligan & co, who was Brisbane's largest colour printer at the time, and stayed with them for 11 years, until I was offered a position as Sales Manager for Screen Offset Printing, an up and coming opposition company, which fortunately for me I accepted. After working with them for 18 months I was invited to buy shares in the company, which I did, and was made Sales Director. We built the company up to be the largest privately owned, and most successful colour printing co in Queensland, and I held that position for 19 years before a marriage breakup forced me in to a position of having to sell my shareholding to cash up. Although I was asked to stay on as Sales Manager I chose not to, and joined another colour printer who was up and coming at the time. After being with them for a few months I was made General Manager and brought a few shares in the company. I held that position for almost 6 years until a few disagreements about cash flow with management made me realise I was wasting my time staying on, so I resigned.
I joined yet another large company as Sales Manager and stayed with them for 5 years until I retired when we moved to Tasmania for my wife's health. I decision I've never regretted. All in all I spent 54 years in the printing industry........no where near as exciting as flying around in planes or working in some of the many interesting occupations some other members have worked in. Although my years in sales brought me in to contact with many interesting people, particularly those in the advertising industry, graphic designers, artists, writers, etc. The years I spent in sales was very stressful, as our large colour machinery ran 24 hours a day, 6-7 days a week and my job was to keep them running...................I am just sooooooooo pleased to be out of it now!!  :grin

O' I almost forgot..........I built 4 houses over the years as an owner builder, first of all designing them and doing much of the physical work myself. Working with timber, bricks, tiles, paint........I've done it all, and enjoyed what I've done in that respect. I never had a problem selling any of the houses I've built, which were all very different in design.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:09:07 PM by Couch »

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
I did 22 Yrs as an RAAF Elecfitter/ Avionics tech, and was made redundant in 93, so moved to the West. I work as an Avtech for a contractor maintaining PC9 Training aircraft for the RAAF, been here for 19 years.

I dont work on the aircraft so much these days, but more on the support side. I look after electrical support equipment (Gen sets, Hydraulic rigs etc), do testing tagging of 240V 1 and 3 phase equipment, calibration of test equipment, computer repairs. Also maintained a $2000000 Hawk simulator (Jet training aircraft) , and computerised training for PC9 (sort of a simulator).

Brock,

Do you ever go on holidays and if so where do you go?
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

Brock,

Throw some more coal on the fire there, Dave :rofl :rofl :crackup
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
All the places and all the excitingly interesting jobs I've just read makes my time seem a little tame by comparison, but for what it's worth, here goes:
Worked as a Postman (on a push bike);
worked in the family business fitting, selling and retreading tyres;
joined the Army for 6 years and would have stayed in if it didnt involve being away from the family 9 months a year;
Went back into the family business, and took over when Dad died, but the business died with him so I became a coal miner for the next 25 years.
I formally retired, spent a short while in retirement, then became a wheel engineer (bus driver :grin) where I've been since. Being a people person, it suits me perfectly, and I get a kick out it every time I drive.
The small home based business I own and run, came about by accident - I found a need to help me enjoy riding and thought if I can use it others may too, and this has become more of a hobby business, but have met some wonderful and interesting people through it.

Looking back, I now don't think I would change things, as things happen for a reason, but if I had, would I have (met) you guys? Maybe. Maybe not, but I believe I'm the richer for having done so.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
Dave,

Brock,

I have been know to take a holiday occasionally. During my time in Malaysia I went to Phuket, Phuket, Phuket, Singapore, Phuket, Phuket, Bangkok, Phuket, Australia, Phuket.

Recently I have been to Thailand, Thailand (Phuket) Thailand, and in a week Thailand for three weeks...

Here is the location on GooGoo Erf  13°34'00.34" N  99°58'17.41" E

:grin :grin :grin :grin

Well he did ask..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »
Dave,

Here is the location on GooGoo Erf  13°34'00.34" N  99°58'17.41" E

:grin :grin :grin :grin

Well he did ask..

I asked Google, and got this (now I know) :grin:

#Table: J/A+A/450/993/./tablea1.dat (cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr ...
cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-Cat/.../max=431?... - Translate this page
... E| Of|U 06]|Ah Am RAs Ed Em DEs| CR|e_CR| Signi|xpTime|faxis|n ... -61 02 10.9 | 4.83|0.4 | 21.14| 49.11|15.71| 13|07 58 12.85 -61 02 10.28| 2.82|0.3 | 14.41| .... 53 54.42| 0.21|0.05| 5.38|183.08| 9.29| 99|07 58 31.93 -60 53 52.87| 1.22|0.09| ..... 291|07 58 17.41 -60 44 38.18| 0.29|0.05| 5.79|252.64| 2.57| 292|07 59 36.59 ...
【ソフト】DVD販売が縮小、ピーク時の半分以下に 高画質テレビ放送に ...
www.syunkan-news.com/archives/5145267.html - Translate this page
122 : 名刺は切らしておりまして :2012/01/17(火) 13:05:02.19 ID:vqXkMwKv: >>1 BDのレコーダー&記録媒体が安くなれば誰でもBDを買う. 169 : 名刺は切らしており ...
愛媛のラーメン屋について語ろう 12
logsoku.com/thread/toki.2ch.net/.../1302180549/ - Translate this page
2011年4月7日 – 93 : ラーメン大好き@名無しさん : 2011/04/30(土) 09:34:00.34 ..... さん : 2011/05/10(火) 03:12:12.57 ID:9g7WnU/N [1/2回発言]: >>170 ...... 468 : ラーメン大好き@名無しさん : 2011/06/20(月) 06:58:17.41 ...... 775 : ラーメン大好き@名無しさん : 2011/08/06(土) 05:05:44.39 ID:E/s8VYUk [1/1回発言]: 豚太郎は無難杉 ...
【ソフト】DVD販売が縮小、ピーク時の半分以下に 高画質テレビ放送に ...
datlog.net/t/bizplus/1326761327/ - Translate this page
2012年1月17日 – 名刺は切らしておりまして2012/01/17(火) 10:13:17.94ID:vEVEX7Us: VHS復活来るで; 32. ..... 海外みたいに別媒体用にDL出来たりするコード付けれ; 99. ...... 名刺は切らしておりましてsage2012/01/18(水) 02:29:33.34ID:n/WWtsjl: むしろ ..... 名刺は切らしておりまして2012/01/19(木) 15:34:00.34ID:u5VD1kBM: >>407 ...

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Try clicking the map thing on the left column peter... :|||| :|||| :||||
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
13°34'00.34" N  99°58'17.41" E shows me you're going to camp on a track :well

Offline sac468

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
My Turn,

Lets see if I can remember them all

Butchers helper / delivery driver
steel yard worker / welder / dogs body
seasonal work (too many years to count)
Car detailer
store person (ACT Health dept)
store person / furniture deliverer
Adminstration Officer, for the last 9 years have been running the office of a heavy vehicle driver training centre, taking bookings, running the office.
Grandparent, yard cleaner/ mower/dishwasher/housecleaner/taxi driver  :rofl
I think that is all
Shane
Ride to live, Live to Ride
Ulysses; 51798

rendog

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
Paperboy
Rental car cleaner
Rental car wrecker (got my licence)
Plane cleaner (but they wouldn't let me drive those things) >:()
Wanted to serve my country but politics f#$^^# it all up and Australia ended up helping Mugabe get elected   :cuss
Apprentice
Fleet mechanic
Full time student - to support the family I had a few casual jobs as; chicken head remover, sheep fleece cleaner & slaughterhouse boner
Fleet mechanic
Teacher - VET, automotive, metalwork, furniture etc.

Now when I get sick of kids I go back on the tools & when I get sick of night shift I go back to school.  :fp
For the future I look forward to becoming a professional stock market jockey  :thumbs

Offline Couch

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
Woops.....almost forgot.................sold newspapers on the corner, delivered newspapers on my bike, delivered chemist prescriptions on my bike, sold ice cream, drinks & sweets at the local movie theatre at interval, cut lawns and weeded gardens, all while still at school. :)

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:52 AM »
Most of ya sort of know  anyway BUT
helped the milko
apprentice electrician
tradesman 'leco for another 9yrs
Electronics engineer
Electronics Sales (compenents and shit not TV"S  :rofl)
Injured and on compo with rehab therapy for 18months
Turned a "hobby" into a business to work from home  :runyay (see above)
So for the last 10years supplying people with a common interest toys for thier bikes  :thumbs (and loving it )
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline Couch

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
Whoops again.............I almost forgot this one! :crazy...........while working in my day job as a printing machinist in Melbourne in 1966 to 1968, I also worked 2 nights a week for a guy who rented out TVs (black & white)........my job was to convert them from renting, into buying them. I was paid $30.00 for each sale I made, which wasn't bad money back then. The best part of the job was that the company office was next to the Ritz Hotel in Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, and we would spend a little time in there each week enjoying the company of many of the "ladies of the night" who would frequent the Hotel. I should add.....we weren't paying customers :-(((..........just had lots of laughs at some of their stories :crackup...................I met the mother of my beautiful daughter, Samantha, while working for this guy, I must add, not at the Ritz, and she was not one of the "ladies of the night"..........lots of past memories there!!...........looking back, I've had such an interesting life, and wouldn't change any of it!! :)