Author Topic: 250,000 miles on a V-Strom  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Dan

• QLD
250,000 miles on a V-Strom
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-%5B-vee%5D/75529-quarter-million-mile-252-683-k3-write-up.html

I find stuff like this interesting, it's not just ST's that can rack up the miles.  I don't think the bike has had much work done to it either.  It's on Advrider at 100,000 and 200,000.  Needed a new odometer as they stop at 199,999 miles though....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323749

I almost bought a 1000 V-Strom before the ST came up, there was a nice one for sale at Sunny Coast at the time I bought the ST.  Seems I would have got a good bike, it only had 15,000kms on it  :crackup

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: 250,000 miles on a V-Strom
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »
Reports I've heard have a preference for the 650 cc version over the 1000.  Apparently the extra power isn't that helpful to an already very good bike.

You would have bought a lighter bike with a lot less plastic to deal with.  But you wouldn't have got the best bike.   :grin
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
I was also looking at the v-storm before I got the ST.

The fact that it was higher then the ST was what tipped me towards the ST

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
Reports I've heard have a preference for the 650 cc version over the 1000.  Apparently the extra power isn't that helpful to an already very good bike.

You would have bought a lighter bike with a lot less plastic to deal with.  But you wouldn't have got the best bike.   :grin

Yeah a lot of reports seem to prefer the Wee to the Vee.  To be honest, on these strangled Aussie roads, a 650 would be more than enough - might even be more fun as you'd be able to thrash it a little bit.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
I was also looking at the v-storm before I got the ST.

The fact that it was higher then the ST was what tipped me towards the ST

I actually prefer the Adventure-bike style, they fit me nicely.  The KTM Adv 990 is a perfect fit for me, it's like it was tailor-made for me. 

I went for the ST because it was local, cheap, had hard luggage, a big fuel tank and reliability.  But to ride I reckon I would prefer the V-Strom - maybe one day I'll get to try one and see for myself!

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
My brother has the Vee, not a Wee.

I prefer my ST big time. More torque, more comfort.
Bearing in mind it's only a twin.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Down Under

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
Interesting post.  I think a lot of modern motorcycles, especially those with the larger engine capacities are capable of big mileages but they're never allowed to reach their full potential for various reasons.  I've never bought a high mileage bike myself but have had mates buy cheap used big bore bikes with over 100,000 k'ms on them and they've continued to run like clockwork with proper maintenance.     

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
Interesting post.  I think a lot of modern motorcycles, especially those with the larger engine capacities are capable of big mileages but they're never allowed to reach their full potential for various reasons.  I've never bought a high mileage bike myself but have had mates buy cheap used big bore bikes with over 100,000 k'ms on them and they've continued to run like clockwork with proper maintenance.     

I agree, dunno about Oz yet but in the UK the average annual mileage is about 3000 for a bike.  People get nervous about buying a bike with over 10,000 miles on it!  I sold my FireBlade with something like 52,000 miles on it for £1100, no-one was interested especially when you could get one with less than half of that for £1500. 

There is a guy in Melbourne that posted on a FireBlade forum, he has a '94 which he did 300,000kms on the first engine, and another 300,000 on the current one which is still going strong (and that was a race engine before he got it).

I think it's different running up high miles vs buying a bike that has already done it, but I guess if the price is right it might be worthwhile.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
The Vee is one of the FarRiders great weapons of choice too - reliable, comfortable and versatile.

In saying that - the Yammy Tenere also gets a good look in - more o that the Honny Veradero.

The Veradero seems a little better appointed in stock form as the Vee's radiator or oil cooler is curiously straight down behind the front wheel and asking to be sconed!

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/IMAGES/Lee_Dragging_Vstrom.jpg
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
The Vee is one of the FarRiders great weapons of choice too - reliable, comfortable and versatile.

In saying that - the Yammy Tenere also gets a good look in - more o that the Honny Veradero.

The Veradero seems a little better appointed in stock form as the Vee's radiator or oil cooler is curiously straight down behind the front wheel and asking to be sconed!

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/IMAGES/Lee_Dragging_Vstrom.jpg

I considered getting a Varadero after I saw one being ridden at Rockingham in the UK, the guy riding it was a well-trained Police rider and he was going like a bat out of hell!  He educated a lot of us that day.

But, they are heavy bikes and the engines aren't exactly bulletproof, camchain-related issues are pretty common I believe.  The early ones are pretty thirsty, the later ones a bit better.

I'd take a Strom over a Vara personally.