Author Topic: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey  (Read 13374 times)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: Bodø's Taswegian Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
Enjoy!
Hope the weather is better there than what we're copping here in South Gippsland!

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
I couldn't get the kwaka up here.
Wouldn't have been a "bikes in front of..." because it's a standard sized replica of a whale- might even be a small representative of the species.
Goodonya for fearlessly riding on the wet gravel to snag your milestone location.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Bodø

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 03:27:25 AM »
I don't recall mentioning big things, although I have snapped a few of them.  It would have been a good "where is this?" photo though.

Bodø

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
Day 8 Ride Report

Another relatively short day today.  I've decided to make use of the free washing machine and dryer here before moving on to another place tomorrow.  Today's plan was to check out Port Arthur.

Do Taswegians understand the concept of zip merging?  Many on the mainland sure as hell don't.

I made it to Sorell.  Now where is the port and where is everyone else? 

I didn't cop any sea spray in any direction.  There's a lot of 'necks' in Tasmania.

Not the best on out there but a creative letterbox in Forcett.

I've been meaning to ask someone what this actually means.  Lots of the speed limit signs above 80km/h have this "changing conditions" sign on it.  This one was in Copping.  A car traversing in the opposite direction almost ran into the ditch.  I wonder if that was because they took their eyes off the road wondering what I was doing.

Another one of there signs I have collected as it's the first time I have seen for the Tasmanian devil.

I never knew they had wings.

Both of those were in Murdunna, where I would stop to refuel, have a bite and a walk on the way back.

I had a look at Pirate Bay from Eaglehawk Neck.

I arrived at the Port Arthur historical site at about 0800.  It didn't open until 0900 so I was restricted to taking photos from the outside.

In Nubeena I rode up some random hill so I could turn around and go back to the jetty away from blind corners.  It seemed like a good place to get a wee selfie.

This cow in Premaydena was sitting down so I thought I'd stop and get a photo, only for it to get up and check out what I was doing.  I think they meant business.  It was sitting down when I rode back a few minutes later.

This echidna was at Eaglehawk Neck when I made my way back to Hobart.  It's the first one I've seen in the wild.

This is my last night in Glenorchy.  Tomorrow I load up the donkey and make my way to Swansea.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
Hope the weather is better there than what we're copping here in South Gippsland!

I've just seen the news.
Rain was forecast for here and Port Arthur but I copped a bit of drizzle as I parked up at Port Arthur and it was gone as I left.  Hail is forecast again this evening.  I'm usually in bed before it hits and the bike is under cover so no dramas.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »
Bodo, if that's a cow you saw at Premaydena, I'm prepared to suggest the farmer got seriously carried away with the hormone pellets.
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »
That’s a lot of Bull🤓
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Bodø

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
Day 9 Ride Report

I left my accommodation in Goodwood(not Glenorchy as I first thought) in the dark and headed for Richmond.  I swear, I am convinced every state must have a Richmond.  I have been to five of them now.

I know Williamson said he likes his bridges but I must admit I do too.

That’s a lot of Bull🤓

I saw that at Forcett and thought I need a photo of that.  I traversed the same stretch of road yesterday and didn't see it then.  Knowing I took this photo earlier in the morning seeing Jonathan's comment made me laugh.

Just prior to Dunalley I turned off the road I traversed yesterday and turned into Boomer Bay.

This strange alignment of wood was in Breaam Creek.

That's an unusual way to place your containers.

Possibly poor planning on my part but my planned route took me along gravel roads.  The only day I intended to travel unsealed roads was when I went to Cockle Creek but I've run them every day except my first day on Tasmania.

Most of the road from Boomer Bay to the photo above in Kellevie was dirt.  That said,it was smooth dirt.  I missed my planned turnoff to Nugent and somehow ended up back in Copping so ended up riding back to Sorrell and the A3 to Orford.  Looking at the map it was quite a long way round, but doing some twisties at speed was pretty cool.  I rode into the roadhouse at Buckland but they didn't have any 95ron or 98 ron so rode back out again.

One thing I like about touring is stumbling across things other Ozstocers have posted in the "where is this?" thread.  I've actually looked for a couple like the Red Rock lookout at Alvie (posted by Stinky Pete) and the Mia Mia propeller monument (posted by Williamson) but usually I fluke them.  When I had a car travelling behind me leading up to an overtaking lane I waited for them to overtake me and despite me slowing down they remained behind me so they were still behind me when the lanes merged back to one.  Not long after that there was a sign for a lookout so I turned into it to get them off my tail and as I swung around I recognised it immediately.  Jdbiker had posted it in the "where is this?" thread.

I climbed up the lookout and had a good stretch of the legs and the view was well worth it.  Who knew there were vineyards in Tasmania.  Actually I've seen a few now.

Whilst I'd have missed that lookout had that car not been up my muscat my destination for the day was Swansea so I'd probably seen it on the way back from Coles Bay.  I knew I'd get to Swansea too early for check in so had already incorporated a trip to Coles Bay into the day's itinerary.  Coles Bay was nice and as you can see the sun was out.

Apparently there are deer here too.  This another thing I have meant to ask people.  Are there dawn to dusk speeds actual enforceable speed limits or are they just recommendations.  I have notied they are always 45, 55, 65 (ie. end in 5) km/h.

Outside my accommodation in Goodwood was a school sign with flashing lights and I wondered if that changed the speed limit like they do in Adelaide or just flash to warn you children could be close by.

I'm now back in Swansea, where I'll be for the next three nights.  I stopped at this IGA to pick up some supplies (milk, bread, crisps etc.) before going to my accommodation.  Actually I also looked for more lime milk.  I've looked every day after discovering it on day one but no one else has it.

The person in the reception of where I am staying gave me a map and marked a few things in town that I may need.  She mentioned a different IGA so I asked here what the difference was between the one she said and the one I visited.  She asked me if I went outside of the grocery part of the one i visited.  I noticed other parts to it but didn't go it.  She tells me it is something else.  I might check it out tomorrow or monday.

With the bike unpacked and locked up I went for a walk along the beach and then into town.

It only dawned on me that is was saturday when I saw the local cricket team playing a game.  That was unlikely to happen on a week day.  It doesn't feel like cricket weather.

I was also recommend the Bark Mill tavern but with it being the other end of town I shan't be going there today.

The sun is out but the wind is picking up.  I've avoided rain every day except the one I went to Cockle Creek, but that was a day that the rain added to the experience.  Just about every night hail has been forecast but I don't know if it has done or not.  Tonight is the first night my bike isn't under a roof since leaving Melbourne so I am hoping it doesn't.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Bodø

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
Bodo, if that's a cow you saw at Premaydena, I'm prepared to suggest the farmer got seriously carried away with the hormone pellets.

I wasn't specifying gender.

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »

I wasn't specifying gender.

You did though. A cow is a fully grown female, preferably having birthed a calf. Heifer not having birthed. Bull is an intact Male, while steer is an male no longer intact.
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Bodø

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 02:24:48 AM »
So what's the generic word (non gender specific) for this animal?

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
Bovine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Phil.S

• ST Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
I traveled up to Tarraleah to meet with PC and Navgirl and they found Bodo out and about , so we all had some lunch together and then headed off in our different directions , a great day , weather was , I will call it reasonable, Bodo will post a photo later

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
Day 10 Ride Report

I woke to fine weather and set out for Campbell Town.  I snapped this at a turnout in Lake Leake.

After passing the roadhouse (getting used to them not being 24 hours now) turned off to check out the lake the locality is named after.

In Campbell Town I came across a level crossing that didn't have the "railway not in use" signs on it.  Does it still see trains?

This piece of machinery on the track at Ross would suggest it does.  It didn't look rusty of derelict.

I've see a few of these haystack creations now.  This one was at Oatlands.

Today's gravel comes compliments of Lower Marshes.

After getting to Bothwell I traversed the same roads I did on my first day in Tasmania so didn't stop until I got to Wayatinah.  This was where I realised I had made a wrong turn on that day.

Just after that it began to rain.

From there the plan was to go to Tarraleah where I past an ST facing the opposite direction and I couldn't help think "I wonder..." but I was travelling too fast to pull up.  I did end up pulling up the road where a harley had skidded off into the ditch.  They were travelling in a group and had passed me when I was taking the Wayatinah photo.  After signalling he was okay I went to move off when the ST I had just passed had also come back this way and was wearing an Ozstoc jacket so when they pulled into the Tarraleah community entrance and stopped I pulled in and introduced myself.  It turned out to be PC and Marian, whom I had met in Balranald earlier this year.  They had plans to have lunch with Phil. S at Tarraleah and said I was welcome to join them.  As it had just started raining it was a real instant RTE, just add water.

As Phil said, after that we went our separate ways.  I headed off to the Tarraleah power station and then Bronte Lagoon.

My plan was to take the B11 from Bronte Lagoon to Miena but half way up the road it turned to gravel (I thought B roads were supposed to be sealed) and had signs saying gravel road blah blah blah, poorly maintained blah blah blah, weather conditions blah blah blah, don't risk vehicle damage blah blah blah so heeded the warnings, turned around and headed towards Derwent Bridge thinking it would connect with the A5 until a sign saying no fuel 66km made me think something is wrong.  A quick look at google maps confirmed it so another u-turn had me heading back towards Tarraleah.  I passed another two ST's (one white, one blue) at the entrance where I caught up with PC and Marian earlier, waved and continued on.  One of them had an Ozstoc jacket on.  Unsure who they were.

A couple minutes later I stopped at had a look at the place the harley skidded off the road.

Today's cattle comes from Gretna.  When I entered Gretna I thought of the Scottish town by the same name and Gretna Green only to go on further and notice that the hotel was called just that - Gretna Green.

After wrongs turns and backtracking it had become quite a long day so I pretty much headed for the A3 and rode back to Swansea with the only stop being for fuel in Richmond and the bathroom at Orford.  I should sleep well tonight.

Thanks to PC, Marian and Phil for the great company for lunch.  See you in Port Sorell.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:01:25 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »
The white and blue bike sounds like Staya on the white ST1300 and his mate Mel on a blue FJR they were on the boat with us  more Qeenslanders :like

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 05:25:24 PM »
Day 11 Ride Report

The sun wasn't visible when I departed this morning but it was close enough to give the sky behind the Freycinet National Park a blood red color.

Travelling down the southern half of the state reminded me of rural Japan with the smell of smoke, either home incinerators or fireplaces.  I'd been meaning to mention it in a ride report for days now but always forgot, so when I saw this sign in Cranbrook I snapped it with the sole purpose of jogging my memory.

I spent quite a bit of time at the Bichenho blow hole.  If I was on the ball I'd have taken a gopro with me on to the rocks.

The holy grail.  I'd found this in Deloraine on my first day here by chance and been looking for it ever since.  I found it today at Saint Helens.

My only dirt for the day was to Ansons Bay.  My other plans for the day were changed after Phil explained to me what A, B and C roads were.

After returning to to the A3 I pretty much stayed on it until Launceston.  This was in Moorina

My only deviation was to head to Gladstone.  I found these Herbie Hancock pants in Pioneer.

I nearly didn't stop for that but just as well as I did because as I looked around at the spot (I was already off the bike) I noticed the house across the road had a rhinoceros in it (gender unknown).  I'd have missed it if I didn't stop.

This I did spot, but decided t snap it on the way back.  This was in Herrick.  There were tow others on the opposite side of the road.

As I was taking this selfie a bike with a distinct ST sound zoomed up the highway behind me.  I turned to look but can't confirm for sure if it was an ST, but it was black in color and they were riding two up.

I finally got around to taking off the helmet and putting on the Ozstoc cap for a photo.  This was at the lookout in Springfield.

I went full circle around Launceston as I got lost looking for the A1.  From there I headed to Campbell Town before returning to Swansea via the road via Lake Leake I took in the opposite direction heading to Tarraleah yesterday morning.  I did make one final stop in Perth though.

No rain at all today but plenty of strong winds.  It'a blowing a gale outside my cabin right now too.  It was actually quite warm in the latter part of the ride.  I didn't bang on the heater as I returned to my accommodation for a change.

Tonight is my last night in Swansea.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:05:19 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker

Bodø

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
Bovine.

After I posted my question I did some research into this.  What else is there to do at 3:00am?  It turns out it is cattle.  I'd always though cattle was plural, but in can be singular.  Bovinae apparently is a group that includes cattle, bison, oxen, buffaloes and yaks.

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
Beast would also have been ok as a fairly generic term for the species.
FarRider #726

Online Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
Sheep is definitely singular or plural. I'm not so sure about cattle. However, I wouldn't bet the house on it because English is a funny language and it is easy to be wrong.
FarRider #726

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:44 AM »
Sheep is definitely singular or plural. I'm not so sure about cattle. However, I wouldn't bet the house on it because English is a funny language and it is easy to be wrong.

Well I went to the obvious source for enlightenment- the Ox dictionary.  It asserts "cattle" is definitely plural.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Bodø

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2019, 01:03:53 PM »
I went back and looked at what I researched.  You're right.  I misread it.  Was the shortening to Ox intentional?

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
I went back and looked at what I researched.  You're right.  I misread it.  Was the shortening to Ox intentional?

Nah, jus foolin' around.  It seemed more apropos than "Oxford".    :grin

Bodø

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
Day 12 Ride Report

Today I packed up everything and said goodbye to Swansea.  I set off north up the A3 for the third time passing the Devil's Corner lookout.  I know JD had posted it in the "where is this?" thread and his original picture looked nothing like the tower.  I assumed he'd touched it up to throw us off the thread, but as I raced past yesterday I realised his original picture was the sign near the road, not the lookout tower.  This morning with that knowledge I stopped and took a photo of it as well.

Something I didn't notice yesterday but did this morning was the speed limits signs on either side of this road in Bicheno had different speed limits, the left saying 60 and the right 50.

Another spot which had made it to the "where is this?" thread was the Elephant Pass pancake house.  One of my workmates who lived in Tassie said I had to try the pancakes.  Alas, it was closed, otherwise I would have.

I saw a lot of these birds in Fingal.  I don't know what they are.

In Avoca the roads were wet but the sun was out.  I really only copped tit bits of drizzle in various parts of today's leg.

The truckies memorial wall is in Epping Forest.  I'm not sure if it's dedicated to truckies who have 'ridden on' or more specifically those who lost their lives on the job.

I can categorically say with certainty that these creatures in Frankford are cattle.

The name of this river reminded me of another Ozstocer (whom I have never met but I think is attending the national rally).

I rode into Devonport to do some shopping before getting to my accommodation.  There's more in the pannier.  That is one advantage of having the weather dictate that I wear all the orange stuff is that I had more room for storage.

Then is was the 16 kilometre ride to Camp Banksia, which will be my home for the next two weeks.  I haven't seen any other Ozstocers or ST's here so just maybe I am the first to arrive.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
Just as well I am a instant coffee snob and bring my own.  This is the first time I have arrived at accommodation and there's been no coffee in the room.

Bodø

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 03:04:55 AM »
I went for a walk yesterday afternoon.  I think I am the only person in the complex, Ozstoc or otherwise.