Author Topic: Advice on Sleeping?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Streak

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Advice on Sleeping?
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
Hello All,
             This is a more serious question about sleeping.

I have for years always had trouble sleeping, normal for me is bed about 12am-1am, up and around at the world at about 5am-5.30am.

i have been to all the quacks who have given me all the pills under the sun, and they all leave me foggy in the morning, so i dont really like taking them.

I have tried, reading, tv, games, counting sheep, counting motorcycles, even tried a yoga relaxation method, none of which have done much good.

frankly i am just buggered, which is making me irritable, and as Teela say's kindly....a bastard to talk to  :-[

so give me advice gents, have any of you been through this? what did you do? all i want is a good nights sleep....

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
Re: Advice on Sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
Try the Nature's Way Night MultiVitamin  (got some at Woolworths)
Doesn't make you groggy and seems to make sleep a bit better

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
A good night sleep is multi-faceted.  What works for some, doesn't work for others.  Having sold beds in retail I was fortunate to do some training explaining sleep patterns and maximizing sleep effectiveness.  I too used to have terrible sleep, but using a few pointers from below sleep quite well.  Sleeping pilles don't really work, as they mask the problem. Here are some points:

This website explains sleep very well, and I'll add some points below:
http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

* Routine is #1.  Try and go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.

Food/Drink:
* While our body is digesting, or metabolizing food/drink our body cannot rest to it's full potential.
* Coffee has a 6 hour half-life, so a coffee before bed will keep you awake as your body tries to metabolize it.  Any coffee after 12 noon will still be in your system 12 hours later. So at midnight, your body is still working when you want to be sleeping.
* Alcohol is the same, the main component of a hang-over is the fact you got bugger all sleep.  You may have passed out, but your body isn't resting in a deep sleep, it is cleansing the alcohol from your body. Even 1 or 2 glasses of red wine will keep your body working as it tries to purge the alcohol.
* Food, we all love a big meal for dinner, but the harder this is to digest, the harder your body works, and the less deep sleep you get.
* Other drugs have a similar effect.

2. Environmental factors
* Noise: Our bodies are designed to wake up to sound, this goes back to the cave-man days where survival meant hearing that sabre-toothed tiger.  So a quiet room helps, but it's not always possible.  Our brain however can cope with white noise which drowns out other bumps in the night.  A fan, air-conditioner, or static on the radio will help you get a better deeper sleep. Music is no good, and whales are annoying.
* Light will wake us it. darken your room so ambient or direct light doesn't wake you until you are ready.  Your body produces adrenalin that will wake you after the correct sleep stages.
* Temperature, our bodies like to sleep in a controlled 18 degrees c

3. Your mattress may not suit you. 
* As our bodies change, so do our mattress requirements.  If our bodies are fighting to be comfortable (tossing and turning) we cannot reach deep delta sleep.
* Partner disturbance, if Teela is having a bad night sleep, so will you (and vice versa).  Having a mattress where you cannot feel your partner moving makes a massive difference.  They do exist.
* King size mattress gives both people more room to sleep naturally

4. Medical conditions
* Sleep apnea is more common than people realize
* snoring stops you and your partner from a good sleep. You by not reaching deep sleeping stages, and partner because the has to keep hitting you to shut you up.
* see a doctor for a sleep study

There is no one answer, but by creating the right environment and eliminating all the "wrong" things gives you the best chance at a good nights sleep.

If you have a nap through the day, 20 minutes is ok, up to 40 can sometimes be, but any longer is not good as you start to get into a deeper cycle, and that will prevent you sleeping later that night. Better off plugging through the day and sleeping better that night.

If your mind is racing, jot down notes.  This technique tricks the brain.  By writing something down, it tells your brain that you are "finished" with this train of thought.

Hot Shower before bed.  By raising your body temp during the shower, it will fall quickly when you lay down tricking your body into the initial sleep stage. Hot milk can do a similar thing but doesnt work for me.

Try not to read, as this keeps your mind active.  Reading can sometimes send people to sleep, but studies show that person would have fallen asleep faster without reading. The only thing reading can do is sometimes take your mind of issues that are keeping you awake. The above point about jotting down things will work better

TV in bed or just before can keep you awake, as the bright light of the TV is just as effective as the Sun at tricking your body into thinking it's daytime.

I used an iPhone app called "Sleep Cycle" which helped me train myself to wake up properly.  By not waking to an alarm, but within a 30 minute window of a time I had to be awake by, meant I woke up fresh.  If an alarm wakes you from a deep sleep, you will be fuzzy and tired, but amazingly if you woke up gently just 10 minutes earlier, before that deeper cycle you will wake up fresh.  The app explains the concept.

Anyway, enough rambling, gives these things a go over the next 4 weeks and see if things improve. Good luck.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
RuSTyEb, great write up.

Good topic to raise Streak, by the sounds of things you definitely need to find something to help you and the family.

In my previous job I traveled throughout Australia and overseas, so time differences were a pain. 

Things that helped me and still do:-

1) Notepad and pen beside the bed, and write things down during the night, no longer use changed jobs. 

2) Warm shower before bed, still do

3) Lavender oil drop/s on pillow (trained my little brain to recognised scent with sleep time), done by lovely current wife.

Cheers
Dave
(Vega)

:dred11

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
Good write up Rusty.

I would say that probably, there is an element of work stress involved in there as well. You will have to train yourself to off load the stress a bit, as well as go to sleep earlier. Also try to leave work at a reasonable time and allow time to relax a bit while waiting for tea.

Try a simple hobby like model plane kits, jigsaws or the like, have a fiddle with it for a while and then go to bed an hour earlier for a while. After a while, go to bed earlier again. It wont take long to train your self to sleep. With 4 hrs sleep, you are into serious sleep debt and it gets hard to pay it back. If you can, lock your self in the office at lunch time, and try for a 30 min power nap. Just the act of reclining the chair in a quiet darkened room for a short while can help relax and free up the brain a bit.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Great reasearch Rusty......

With my job my sleep pattern varies from 8hrs a night down to NIL per night.....the clearer your mind when going to sleep the longer you sleep and the more refreashed you awake.....Sleep aponea is more prevalant than ppl realize.....Do you still have your Tonsils ???

cheers

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline JuST Peter

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
That's all true Rusty. Great write-up.
I can vouch for the hot shower before bed, as well as the king size bed (they're really two single mattresses side by side).
Same for eating - much better if you can have your main meal through the day rather than at night
Not too much fluid intake at night helps, but then I speak for the older generation  :p

Failing all that, install a pulley just above your pillow, run a rope through it to a bag of wet sand - pull bag of sand to top of pulley, release and HEY PRESTO! it's morning!  :grin
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »
I found the best cure for insomnia is to lay on the edge of the bed...........................

You'll soon drop-off  :thumbsup

Dave                                                            :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:42:22 AM »
AS brock said a nap during the day or a  bit of a doze will help will help with concentration for the rest of the day. Do it quite often, always function better after them.  But there are those who say not to nap.

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »
You are right Pault, a 20-40 minute nap can be fine, if you are a well rested person. Trouble is that if you aren't, somewhere in that 20-40 minutes a very tired person can fall into a deep sleep, and if this sleep is interrupted the person will wake up fuzzy or feeling worse than before. 20 minutes is a good starting point, but don't go more than 40 minutes.   Of course there are exemptions to the rule.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Mystic2

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
Hi Streak , you have been given all the right advice , I was like you couldn't get a decent night sleep and it was affecting Kim sleeping as well , so Kim organised a trip to sleep apnea Man for the test , he set up a little recorder & sensors for me , off I went home and that night ,I put it all on and went to bed. The next day I took it all back to him ,  a week later he rang & the results were in , I stop breathing 28 times and my oxygen level dropped to 74% , result I tried a machine for a month felt better , I bought my own machine , should have done it years ago . I have been on the machine for just on 12 months now  and can get through the day with out looking for a nap , I suggest it wouldn't hurt to get checked out , Good Luck .
Mystic2
 :dred11
Mystic2

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Laurie
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
 :wht11 py

I also have trouble sleeping in bed but not in the recliner. ie watch the the GP repeats, 3 mins in and watch the end etc.
If I have nothing much to keep my mind active then I can sleep standing up sitting in a chair or even in court as one of the jurors, at a lecture or any place else for that matter.
I just cannot afford one of those machines,

Tipsy

I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »
Stop worrying Streak. Have to learn to leave all that at work. All the above good advice, so try some and see what works for you. And stop worrying!

:bl11