Author Topic: Quad Lock Phone Holder With Wireless Charger  (Read 2960 times)

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Quad Lock Phone Holder With Wireless Charger
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:21:01 PM »
A little while ago I needed a new phone case so I decided to look into the Quad Lock case.
When looking over the options on the website (https://www.quadlockcase.com.au/) I found that they had a wireless charging option :thumbs
Wireless charging on the bike is something I have been keeping an eye out for over the last few years so I was very happy to see this was possible with the Quad Lock case :grin

Anyway I purchased the case, the Ram Ball Mount and the Wireless charger.

I removed the standard mount form the Ram Ball and attached the Wireless Charging Head.

The Wireless Charging Head comes with everything you see below and is connected via the supplied USB cable then wired to a power source.

I sealed the cable to the Charging Head with Liquid Electrical Tape (from jaycar) and ran the cables under the tank to a switched power source.
  (Quad Lock have since added a rubber seal to waterproof the cable's connection to the head and are sending me one in the mail)

Once it was all connected to the bike I tried out the case.
It makes a solid connection and is easy and quick to lock into place or disconnect. It is a great phone holder :grin

I have been using the setup for a few weeks now and find it is great for holding the phone and is brilliant for keeping it charged.
I highly recommend it :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:30:37 PM by Shiney »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, Gerard & Sandra, CallMeSteve, ruSTynutz

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
Re: Quad Lock Phone Holder With Wireless Charger
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 07:30:39 AM »
Brilliant Shiney.

Like you I had been watching this space. I had spent some trying figuring out if I could make up a wireless charging head for my existing quadlock Mount. I eventually put it into the too hard space.  Then Quadlock released a wireless charging head but for a couple of reasons it wasn’t suitable for a motorcycle.

I hadn’t realised that they had since released this one for motorcycles.  Just what the doctor ordered. I’m no doctor but I’ve ordered one too.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
 :dred11  :Spyder
I purchased the Quadlock for the KimbUs and having a dash USB I didn’t need the charging head. I have thought about buying a bike holder but once again the Spyder has a power source so I’ve been using it in the holder I bought a year ago for Gadgets BEEstY’s delivery trip. So do I really need wireless charging?
 :Spyder
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Online CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
I think this is a 'nice-to-have' rather than a 'need'. A bit like ice-cream and chocolate.  I have a USB outlet in the LH pie warmer, but sometimes gadgets are cool.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Chris J

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
Just wondering where you can get the fitting that goes into the headstem from? it appears the quadlock ball fits nicely into it.

:blk13

Online CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
I think from memory that Shiney's bike has a Helibars bar riser with the optional RAM ball fitted.  He's used a short RAM arm (e.g. https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/ram-b-201/ to connect from there to the ball on the Quadlock mount.

If you don't have a RAM ball on your bike there are a heap of options.  For example, one of these https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/ram-b-346u/  will give you a 1" ball by replacing the standard reservoir cover.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Chris J

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
I think this is a 'nice-to-have' rather than a 'need'. A bit like ice-cream and chocolate.  I have a USB outlet in the LH pie warmer, but sometimes gadgets are cool.

You are correct the main difference between using the wireless charger and a cable to a dash usb is that the wireless head is waterproof and can charge in the rain :thumbsup

Just wondering where you can get the fitting that goes into the headstem from? it appears the quadlock ball fits nicely into it.

:blk13

I think from memory that Shiney's bike has a Helibars bar riser with the optional RAM ball fitted.  He's used a short RAM arm (e.g. https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/ram-b-201/ to connect from there to the ball on the Quadlock mount.

If you don't have a RAM ball on your bike there are a heap of options.  For example, one of these https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/ram-b-346u/  will give you a 1" ball by replacing the standard reservoir cover.

Steve is spot on :-++ :hatwave

I also have the Ram Pin-Lock Security Knob so it can't be tampered with.
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Online CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 08:42:25 AM »
So I ended up following Shiney's lead.   It's a great product.

Interestingly, mine didn't include any waterproofing around the USB-C connector either. So I asked Quadlock and they are sending me a rubber gasket just as they are for Shiney.  I don't know why it's not included - maybe the product is still new - but if you order one of these make sure you get the gasket.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 06:58:15 AM »
As I wrote above I purchased the car QuadLock for the KimbUs Motorhome. I am not overly impressed with this travelling around Qld because it won’t stay stuck to the windscreen on hot days. I also have trouble attaching the phone to it and it staying locked in either the vertical or horizontal position. I find it hard to locate it flat on the flat disc head it turns on to lock 
I have seen Shiney’s set up and think the Ram ball mount is better for motorcycle mountings and will look into getting the charging head and ball when I get back across the border and home.
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra

Online CallMeSteve

• Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »
I too bought the car mount, and I too found it wouldn’t stay stuck to the windscreen .  The version they have on their web site now looks rather different to mine, so maybe they have redesigned it.

The motorcycle versions are different from the car and desk mounts in that they have a two-stage spring loaded retention mechanism to ensure the phone doesn’t come loose.  It works very easily, and it’s a simple one-handed ‘Push and twist’ operation to remove the phone.

With regards to aligning the phone - I know what you mean. There’s an interesting muscle memory thing at play here. If I’m standing on the left of the bike I can clip the phone on smoothly every time, but if I try it from the right side I’m fumbling for  ages. I think it’s just familiarity.

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170