Author Topic: Malaysian GP tragedy.  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Flip

• 20 odd other bikes - FINALLY - ST Owner/Rider.
Malaysian GP tragedy.
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
 :(   

Where does this go ?

Watching the Malaysian GP  - Marco Smoncelli was killed in a terrible crash at the start of the second lap.

Thoughts and prayer with his family, friends and all those involved in the GP racing teams.

RIP Marco. 
But I AM Napoleon I tell you !
Where am I now that I need me ???
ALL others on the roads are idiots - ride accordingly !
STOC # 5709.
Ulysses Club # 40064.

Offline Streak

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Malaysian GP tragedy.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
Poor bugger, second it happened I had a sick feeling in my guts, thoughts and prayers to all
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

John Meara

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
Simply awful.  We were tuned in. Catherine cried and my guts turned.  :'(

Simoncelli had been dicing with Bautista back in about 6th, they were great to watch so early in lap 2 as Casey raced away again.  Marco low-sided as he got on the gas through right-hand corner 10 (I think). He managed to get some front grip back but this took him across the track into the paths to Edwards and Rossi, who had nowhere to go.  It looked like Edward's bike hit him first in the back while he was still with the laid down Honda, and then Rossi's bike almost took out the back of Edwards but instead scraped past to take Simoncelli's helmet off.

Channel 10's commentators were not wanting the visual replay but Malaysian telecasters showed it again.  After that the crash footage was cut short in replays to avoid the worst of it.  Unfortunately ABC national news showed the lot again, much to our disgust.

Very sad.  Last week at Philip Island Marco had done a good interview and this weekend a nice little piece before the race explaining some stuff on the bike and his wonderful character has shone through.  He was shaping up to take Rossi's place as the new character (even though he'd had those few bad incidents earlier in the season).  He will be missed. 
 :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:18:45 PM by John Meara »

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:10:05 AM »
I don't care who you followed/supported you had to admire the spirit and tenacity that he brought to the sport we all adore.  We all mourn with Italia at the loss of a very talented individual who would have gone a long way in the sport.  Thank you to his family for sharing him, his spirit and devotion, with us during the short life that was cut way too short. 

RIP #58 Marco - SuperSic. :bow 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »
Marco was well loved and respected in Motorsport.
He will be greatly missed.
R.I.P. Marco
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213