Author Topic: Anybody done it yet?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
Anybody done it yet?
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »
Maybe just now you fellows down there are starting to think about warmer weather but up here it's starting to cool down a bit and we're starting to think about prepping for the cold and white stuff.

So, has anyone done anything like modifying a grip heater system so that it/they can be clamped or bonded onto the sump casing, then connect it to a charger through some kind of timer/relay to warm the bottom end (whoa, steady there Mr 'R') before starting up on the really frosty mornings?

PJ
PJ

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Anybody done it yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
No-one would think of that here, it doesnt get cold enough to require a sump heater. If it is a bit cold, a few minutes foir the endgine to warm up and then away.

The worst I had to deal with during the winter is the occasional 100kph cross wind, and torrential rain. The coldest it got here in the west was about 0C at 0600AM
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
Warmth jealousy abounds.

I understand the winds though. Last weekend I took a mate on the back over a place called 'The Lecht' to Tomintoul. Very high, very exposed place where there's a ski-centre and I've never before done a decent right hander while leaning to the left! No idea what the wind was doing but it was a lot and gusty.

In the early eighties when we had some really severe winters at this spot there would annually be numbers die of hypothermia in their cars waiting to be rescued from the snow which had fallen quickly and deeply before they could get out of there.

Sounds like experimentation time is here again!

PJ
PJ

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »
What about using an old electric blanket cut down or folded up under the engine. Where I grew up we had a light bulb (100watt) in an enclosed box over the water pressure pump to stop it splitting in the frost. Used to get down to around -7C some mornings. Maybe a light on a stand under the bike?

:bl11

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
Folded elec blankets are very bad/ dangerous fire electrocution risk.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA